Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWI / WWII AirBattle Movies

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Sadly, it has just been announced that the actor Richard Todd, who played Guy Gibson in the original film "The Dambusters" has died aged 90

He played Major Howard in 'The Longest Day', who led the glider assault on the Pegasus Bridge. During the war, he was a para who was guarding Howards flank.

Sad to see him go, he was a d*** fine actor.

Henry

Idoites

I love Catch-22. They screwed up the story, but oh, those formation sequences! They even wrecked a real B-25 for the crash scene (very Howard Hughs).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    He played Major Howard in 'The Longest Day', who led the glider assault on the Pegasus Bridge. During the war, he was a para who was guarding Howards flank.

Sad to see him go, he was a d*** fine actor.

Henry
    Yes he was an intelligence officer in the war. I just saw the interview with him about that film and his part in it. At one point he was talking to another officer during the action. He said that what was so strange was that the officer he was talking to was 'himself'. He said "I was standing there playing my commanding officer talking to myself standing over there". Very strange. How many people can say that without getting locked up?

I was living in Jersey (Channel Islands) during the making of the Battle of Brittian and the Spanish ME109's made a refuling stop there. In the Jersey War Meusum (a former German underground Hospitial built by Russian POW's) there is a picture of German ME109's (about 1941/42) lined up on the runway near the control tower. When the Spanish ME109's were refuling, they posed the ME109's exactly the same way as the original photo, and took new photes, my father was one of the people/spectator who was also able to get a photo of this. Also it is true that when the Spanish/German Heinkel's crossed the coast into Brittian they were bounced by a Spitfire and Hurricane from the RAF's historical unit! It is reported that the Spanish pilots were not to happy about this.
    Last edited by Doug; 12-31-2009 at 19:10.

Hey Doug, I was just flicking through the latest Video-Eyz catalouge that arrived in the letterbox today and it shows that "The Red Baron" will be released on DVD in Australia on the 6th of January. Not sure what language its in though, I downloaded the movie a while back and it was in German with English subtitles. Have to say I was very fairly disapointed with the film version I saw, I had higher expectations as I followed a weekly BLOG on the official site during production and it looked like it was going to be good but it seems a fair bit of the movie must have ended up on the film editors floor. All the same it wont stop me from making a purchase.

Thanks for that Trevor, I will be going to put it on order.

Although it is out of the WW1/WW2 time period. I realy like the Aircav attack on the VC village, in Appcolips Now, I bought the movie just for that segment.

Quote Originally Posted by nachinus View Post
    There is an odd Czech movie called Dark Blue World about czech pilots in the RAF (and their grim aftermath in their commie homeland after the end of the war) which is worth watching. Although it's not totally focused in air combat it has really really good combat scenes.
    Dark Blue World (2001) was a pretty big bang for czech cinematography - the most expensive film ever, but I really like it - it is one of my favourite films. There were two real spitfires and one B-24, others are perfect models from laminate.
    If you are remembering the landscape near the airfield in film, you can see two big mountains (in south England something unrealistic) - director said, that it is intention (like two breasts of women who stand between two pilots - main characters) By the way, screenwriter and director are father and son and that was their fourth or fith film together.

And we have just one nice film about pilots during the WWII: Riders in the Sky (1968). It is about two czech gunners in british bomber squadron and a girl between them (again ). This film was undesirable during the Communistic era and it was saving to depository for 21 years.

Default Command Decision

"Command Decision" is a B&W 1948 film starring Clark Gable, who served in WW2 as aircrew on a B17. He plays a B17 group commander. It is an excellent film, not least because it was made so close to the end of the war. The film incorporates actual combat footage, but more importantly the actors are living the 1940's and their performances are genuine, not coloured by some modern director pushing a political or philosophical wheelbarrow.

Here is a Top Ten Best and Worst Aviation Movies list.

http://www.historynet.com/top-10-bes...ion-movies.htm

Working my way through it now.

Henry

Thumbs up WW2 Movies

You forgot Catch-22, The War Lover with Steve McQueen , Hanover Street with Harrison Ford , Flying Leather Necks, God is my Co Pilot and Battle Hymm
    with Rock Hudson both WW2 and Korea. I forgot a Guy Named Joe Wit Spencer
    Tracy.
    I bought a DVD of Hells Angles off Amazon last year.
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 01-18-2010 at 12:58. Reason: incorrect information

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    Here is a Top Ten Best and Worst Aviation Movies list.

http://www.historynet.com/top-10-bes...ion-movies.htm

Working my way through it now.

