Ares Games

Thread: Mission 2 - Flash - Over the Trenches, The Final Months - Never volunteer...!

Default Mission 2 - Flash - Over the Trenches, The Final Months - Never volunteer...!

Mal Twiskie sideslipped the RE8 and touched down in the pasture next to a small patch of woods right on time, blipping the throttle as he taxied to the end and turned into wind. He glanced about nervously wondering how long he would have to wait, or, if his charge would make the rendezvous at all; then he spotted his cloak and dagger man as he stood up and broke cover from the tree line.
    “Piece of cake” thought Mal.
    His mysterious passenger clambered aboard, quickly dumped the ballast, donned a flying coat and slapped him on the shoulder to indicate he was ready to go. Mal gunned the engine and the ‘Harry Tate’ was quickly airborne again.
    Keeping low for the first few miles Mal gently eased the RE8 higher trading a little speed for altitude as he headed for the lines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFM2 2.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	84657

Mal knew he could expect trouble; his presence in the area must have been reported on his way in and a low flying solo RE8 could only mean one thing – a pick up. Keeping his head on the swivel it wasn’t long before Mal spotted a lone Albatros boring in on them from their two o’clock, he blipped the throttle and pointed in its direction to let his passenger know they had company. “I hope he can shoot” Mal mused.

Name:	TFM2 1.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	84658

Taking the bull by the horns Mal turned toward the enemy hoping the manoeuvre may alarm the other pilot intending to turn away and unmask the rear gun as he did so – he was somewhat flummoxed when the Albatros seemingly ignored them and performed an Immelmann across their nose !

Name:	TFM2 3.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	84659

Sadly he was out of range.

Name:	TFM2 4.JPG 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	84660

Mal pushed on through, heading for the lines – the Albatros circled right clearly looking to get on their tail – Mal was heartened to hear the Lewis gun crackle behind him as his passenger let rip. “He can use a gun then” he thought.

Name:	TFM2 5.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	84661

Mal knew he had gained some advantage but the RE8 was a sluggish kite at best and he knew he would have to box clever if he were to give the Albatros the slip

Name:	TFM2 7.JPG 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	84662

The Albatros easily reeled them in but Mal had so far managed to keep far enough ahead to avoid the spandaus

Name:	TFM2 8.JPG 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	84663

Mal had to keep heading for the lines - a couple of left right turn combinations threw off the Germans aim but he was now in range and as his rounds struck Mal heard the Lewis as it crackled again - there was a whoop of delight from his passenger as he scored hits on the Huns nose.

Name:	TFM2 10.JPG 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	84664

Name:	TFM2 11.JPG 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	84665

Mal glimpsed a second kite over his left shoulder making a run at them “Here we go” he muttered, “between a rock and a hard place”

Name:	TFM2 14.JPG 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	84666

He turned left into the new threat just as the Albatros broke off right trailing a wisp of smoke, as they did so a burst of fire rattled through their top plane and Mal felt a heavy blow on his side

Name:	TFM2 15.JPG 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	84667

The onrushing Pfalz then overshot them as they passed over their lines towards safety.

Name:	TFM2 17.JPG 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	84668

Mal gasping like a stranded fish fought for breath and consciousness but managed to bring his kite down at the home field in one piece before he briefly blacked out. As he was helped towards the aid post he saw his passenger on the field phone at dispersal – he looked familiar some how…

Name:	242vacg.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	84671

Bulldogs Butchers Tally:

Lt Malcolm Twiskie; RTB; WIA; 0 Kills; Passenger delivered - Mission Accomplished

Name:	TFM2 20.JPG 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	84669
    Threw double 1, +3 for RTB; -1 for WIA = 4, severely wounded, miss D6 scenarios. Rolled 1 !

Eagles Tally:
    Obltn Anton Holbach; RTB; 0 Kills (Forced to retire with engine damage)

Name:	TFM2 18.JPG 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	84670

Ltn Martin Ziegel; RTB; 0 Kills (Too late to the party !)

Name:	TFM2 19.JPG 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	84674

Part Deux to follow...
    Last edited by flash; 04-05-2013 at 02:28.

As I said on the scenario thread I started the RE8 within 1/2 a ruler of the enemy edge to give the oncoming Albatros more room to manoeuvre, even then I was off in five turns so you will need to use the possible arrival times of the enemy scouts as already adjusted by Neil in the scenario thread. Mal made it but didn't get away scot free so won't be taking the stick in part deux !

Default Part Deux

The arrival of Mal with his special passenger brought a flurry of activity to the Hotel Rouge field as aircraft were hurriedly prepared for an urgent mission against a secret Hun installation that had been responsible for the loss of many men and machines in the last few weeks.
    With Mal in the Aid Post it fell to Luke Wright –Rownde to take his place, this time in Mals beloved Bristol Fighter, with his regular crewman Eamonn Lowe; who was still miffed that he’d had to miss out on the first party.
    The Celtic Collective of Phil MacGlassop & Llewellyn Dowd accompanied them in the other Bristol (J) while a scratch crew of Hugh Jundys & Horace Cope manned a DH4, that the Top Office had scrounged especially for the occasion. They led the formation supposedly to run interference while the Bristols went for the main prize.
    Nearing the facility the DH4 immediately came under fire from well placed Archie but the shot was wide of the mark.

