Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIFF.

Thumbs up BIFF.

Greg!

I am with you! First nice photo Steve! No use of the P word! Now off to the BAR!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Greg!

I am with you! First nice photo Steve! No use of the P word! Now off to the BAR!

Rich
    Excellent idea, thats why you got promoted. You asked about Aces High(the movie), you can watch it on YouTube. In the search box type in; Aces High the movie part 1. I also put this on another thread but I don't think you saw it.

Thumbs up BIFF.

GREG!

I have watched segments of it You Tube in the past. Did you look up Richthofen and Brown as well?

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up

Rob,

They look great except for one thing, are you sure you didn't get the props mixed up?

It looks to me like the SE5a prop and the Biff prop got swapped by accident.

I guess it doesn't matter. They look great anyway. Good job!

Why do you think that Erin? If it's because the Biff model has a 2-blader then that is OK - see here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...pictureid=3430

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...4&d=1280432637

Otherwise, interested to know your thinking on this.

Steve
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

GREG!

I have watched segments of it You Tube in the past. Did you look up Richthofen and Brown as well?

Rich
    I watched them last night. Very impressive. What's the story line?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Steve,

Still no comment from Rob. He is a cagy one.

I am wondering how many times he checked them both before realizing I am full of rubbish and his creations really are well done.

GREG!

Rich
    I have that one (Richthoffen and Brown) on DvD. Great dogfights. But the rest of the movie is not up to Blue Max standards. You might also want to try "You Can't Win 'em All" on YouTube, just part 8 or 9(I forget which), there is a sequence where some Se5a's shot up a Greek Army encampment. It's a soldier of fortune movie set in 1922, with Charles Bronson and Tony Curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I watched them last night. Very impressive. What's the story line?
    Rob.
    I'm assuming you are talking about Richthofen and Brown(since Aces High is available on DvD in England but not here). In a nut shell it follows the WWI careers of both Brown and Richthofen until they meet up on April 21, 1918. The movie starts with Richthofen joining Jasta 2, then segues into Brown joining Squadron 24. The movie moves back and forth between the two, until April 21, 1918.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Steve,

Still no comment from Rob. He is a cagy one.

I am wondering how many times he checked them both before realizing I am full of rubbish and his creations really are well done.
    Sorry for the late response. I have been trying to fit in a trip up to Buxton for the Gilbert and Sullivan concert which was yesterday, along with going to my opticians and the hospital today for eye checks. We are going away on holiday on Friday, so you can imagine the rush on here.
    In answer to your amusing attempt to put one over on an old teacher, I treated your futile, pathetic hoax with the deep and meaningful silence which your idiotic scribbleit so richly deserves. (Translation! I only just saw the posting.)
    Actually we are both right. First thank you to all my wingmen who sprang to my support, and now here is the proof that Steve was also right.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biff sm.jpg  

Now we got that settled, can anyone complete the set by finding me a Tripe with a four bladed prop?
    Rob..

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Now I am curious.
    Putting the kidding around aside, was there not a technology shift mid Biff production where the propellor technology developed to where it was half the weight for the same efficiency? As a result we have the two blade version on these aircraft along with the four. I have one with 4 blades which would be the early version. Does this sound familiar to anyone or are my brains truly addled?

As ear as I can make out, the aircraft fitted with the four bladed prop was part of the first production batch. With the introduction of the more powerful Rolls Royce Falcon 2 engine and later the Hispano 200 and 300 h.p. engines, the two bladed prop was adopted.
    Rob.

Yep, what the old boy said
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

So, it was the engine improvement, not the propellor that made the difference. Thanks guys.

I was under the impression that part of the reason for reducing the number of blades on the WWI props was synchronised guns - the more blades you have, the more precise the timing of the gun firing has to be to ensure that the shots pass between the blades. Or is this just one of the myths that has built up over time?
    It always sounded reasonable to me.
    In WWII the more powerful the engine, the more blades were added to the prop even though, the more blades there are the less efficient the prop, because each blade has to pass through more air disturbance from the preceding blade. This was, of course, partly due to not being able to enlarge the diameter of a prop, because of landing gear height, and also as the tips of the prop near the speed of sound, the performance of the prop falls off badly, so in some cases, the diameter was reduced, as the engine power was increased.

In WWII the Germans elected to widen the prop blades rather than increase the number of blades, but then, I believe, some of their aircraft used gun synchronisation.

John.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12