Henry
    Nice site Henry but I didn't see Dawn Patrol. Which is one of my favorites. It gives me some to look for thou. Thanks

Tom

Default Vietnam movies

I know it's Vietnam War stuff but Bat-21 had some good shots of aircraft, and Flight of the Intruder was also excellent.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Aces High", although I must confess, having watched it again recently it wasn't as good as I remembered from my childhood. Anyone else seen it?

Thumbs up Twelve O'Clock High

My favorite movie of all time. There isn't much combat footage, but the film that is there is great. One error though. Some of the footage shows german fighters shooting at the B-17s, but the closeups are actually P-47s. Another interesting fact is that the USAF uses the movie for Professional Military Education (PME) courses. The different leadership styles between Col. Keith Davenport and BrigGen Frank Savage. They also talk about the different approaches Savage uses depending on the person and situation.

Great movie.

I have been to Duxford aerodrome in the U.K. where part of the 'Battle of Britain' was filmed. It is now an air museum. They said that the film crew did more damage to the site than the Germans did in the entire war.

Thumbs up Fighter Squadron

Here is another great one. Hollywood with P-47`s in the background. Done with National Guard unit still flying them. I overheard a conversation last year, a gentleman was describing his post war flying. He flew 2000 hours in P-47`s
    in the Guard.

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

All good flicks as mentioned but I do like and recommend "The Great Waldo Pepper: with Robert Redford. Barnstorming and fight sequences.

Hey guys just came across a short video about ww2 bombers with Jimmy Stewart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoY8Cj1larg Enjoy.

Tom

Wingman Fran

Did anyone mention the movie Wings? old silent film, black and white. The WWI planes flying in it are I believe the real deal as I think it was made in the 20's? My all time favorites though were "Battle of Britian", "Tora, Tora, Tora". "Memphis Belle" was good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    All good flicks as mentioned but I do like and recommend "The Great Waldo Pepper: with Robert Redford. Barnstorming and fight sequences.
    I like that movie as well.

For WWI how about Darling Lili, and von Richtofen and Brown. Plus a good one for the Korean war, The Hunters with Robert Mitchem and Robert Wagner (very good jet fighting sequences). Also Dive Bomber(pre WW2 movie with Errol Flynn) the movie is set in pre-WW2 Southern California, not a great movie but some good flying scenes, The Spirit of Saint Louis with Jimmy Stewart, again some good flying scenes. If you like helicopters Blue Thunder, and a really bad movie with some good helicopter flying scenes FireBirds.

Hello,

Have to say first up that here in OZ when the Battle of Britain movie was released, there also appeared in stores Battle of Britain bubble gum cards..

At the time my friends and I where swapping cards at school...each was a different still from the film...so you can imagine how many cards you could collect...

I took a girl I had a crush on at school to see it with me...not the best move on my part...

In turn I think she took me to see "The Sound Of Music"...

It did have Germans in it ...

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

Being a former USCG Rescue Swimmer, I like TOP GUN!
    Especially when the USCG is called upon to rescue US Navy aviators.

Battle of Britain
    The Dam Busters
    633 Squadron
    Blue Max
    Aces high
    12 o clock High ( movie) and there used to be an American series by the same name I think.
    TV series Wings
    TV series Piece of Cake
    Flyboys ( pity all German aircraft were DR1 and painted Red but hey it was WW1 planes)
    Red Baron ( really enjoyed this one)
    Battle of Midway
    Tora Tora Tora

Could/Would someone use this post to as a basis for running a poll using the 10 BEST air war movies that has been listed on this post? I'd like to add some of my favorites. Battle of Britain, Midway, Tora! Tora! Tora!, and please don't laugh or snub your nose, Disk 5 of the Young Indiana Jones series "Attack of the Hawkmen".
    Last edited by Ed2; 11-21-2010 at 17:11.

I came across some dvd's on Amazon today called 'Dogfights' series 1 and 2 dealing with historic dogfights from all eras. Has anyone watched these, please?

History Channel show. I've seen a few episodes, very good.

Default Dog fights

Here's some you can see on youtube. I never get tired of watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj7bPQXEUfo

Tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Here's some you can see on youtube. I never get tired of watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj7bPQXEUfo

Tell me what you think.
    WOW! The graphics are so good nowdays. Thanks Tom.

Now I'm going back to watch the rest.

I have to go with Blue Max as my favorite WWI aviation flick. I am not sure I could name a favorite WWII Aviation flick, but anything with John Wayne would be up there... (my Dad was a fan so I was raised on The Duke.)

I am also very fond of a few key scenes in the movie 1941.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

For World War II, 12 O'Clock High is #1 on my list. Close behind is a rarely seem gem called Fighter Squadron with Edmond O'Brien & Robert Stack. One of those rousing 1950's war films from Warner Bros.

