Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you use the official playmats?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

102 33.33%
  • One of them

26 8.50%
  • Both

82 26.80%
  • No, but I would like to!

96 31.37%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official playmats?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    All the questions now then Don. How much? how big, where from and can you post a picture.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob, managed to get a few pictures with my rubbish camera, colours a bit washed out but you can get the idea
    Don
    Attached Images

Thanks Burt.
    That has given me even more food for thought.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well guys I was against it but I broke down and got the WoW maps and I love them. I believe it attracts more players with it's eye candy appeal. Look forward to using them in our 1st campaign this Monday.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I now have two sets, for the big campaign games we lay them out on adjoining 4'x6' tables. We offest them a bit but they line up pretty good. The second set was a present from the local gaming establishment for starting and running the campaign game.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Those pics are spectacular, well done.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I purchased both maps from the LGS and now use them there every week that we play there. I like them and alot of interest in WoW is generated when we're playing as people come by more now to check it out than before we played on the mats.

Burt, I love those western front maps!

Quite happy with my official WoW ones though - I fought against it for a long time (ok, a time at least), but now I'm hooked.
    The only drawback is that they're a bit slick, so cards tend to move a bit now and then - Used to play on a felt gaming table on which all card stayed where you put them.

Mikeathome

To expensive for me also.
    But would like them.

I like to make my own terrain for miniature games and I just started WoW. I don't have them yet, but I plan on getting them in the near future.

I like my official mats, but I've been looking for a good way to transport them. I found the triangle-shaped boxes awkward so I taped them together into a parallelogram, which is also awkward.

I picked up some ALVIN® Blueprint Sleeves which are inexpensive (2 for $8.95), lightweight and have a carrying strap, but I was wondering if anyone else might have a better or different transport method.

AlvinBP28.png
    ALVIN® Blueprint Sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    I like my official mats, but I've been looking for a good way to transport them. I found the triangle-shaped boxes awkward so I taped them together into a parallelogram, which is also awkward.

I picked up some ALVIN® Blueprint Sleeves which are inexpensive (2 for $8.95), lightweight and have a carrying strap, but I was wondering if anyone else might have a better or different transport method.

AlvinBP28.png
    ALVIN® Blueprint Sleeve
    I think Ken told me to use those tubes to send blueprints in. You can get them a any postal place. I was just wondering if they would fit in the case you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Hi Rob, managed to get a few pictures with my rubbish camera, colours a bit washed out but you can get the idea
    Don
    Great Gaming surface, Don!
    Plus I LOVE that Black 'tross!

Just got a WoW playmat as an early birthday present. I wanted it mainly to help attract people in demo games, but am thinking that it's going to be a little small. I am thinking that I can easily make something along the same lines using auto headliner material I saw in a local fabric store. It should provide a little padding for those 'oops' moments. Eventually I may get up enough motivation to paint it up. Will be sure to let everyone know how it turns out!

What struck me when I first got my mats was that they seemed basically to be constructed as huge mouse mats. I seem to remember that back in the day when people still used mouse mats, there were lots of printing services that made custom mouse mats from your own photos, at no great cost. It's probably possible for print shops to make much better and larger such custom products today, quite cheaply - Has anyone looked into having mats like that made?

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    What struck me when I first got my mats was that they seemed basically to be constructed as huge mouse mats. I seem to remember that back in the day when people still used mouse mats, there were lots of printing services that made custom mouse mats from your own photos, at no great cost. It's probably possible for print shops to make much better and larger such custom products today, quite cheaply - Has anyone looked into having mats like that made?
    There's a company that has single color mats. Here's the link. I guess if you want you could paint them with cloth paint. If you find anything else please post the link.

Thanks
    Tom

I use both official mats, and they are fantastic to play on although they didn't line up properly when I first got them and had to trim the edge of one to get it to work.

I enjoy both WoW maps and it does bring more players to the game. I want to add to my wish list a set of maps for DoW as well.

Tom

I am starting to think that a combo of mats may be the answer. The official ones for demo purposes are obviously a crowd drawer. For photo shoots a more realistic terrain would be better.
    Rob.

My original vote was no. But I guess sense I bought them I need to change my vote.

The official mats are expensive, look nothing like the western front or rural France and have obtrusive logos on them. Apart from that they're fine!

I prefer to make my own from three $1 sheets of foam core board; quick, cheap and if they damage or wear out I can make another one in no time at all.

I use both of them. They are of good quality, lay flat, add some climate and make cards pickup easier.

Now that I've made my own, I mostly use the official Nexus mats for traveling -- either when I go to a friend's house, or if I visit my parents (my father has become quite enamored with the game). The store fairly well in the boxes they are packaged in, and they're small enough that I can fit both in a duffle bag and carry on my shoulder.

