Thread: On this day 23 January - the sinking of the HMS Janus

Default On this day 23 January - the sinking of the HMS Janus

HMS Janus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23 764px-HMS_Janus_(F53)_IWM_FL_003695.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	120923

On the 23rd of January 1944, the HMS Janus (F53), under the command of Lt.Cdr. William Brabazon Robert Morrison, RN, was sunk off the Anzio beachhead, approximately 35 miles south of Rome. Within 20 minutes, she sank, losing the majority of her crew. Only 80 members survived, being rescued by HMS Laforey, HMS Jervis, and other small craft. Participating in Operation Shingle, part of the Battle of Anzio, she, along with Jervis, had fired over 500 salvos of 4.7” shells. Janus was a Javelin (J-class) destroyer, named after the Roman god. Laid down on the 29th of September 1937, she was commissioned on the 5th of August 1939.

Dornier Do 217

Name:	23 dornier-do-217-bomber-04.png 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	120924

Henschel Hs 293

Name:	23 795px-Rocket_Henschel_Hs_293_A_front.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	120925

There are two versions regarding the sinking of the Janus. One version postulates that a Dornier Do 217 (5.Wing KG100) struck the fatal blow with a Henschel Hs 293 glider bomb. Another version states that a German Heinkel He111 torpedo bomber dropped a Fritz X. The Fritz X, also known as a Ruhrstahl SD 1400 X, Kramer X-1, PC 1400X or FX 1400, was a German guided anti-ship glide bomb.

Heinkel He111

Name:	23 Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-343-0694-21,_Belgien-Frankreich,_Flugzeug_Heinkel_He_111.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	120926

Fritz X

Name:	23 800px-Fritz_X_side.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	120927

References
    http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/4450.html
    http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chr...-37J-Janus.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Janus_(F53)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_X

Now that gives me an idea for more anti-shipping rules.

However did find this in the wiki link:

Fritz-X is often incorrectly listed as having been responsible for the loss of the hospital ship HMHS Newfoundland at Salerno as well as the destroyer HMS Janus and the light cruiser HMS Spartan at Anzio. However, these ships were hit by Hs 293s, as clearly demonstrated by a careful analysis of Luftwaffe records regarding the deployment of III./KG 100,[6] the nature of the damage inflicted,[10] as well as reports from witnesses.[11] (In the case of Janus, either an Hs 293 or a conventional torpedo was responsible.)
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 01-23-2014 at 04:46.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Neil, I think this specific scenario could make for an interesting "What if?" by flying it twice, once with one type of bomber/bomb combo, and once with the other combo.

Stories like this always remind me of the humility we must have in our knowledge claims about historical events. Even in events we experience, we see things and remember things from given perspectives. Fun stuff to be sure.

The USS Savannah was a confirmed hit with a Friz X....might make for a scenario for you guys.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Savannah_%28CL-42%29

As an aside, what a beautifully clear picture of HMS Janus. I often find contemporary pictures of warships in B&W very difficult to make out in detail.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow, she's huge.

Already on it. Making some guided bombs just need to figure stand and some rules.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Neil, I think this specific scenario could make for an interesting "What if?" by flying it twice, once with one type of bomber/bomb combo, and once with the other combo.

Stories like this always remind me of the humility we must have in our knowledge claims about historical events. Even in events we experience, we see things and remember things from given perspectives. Fun stuff to be sure.

Guided bombs sound cool, might improve my bombing.

I might have known that you would be on the case Neil, and I'd only just looked at the pictures and thought, "My word those look tasty but not from my chaps point of view".
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent forage in the past as usual, Eric. I was getting a bit scared that you had stopped. Relief!

I see that you're already on top of things, Neil.

Only got the wiki data for this one:

HS 293-1000 built-27 hits-2.7% success rate!

I think it would be good for a one off or something to put on at a show. Mainly used in Italian theatre (Med). Allies quickly came up with CC measures. Americans attacked the control frequency for guidance whilst the British:

Meanwhile, as attacks were taking place at Anzio, the United Kingdom began to deploy its Type 650 transmitter which employed a different approach. This system jammed the Strassburg receiver's intermediate frequency of 3 MHz, and appears to have been quite successful, especially as the operator did not have to attempt to find which of the 18 Kehl/Strassburg command frequencies were in use and then manually tune the jamming transmitter to one of those frequencies. This system automatically defeated the receiver regardless of which radio frequency had been selected for an individual Luftwaffe missile.
    Just located this data:

2000 Fritz X built - 200 used operationally. 8 named targets + several others, with a minimum of 10 recorded hits (1 Uganda, 1, Savannah, 1 close miss Phillidelphia, 1 Italia, 2 Roma, 3 Warspite being the only numbered hits of the 7 named targets. The missing two are HMS ships engaged in the bay of Biscay HMS Egret, Athabaskan)

About 50% of those built used up in trials and tests.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Guided bombs sound cool, might improve my bombing.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 01-24-2014 at 03:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    One wonders how many bombs "didn't hit" because the bomber never had a chance to launch....

Both types had there downfalls. Mother aircraft either had to follow the target parallel to or follow the bomb direct towards the target. Each with its own inherent risks from enemy aircraft or AA from the ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Only got the wiki data for this one:

The art of quoting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henschel_Hs_293

This first rocket propelled weapon was relativ effective air to ship bomb in my eyes.

Imagine how much conventional bombs missed their naval targets.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    One wonders how many bombs "didn't hit" because the bomber never had a chance to launch....
    Or how many were never even loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Or how many were never even loaded.
    Those, too.

Similar Missions

1. On this day 11 January - a One Man Air Force
    By 7eat51 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 15:40
  2. WSF January's work bench
    By johnbiggles in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 09:44
  3. On this day 2 January - U.S. Navy and Blimps
    By 7eat51 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 14:31
  4. Sinking the Schloss Wolfenstein for more players?
    By PRS in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 18:13
  5. WoW/G in Champaign IL, 27-29 January.
    By Ranger in forum US Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 17:27