Ares Games

Thread: Making Decals

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Default Making Decals

Just wondering if anyone knows, and if this has been posted before a link to it would suffice, but I need to get a printer anyways and was thinking about getting one that would allow me to print decals as well. I was wondering if anyone has ideas on good printers for doing this. And if so, if anyone knows what the best materials are, i.e. paper and inks, that would helpful as well.

I appreciate the help ahead of time. I am trying to get back into modelling and since I started playing WoW, I figured why not start here.

I have a run of the mill HP Deskjet that I've used for decals on the kids' pinewood derby cars. It does a fine job for those, so I'm hoping it will do just as good a job for WoW planes.

This is something have been thinking of doing myself.

I use an everyday HP photo printer and paper from this site: http://www.beldecal.com/ They have both Clear and White paper. I usually buy a combo pack. Works great for me! The key is to always print on best quality. Let the ink dry. And you must clearcoat the decal and let it dry before applying it to the model!! A light gloss clearcoat on the model before applying is helpful as well...

I have also used an HP Color Laser printer and laser decal paper as well. Awesome results... but pricey in the end!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The thread "Decals" on Page four of this forum may help to confuse you even more.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ken,

You clear coat the decals "before" applying them? Doesn't that cause them to crack? I can see clear coat "after" application, but....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Try not clear-coating, and see what happens when your new decals, printed with water-based ink, are put in water.... Of course if you have a laser printer you're fine, but with inkjet printed decals, yeah, the clear coating's a bit of an essential....

Making decals is to advanced for me. I just avoid custom decal designs and use store bought ones (or at least will!)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Definitely the way forward....

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Ken,

You clear coat the decals "before" applying them? Doesn't that cause them to crack? I can see clear coat "after" application, but....
    I would have to go with what Dom said... and no I have never had a decal crack on me. If you use TOO much clearcoat it can make it harder for the Microsol to work... but never cracks...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

One tip is that several very light sprays of clear coat is better than one heavy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    One tip is that several very light sprays of clear coat is better than one heavy one.
    And you know when I think about it, I always use Krylon Matte Clearcoat, which is designed to go on thicker with one coat, and promises no cracking... It works like a charm and is not that expensive!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Making an O deck
    By Scotty in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 11:15
  2. Making Decals
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 08:11
  3. Site: Anyone Proficient in making PDFs?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 05:30
  4. Map making II
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 03:52
  5. Map making
    By ste_marthe in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 14:39