Ares Games

Thread: New Game Coming to KIckstarter

Default New Game Coming to KIckstarter

I saw a new game is coming to Kickstarter called "Aces High". Here's the blurb - it sounds familiar

Aces High is a game for 2-4 players that recreates dogfights in the skies of the First World War between 1916 and 1918!

The game represents 25 different historical aircrafts, belonging to the 2 sides: Central Powers and Allies.

Each player takes control of a plane and with his own deck of Maneuver Cards and controls its movements to try to make his opponents retreat, or rather, shoot them down.

Basing on the speed of their aircraft, each player chooses which maneuvers they will carry out in the current turn.

The players reveal them simultaneously, then, one at the time, move their planes accordingly. If an opponent comes into your sights, you can shoot him to try to take him down!

All the planes in the game have a deck composed in a certain way to match the maneuvering possibilities of each plane.

In addition to individual aerial duels, the game also features a "Campaign" mode, where through a series of missions you will gain experience to become Veterans and Aces and therefore be able to add the coveted Acrobatic Maneuvers to your deck of maneuvers!

I smell Copyright Infringement...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (complete, FINALLY!) | WWII (complete)

There was a game of that name from 1980 - wonder if it's an extension of that ? Certainly looks to have been played with WoG minis from images on BGG.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6732/aces-high

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

This is a new game from Italy, not the 1980s game

Does it have a KS link yet?

Not yet, but soon. I have put myself on their 'notify at launch' list

Don't get me wrong, if they're genuinely bringing something new to the table I wish 'em luck, esp with Ares abandoning the "card" game market.

If they're just doing a unlicensed stealth revival of OG WoW, I REALLY hope they get a licensing deal put together for everybody's sake.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (complete, FINALLY!) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Does it have a KS link yet?
    Aces High, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects..._project_share

A new game from a passionate amateur designer from Northern Italy.
    Nothing to do with the old "Aces High" game. Just a naive choice of a title that has been already used in the past and might be confusing.
    Well, it is pretty clear that there are several problems with this project. Every single counter and plane mat in the video uses an unauthorized drawing by Auletta from our game - even the very discussed and discontinued all red Dr.I of our first edition. The description of a "deck of Maneuver Cards" "composed in a certain way to match the maneuvering possibilities of each plane", featuring simple segments of movement that players secretly compose in a planning phase at the start of each turn, might also sound very familiar to people on this forum and lead to confusion in the public.
    Ares Games is dealing with it. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 05-15-2024 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I smell Copyright Infringement...
    Very perceptive of you DB.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the Caveat emptor warning Andrea.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    A new game from a passionate amateur designer from Northern Italy.
    Nothing to do with the old "Aces High" game. Just a naive choice of a title that has been already used in the past and might be confusing.
    Well, it is pretty clear that there are several problems with this project. Every single counter and plane mat in the video uses an unauthorized drawing by Auletta from our game - even the very discussed and discontinued all red Dr.I of our first edition. The description of a "deck of Maneuver Cards" "composed in a certain way to match the maneuvering possibilities of each plane", featuring simple segments of movement that players secretly compose in a planning phase at the start of each turn, might also sound very familiar to people on this forum and lead to confusion in the public.
    Ares Games is dealing with it. Let's see what happens.
    I think it looks more like the Blue Max 2013 game revised than ours. Reading the rules, I do not think this is going to be any sort of threat to the popularity of WoG. The blurb did say that the graphics were not finalised but they should have got permission to use Auletta's work.

The Kickstarter is underway and I've backed it. It looks like a more complex game than WoW (aircraft have a number of damage locations for example) and the game is played on a hex mat (which looks great).

Roberto and Andrea gat a mention in the credits so all good

Backed. Kinda blends some Check Your 6, Blue Max, and another Kickstarter game I have for 1920s-30s air combat.

Thanks all for the info, I will keep an eye open.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. interesting. but itll never beat wings of glory as far as im concerned.

Similar Missions

1. New Kickstarter for WW2 game
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2023, 12:46
  2. Ares announcements: new game on kickstarter
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-07-2019, 13:08
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2018, 13:04
  4. Holy Moley - Staaken and Handley Page are coming on Kickstarter