Ares Games

Thread: Does anyone have new information?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Default Does anyone have new information?

Does anyone have any information on the status of WoG from Ares? I don’t do social media and I get the distinct impression that Ares is no longer supporting development of the game. I sent an email to the company today and hope to have a response in the next couple of days. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

As they just re-released the RAP, Duel sets & mats as well as talk of a plan to release early war duel sets one would suppose they are supporting WoG but who knows what damage the pandemic has wrought upon the company and any plans it had. Maybe they'll tell you.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    As they just re-released the RAP, Duel sets & mats as well as talk of a plan to release early war duel sets one would suppose they are supporting WoG but who knows what damage the pandemic has wrought upon the company and any plans it had. Maybe they'll tell you.

Flash, I do understand about the "recent" releases, however, I was addressing the lack of anything for WoG in the upcoming releases section (as of this morning) through November. I'm not alone with the impression that Ares has, at the very least, put WoG on the back burner while focusing on other releases. Good Lord, there are WoG minis selling for 150$+(US) on Ebay and frustrating that Ares does not acknowledge the demand that is there (IMHO). Other companies are having little to NO issues releasing mini's for their games while Ares has promised new releases for over a year (Blenheim, SM79, F4U, P38/39, etc...).

With that said, I did receive a reply from Ares today:

"Dear Eric,

thank you for your mail, we are working on new releases but the covid problem delayed everything by much more time we ever could think.
    Thank you
    Best regards"

I have to say, the COVID excuse is wearing a bit thin...

Cheers and Check Six!

Just placed a $177 order with Shapeways today. Ares has no need for my money, but Shapeways apparently likes it! And unlike every single Pfalz D.IIIa I own from Ares, the tailplanes will not be crooked! Really, if you're even a bit average as a modeler, for aircraft, I find Ares is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino52 View Post
    Flash, I do understand about the "recent" releases, however, I was addressing the lack of anything for WoG in the upcoming releases section (as of this morning) through November. I'm not alone with the impression that Ares has, at the very least, put WoG on the back burner while focusing on other releases. Good Lord, there are WoG minis selling for 150$+(US) on Ebay and frustrating that Ares does not acknowledge the demand that is there (IMHO). Other companies are having little to NO issues releasing mini's for their games while Ares has promised new releases for over a year (Blenheim, SM79, F4U, P38/39, etc...).
    With that said, I did receive a reply from Ares today:

"Dear Eric,

thank you for your mail, we are working on new releases but the covid problem delayed everything by much more time we ever could think.
    Thank you
    Best regards"

I have to say, the COVID excuse is wearing a bit thin...

Cheers and Check Six!
    The lack of anything for WoG in the upcoming releases section is not unusual, if it crops up once or twice a year that's something.
    A handful of long out of production models selling on Evil bay for stupid money is nothing new, perhaps they perceive it barely constitutes a demand for product as it has never yet effected production. Ares has always been long on promise and more than a few suggested releases have not come to fruition over the last few years, maybe they'll get there one day.
    Nice to see that you got a reply though, regardless of your opinion on it's thickness !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

They seem to me to be a slow moving company in general. All of their releases seem to take a long time. I would have hoped to see some future updates as well, but that has not happened. They are not alone. A lot of game companies have been slow in updates. I share everyone's frustrations with this, but there isn't much that can be done so I try and not let it get to me. Like Brak Morn, I have gone to painting shapeways to help fill my void for new planes.

Right now, the rumblings are that new developments in all Wings and Sails are on hold for a while. With a lot of the world in enforced social distancing that precludes social gaming, right now family/household-play friendly boardgames are where they seem to think the money is.

As of last March to April (IIRC, coulda been into May) I was working with them doing historical research and planning for the next "theme," WWII South Pacific, and things were like flipping a switch from active traffic in information and ideas one day to dead silence the next. That was the last I've heard from anyone there...

Then again, I'm starting to wonder if I'm being pushed out because I've also been providing SME and historical-data/blueprint analysis to modelers on Wargaming3d, trying to help develop crutches to keep Sails alive until the next official release.

It doesn't hep that they're a very small company with very low Market Capitalization, where they're hamstrung by cash flows and the profit from each development is all they have to pay for the next with, and that many LGS's are cheesed with them for turning to Kickstarter as a source of production capital for high-risk projects.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (complete, FINALLY!) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. I need of some information
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2021, 06:46
  2. Information please
    By Setarius in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2017, 08:25
  3. Information site
    By Foz in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8