Ares Games

Thread: Sideslips and Fire rules

Default Sideslips and Fire rules

If your plane is on fire and you cannot perform straight maneuvers whilst on fire is a sideslip classed as a straight?

No. The straight maneuver is the strict game definition of the 'straight' maneuver. Even a stall, climb or dive manuever doesn't count as a stright for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    If your plane is on fire and you cannot perform straight maneuvers whilst on fire is a sideslip classed as a straight?
    Nope, you will notice the cards are marked with arrows to left or right, the straights have arrows pointing up, so you only have those three cards unavailable to plan with.
    It may be easier to drop them out of the deck for three turns to avoid the danger completely in the heat of battle - accidents happen !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    accidents happen !
    Indeed they do - especially if your eyes are all teared-up from the flames and heat!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for your answers to Baxter's question. His question came about because I was flying the plane on fire when I planned a Split-S. As each of those moves are straight lines on the manoeuvre card, I took A damage for each of the three manoeuvres. It now seems that I should have only taken one A damage for the 'long straight' at the end of the Split-S.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Thanks for your answers to Baxter's question. His question came about because I was flying the plane on fire when I planned a Split-S. As each of those moves are straight lines on the manoeuvre card, I took A damage for each of the three manoeuvres. It now seems that I should have only taken one A damage for the 'long straight' at the end of the Split-S.
    That's correct, Doug, so you can get off relatively lightly compared to Andrea's preferred original intent of destruction - which some think is a reasonable consequence for those who break the rules and plan straights - He says Ares changed it in spite of his protest.
    Dropping the straights out of the deck for three turns would prevent it happening and remove the temptation.

Dropping the straights out of the deck for three turns would prevent it happening and remove the temptation.
    Such a simple idea, but such a good one. I reckon from now on if I get fire damage I will immediately remove the straights from the manoeuvre deck. I'll let you know how good I am at remembering!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Yep excellent suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Such a simple idea, but such a good one. I reckon from now on if I get fire damage I will immediately remove the straights from the manoeuvre deck. I'll let you know how good I am at remembering!
    Just remember to put them back in, Doug !

Take the reversal out as well, in case you mistakenly try to plan a Split-S in your Card #2 and Card #3 planning choices.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It may be easier to drop them out of the deck for three turns to avoid the danger completely in the heat of battle - accidents happen !
    Unless, of course, you want to power-dive (remember, this requires an aircraft capable of an Immelmann) to try and put out the fire. May keep one, and only one straight for this. Just, as you say later on, remember to put the missing cards back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Take the reversal out as well, in case you mistakenly try to plan a Split-S in your Card #2 and Card #3 planning choices.
    I suppose you could do that in the last turn on fire though as you're not planning a straight that turn. Just hope you don't get another fire before it ends !

Similar Missions

1. Fire in the Skies Rules:
    By flash in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 00:38
  2. Fire in the new Ares rules
    By Falange in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 20:20
  3. Fire/Overdive rules question
    By tusekine in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 15:49
  4. Deluxe rules vs fire in the sky rules.
    By Racker in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 08:19