Ares Games

Thread: First cardmodel is in the hanger ...

Default First cardmodel is in the hanger ...

Well here it is, my first attempt at a 1/144 scale cardmodel.
    Now all I need is gimbal mounts to be back in stock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CamelDone1.JPG   CamelDone2.JPG  

Excelent job Mark - I admire especially the clean lines of the wings and fuselage

Wonderfull job.
    Don't think I could do anything like as well as that

Glad to see another cardmodeler showing the forum that making the planes in 1/144 scale is possible.

Your plane looks great.

It is just as good as the commercial models and cost a fraction of the commercial model's price.

P.S. See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Gimbles-galore!

There is also another thread which mentions using dressmaker pins for gimbal mounts but I can't find it at the moment.
    Last edited by Zakopious; 11-23-2011 at 10:09.

Turned out fantastic Mark!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

A real smart piece of work Mark. All the more so because it is your first effort in this medium. Well done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nicely done!

Thumbs up

Congrats on a very nice & crisp "first build".
    Very well done!

Wow! Very, very impressive. Would never guess that it is paper.

Amazing! Excellent work, Mark. How did you manage to make the wheel hubs? Them things are small!?
    Well done indeed!

Jure

You sure that's your first?

A terrific job, Mark. Really well done. I wish I could manage work like that.

John.

Yes, very nicely done! Oh, and it must be your lucky day... the Gimbal Mounts are back in stock.

Excellent work there.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wow!Looks nice indeed!

That's great! And I need to know how you did that prop! (I'm going to have to make one for a plane I'll be working on, and yours looks great so I want to replicate it.)

Thank you for all of the kind words.
    A lot of credit goes to two excellent posts from Getter 1 and Zakopious
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ot-Card-models
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...s-by-Zakopious
    These two posts are full of useful tips for anyone interested in building card-models for WoW.

While this was my first model at 1/144 scale, it is not my first card-model. I have built a handful of Pokémon for my kids and a 1/72 scale A13 tank for my son (AKA Awesome Dude). It was built to be played with and is showing some "battle damage"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A13Tank.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    That's great! And I need to know how you did that prop! (I'm going to have to make one for a plane I'll be working on, and yours looks great so I want to replicate it.)
    Check out the post by Zakopious:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post99891

I resized the originals in Paint Shop Pro and printed it on transparency film. I was initially not happy with the "grip" that I got with super glue (Loctite Control Gel). To give the glue something to hold on to I used a small drill bit to make a hole in the center that was a little smaller than the "shaft" (very small section of toothpick) that I mounted on the front of the engine. It now seems to be holding securely.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, very nicely done! Oh, and it must be your lucky day... the Gimbal Mounts are back in stock.
    Thats great! Just in time for Cyber Monday!
    Let's see how lucky I am ... since I have no official WoW miniatures, I also need altitude pegs to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jure View Post
    Amazing! Excellent work, Mark. How did you manage to make the wheel hubs? Them things are small!?
    Well done indeed!

Jure
    Yes I could not have done it without magnification, I have an Optivisor with a 2.5x lens. A google search for optivisor da5 will show what I mean.

The wheel hubs were rolled with the help of a toothpick. See Getter 1's post (step 26)
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post65018

I used 65lb card stock and found that I got better results if I "de-layered" the paper like he showed with rolling the guns ( also step 26 ) This helped get a uniform shape and also reduced the white edge visible around the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
    Check out the post by Zakopious:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post99891

I resized the originals in Paint Shop Pro and printed it on transparency film. I was initially not happy with the "grip" that I got with super glue (Loctite Control Gel). To give the glue something to hold on to I used a small drill bit to make a hole in the center that was a little smaller than the "shaft" (very small section of toothpick) that I mounted on the front of the engine. It now seems to be holding securely.
    At first I put a pin through the disk and secured it with super glue.
    This did not work well because the super glue caused a frost or haze on the prop disk.

Then I tried using the clear UHU glue which sticks to plastic and it worked well with no frost or haze.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    the super glue caused a frost or haze on the prop disk.
    I am not sure if it is the super glue I used (Loctite Control Gel) or the transparency ( Apollo Transparency Film for Ink Jet Printers) but I did not seem to have any issues with haze.
    Depending on how it holds up, I may try the UHU.

I am not sure if it is the super glue I used (Loctite Control Gel) or the transparency ( Apollo Transparency Film for Ink Jet Printers) but I did not seem to have any issues with haze.
    Depending on how it holds up, I may try the UHU.
    I am surprised that you had no haze.
    It is a very common problem, Google (superglue haze).
    There is a superglue which is said to not cause haze.
    See: http://www.filla-glu.com/page_2420241.html

I ruined one of the Oberst's bases with Super Glue haze, the first time that I glued a peg into one. It made me a lot more careful with transparent objects after that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes I could not have done it without magnification, I have an Optivisor with a 2.5x lens. A google search for optivisor da5 will show what I mean.

The wheel hubs were rolled with the help of a toothpick. See Getter 1's post (step 26)
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post65018

I used 65lb card stock and found that I got better results if I "de-layered" the paper like he showed with rolling the guns ( also step 26 ) This helped get a uniform shape and also reduced the white edge visible around the piece.
    Yes, I got the Optivisor the other day, thank you very much for the advice! I went and ordered it right away, my eyes are grateful...

Jure

Yes, I got the Optivisor the other day, thank you very much for the advice! I went and ordered it right away, my eyes are grateful...

Jure
    Glad to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    I am surprised that you had no haze.
    It is a very common problem, Google (superglue haze).
    There is a superglue which is said to not cause haze.
    See: http://www.filla-glu.com/page_2420241.html
    I was also surprised. I tried it first on a piece of scrap transparency, partly because I was expecting haze. My wife ( a chemist ) thought that it may be the slower cure rate of the gel glue resulting in a lower concentration of fumes and/or the relatively low humidity that we had on the day I did the gluing. I do not have any other CA glue at this time, but it would be interesting to compare the normal stuff with the gel. I may just get some UHU so that I do not have to worry about it.

Jure
    Must get my eyes tested, I read that as 'Ovipositor'

great job, looks superb, well done.

That is very nice....the detail is incredible

missed this until now, thats a great piece of work well done.