They are expensive, but I would like to buy them some day.

BTW- Since Ares Games is now publishing WOW, I wonder if they will be making new maps.

There is a store in Grayslake, IL called Unique Games and Gifts. They had them both as of last week. They might be able to send them to you if you call them. Their number is 847-548-8270.

Let me know if they dont want to send them down and maybe I can pick them up and mail them for you.

I made the matt in sections so they can be moved around this is really cool. I would print out some sheets and plan the way I would want it and go get photo copies of the extra pages that is cheaper than printer ink. The system is not perfect but it works for me. Sorry the dates on the pictures are wrong they were taken on 19Sept11. Cost of this matt about $15.00 a lot of papper cutting and tapping.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike George; 09-20-2011 at 14:09.

I bit the bullet and got both maps actually found both in a game store and flyingdutch man (my wingman) bought enough the owner gave us 10% of everything.
    but I plane on doing a 4"x6" map

I got them both as well. I like them and I hope the new company makes some for WoGII.

Tom

Getting the playmats to add to my collection was high on the list for me! I found them both at a LGS and picked them up yesterday. I think they are a perfect background to create the right atmosphere and will be a great playing surface for WWI!

I've got both of them and although I could have done with some less obtrusive logo's I think they are very fine to play on. It would be nice If Ares made some more that are " geomorphic" ...I'm thinking about a coast-line and trenches here...

We can dream can't we?

Just recently acquired both gaming mats. I must say they do make the game easier to play and also provide spectacular looking dogfights.

It was a tough search but I was able to get both online last Friday from different vendors . One arrived in the mail today.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    It was a tough search but I was able to get both online last Friday from different vendors . One arrived in the mail today.

Actually both did so I had a quick whirl with a Fok DrI and a Camel using Nightbomber's solitaire find. Thanks again Andrzej.
    Last edited by Willi Von Klugermann; 10-03-2011 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewby View Post
    I agree

The photos show just how brightly coloured the mats are compared to the very well produced ariel photos and also how large and vulgar the logos look on the gaming surface.

Now you mention it I also agree with the modularity issue - with a bit of careful designing, the mats could have been produced to lay in threes and fours for large linear or rectangular game surfaces.

In fact these mats are the only WOW items so far produced which I feel are just OK and should have been much better. A bit of a missed opportunity all 'round!
    Thats what I call hitting the nail on the head,,,I coudn,t agree more.

I use my own custom map. it's one I made a while back from a photo-realistic view of the english country side...

I get most of my mats from Game on Terrain Mats. Luis does a great job and if you have a photo with hi resolution he can make it into a mat for you. He's on the forum and his call sign is IBERIAN SHADOW.

Here's some photos on some of his work.

Game Day Dec. 11th 2011 001.jpg
    A&Amaps Luis 3.jpg
    One you can see he put on board mats so you can put them together as a puzzle. He does great work.

Thomas

I noticed that Hotz Mats have a really nice WW1 trench mat designed with air combat games in mind.

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-wwi.html

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    I noticed that Hotz Mats have a really nice WW1 trench mat designed with air combat games in mind.

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-wwi.html
    Kind of ugly.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I originally thought about getting these but have never been able to find any for sale anywhere.
    These days I`m saving to get one of these, They look expensive but when you compare them with the old Nexus product you realise that you are actually getting a slightly bigger mat for round about the same sort of price!
    http://terrainmat.com/MicroMatWesternFrontCU.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    I originally thought about getting these but have never been able to find any for sale anywhere.
    These days I`m saving to get one of these, They look expensive but when you compare them with the old Nexus product you realise that you are actually getting a slightly bigger mat for round about the same sort of price!
    Mine should be on its way to me even as we speak. A Christmas present from my Good Lady, but as it was a custom order it has taken a bit longer to produce.
    Rob.

I have the Nexus ones. Although I was initally skeptical before purchasing them I now glad I did. The kids always want to use them and the cards certainly move better on them. Fortunately I was able to get them for a reasonable price.

Otherwise I would definitely contact Game on Terrain Mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Rob,

you can't be wrong buying these mats.
    As you know i bought their new battle Britain, and i don't regret.
    It came out with significant crease, but one day laying down flat and it will disappear.
    Problem is the price i agree but since you live in the UK, shipping costs are affordable.
    I have also the official mats, i like them a lot, but it is complete different experience, moving from "toys" to "simulation" i would say.
    I am sure i will buy their ww1 mat one day

for those interested my mat in action

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...969#post115969

I've closed this thread since the new mats are out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234