When it comes to World War I, I think that although The Blue Max is a very good movie, the number one position goes to The Dawn Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have been to Duxford aerodrome in the U.K. where part of the 'Battle of Britain' was filmed. It is now an air museum. They said that the film crew did more damage to the site than the Germans did in the entire war.
    Apparently they blew up the wrong hangar - the film people were told they could demolish one whch was rather delapidated and counted along from the wrong end

On the day of filming the staff sat watching the shenanigans and waited for the bang. Imagine their faces when the wrong building fell down!

Another goodun - the Hunters - Sabres in Korea 1958 with Robert Mitchum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ9q_iUZl34

Rule #1 from Piece of Cake, don't fall in love with a French girl, she will get killed.

Default the move

do you know most of the plane's are rc.models. grate move!

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldRS View Post
    do you know most of the plane's are rc.models. grate move!

To which movie are you referring?

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

I would expect the Number One lesson to be WATCH YOUR BLOODY ARSE! Did no one bother to check 6 in that squadron?

Just got Blue Max on bluray for my B'day last week. I've seen a few of the others mentioned here, but don't have them. Just missed the US opening of Red Baron in KC a few months ago (by one day)!

Favorite movie, though not air oriented is Zulu (also like Zulu Dawn).

Blue Max good movie. My favorite one is Dawn Patrol. I've got Red Baron from England also have a multi unit DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Just got Blue Max on bluray for my B'day last week. I've seen a few of the others mentioned here, but don't have them. Just missed the US opening of Red Baron in KC a few months ago (by one day)!

Favorite movie, though not air oriented is Zulu (also like Zulu Dawn).

I thougth the flying scenes in Red Baron were quit good.. The whole film was better than I anticipated to be honest.
    Ok they added some love interest and so but hey..it's a movie not a documentary.
    It didn't have the blatant anachronisms that Flyboys had ( althoug I quit enjoyed that one too )
    Blue Max is still my favourite and beside that I think I'll have to stock upon DVD's...there's still a lot missing in my colection

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

Should the movie Red Baron been about any other German flier even fictitious, it would have been an acceptable movie. However when you go and name it "Red Baron" then take "artistic license" with an actual person who's history is quite well known, throw in events that NEVER happened, you produce something usually found at the bottom of a horse stall.

@Mac

Point taken...
    But then this is a common practice with movie-makers: they tend to bend history to their needs all for the sake of the box-office. It is all about the money after all.
    For example the story about ENIGMA in the film U551 (?) ...As far as I know it was the British that managed to get ENIGMA and no american sailor ever came near to it...
    But to someone who knows little or nothing about history it is an exiting movie...

The real sad thing about this practice is that young people tend to take the movies for truth and don't bother about learning the way it really was.

But then again...isn't history written by the victors?

This said I thought the flying scenes were good
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 12-22-2010 at 07:51. Reason: grammar

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Yes, the movie Sky Riders (1968) is a beautiful film. I saw it as a kid.
    As Welington was rebuilt Dakota. The film is black and white in order to put an authentic images. Only information I'll tell you the movie describes the adventures of bomber crews, composed of Airmen: Czechoslovakia, Canada, England.

A list of WW1 films I've seen which I liked to various degrees

Wings
    Hell's Angels
    Flight Commander (Dawn Patrol 1930)
    Ace of Aces
    Dawn Patrol (1938)
    The Blue Max - Best WW1 flying scenes still to this day
    Aces High
    Lafayette Escadrille
    Von Richthofen and Brown
    Flyboys
    Der Rote Barron

The Young Indiana Jones series when he was in WW1 and the Attack of the Hawkmen
    are alot of fun

And some lunacy like Biggles Adventures in Time (I thought this was fun) and Sky Bandits (totally sucked)

And some short films by Peter Jackson are good and soon I hope will include one with
    my old Pfalz D12 in it.

Rick

I must agree with most of your movies, but no one has mentioned Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo yet. Another great movie.

The Peter Jackson WW1 aerial shoirt that plays at the Australian War memorial is awesome - similar to the scenes in "The Red Baron" but better. I stayed at the museum for the best part of half a day to watch it again and again. A real pity they didn't sell a version of it on DVD in the gift shop, they'd make a fortune

It begins with some b&w footage, which was posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrIf...eature=related

The CGI display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, is also rather good (although old), going through the landing on of a Buccaneer on board HMS ARK ROYAL. My little boy made us watch it a dozen times when he was in his push chair. No wonder then that he has a fascination with aircraft and big ships

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12