Name:	TFM2 21.JPG 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	84677

It obviously irked Hugh as he turned his DH4 and swept into the attack while the Collective and Luke pushed deeper into enemy territory

Name:	TFM2 22.JPG 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	84678

Hugh toggled his bomb release and scored a near miss on the irritating Archie position

Name:	TFM2 23.JPG 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	84679

The Collective leading the Bristols turned into a line attack behind the DH4

Name:	TFM2 24.JPG 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	84680

Hugh, suddenly finding himself lined up on the main target steadied his craft and prepared to let loose his remaining eggs

Name:	TFM2 25.JPG 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	84681

Toggling the release a second time he was gratified to see a direct hit on the target,
    The surviving Archie let rip again and again the shot went wild, but another battery had better luck and shrapnel crashed into his engine

Name:	TFM2 26.JPG 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	84682

Name:	TFM2 27.JPG 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	84683

Name:	TFM2 28.JPG 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	84684

The Bristols closed on the targets

Name:	TFM2 29.JPG 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	84685

Bombs gone, engine damaged, trailing a little smoke, Hugh turned the DH4 for home, a lazy line of tracers reached up from a roof in a group of buildings and spattered through their fuselage

Name:	TFM2 30.JPG 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	84686

Passing over the Archie position Llewellyn Dowd raked it mercilessly from the Collectives Bristol finally silencing the position

Name:	TFM2 31.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	84687

MacGlassop swore profusely when he mistimed his approach on the buildings and dropped all his eggs long but he scored a near miss and caused some damage – he could only hope that Luke would do better as he followed through

Name:	TFM2 32.JPG 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	84688

But Luke had dropped his first load short !

Name:	TFM2 33.JPG 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	84689

It was then they noticed that they had company !

Name:	TFM2 35.JPG 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	84690

Luke cut his speed and dropped all his remaining bombs on the buildings, scoring a direct hit and demolishing what The Collective had left behind.

Name:	TFM2 36.JPG 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	84691

MacGlassop had also cut his speed and, managing to keep out of the enemy’s arc of fire, scored a hit on the lead Albatros but jamming his gun in the process – more profuse swearing followed !

Name:	TFM2 37.JPG 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	84692

The second Archie position opened up but missed again, thankfully

Name:	TFM2 38.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	84693

MacGlassop turned away to unmask Dowds working Lewis gun and he too scored a hit on the Alabtros; Luke managed to put rounds into the accompanying Dr1 as he turned for home but both enemy aircraft raked his Bristol from end to end !

Name:	TFM2 39.JPG 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	84694

Scenting blood both enemy scouts turned after Lukes damaged Bristol and as they jostled for position Eamonn exacted some revenge by lacing the Dr1 with a withering burst that set it afire

Name:	TFM2 40.JPG 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	84695

Clearly put out the pilot promptly collided with the Albatros, tore off his aileron, rolled on his back and spiralled toward the ground

Name:	TFM2 41.JPG 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	84696

Archie chipped in again at this point but scored negligible damage

Name:	TFM2 43.JPG 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	84697

Eamonn flushed with his success opened up on the Albatros

Name:	TFM2 44.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	84698

Trading shots one last time as they passed over the lines to safety

Name:	TFM2 46.JPG 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	84699

Bulldogs Butchers Tally:
    MacGlassop & Dowd; RTB; 0 Kills

Name:	TFM2 49.JPG 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	84700

LWR & Lowe; RTB; 1 kill - Took out Target

Name:	TFM2 50.JPG 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	84701

Jundys & Cope; RTB; 0 kills - Took out Target

Name:	TFM2 51.JPG 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	84702

Eagles Tally:
    Ltn Bruno Stachel;RTB;0Kills

Name:	TFM2 48.JPG 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	84703

Ltn Friedrich Sternberg; Crashed ; 0 Kills

Name:	TFM2 52.JPG 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	84704
    Rolled 9 = All well when you land well ! (lucky bugger !)
    Last edited by flash; 04-05-2013 at 03:39.

Excellent AAR. It was close. Just hope the adjustments given don't swing it too much in favour of the enemy.

That was a thrilling AAR Dave - let's hope Flashheart doesn't take all the credit with the Brass

Thanks chaps - part deux was equally thrilling !

Wow. A great part deux. I hope the Kaiser's do as well on their missions! Off to the mess old boy, your lads deserve it.

Neil

In light of the mission that I flew this morning it makes very interesting reading Dave.
    I started one ruler in and advanced my two remaining German aircraft to move two.
    You will see the effect that this had when I write the two parts up tomorrow.
    Rob.

Well done, Dave.

Pictures & ground targets look great. Good story.

Am I right, that the firts part is only: "Get the needed altitude & escape"?

Yep. Otherwise its Part 2a or Part 2b. But of course if you both don't make it back alive, ie your caught and shot then that's where it ends. No need to do part 2a/b.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Well done, Dave.

Pictures & ground targets look great. Good story.

Am I right, that the firts part is only: "Get the needed altitude & escape"?

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    ......Am I right, that the first part is only: "Get the needed altitude & escape"?
    If I recall correctly here was an altitude option of flying the two-seater at levels 1-4 & the enemy scouts come in at level 4. As I'm not an avid altitude player I covered it up in the story by having Mal climbing as he approached the combat area - All he had to do then was run the gauntlet !
    As a point of interest, that I neglected to mention earlier, the last three turns I gave Mal a left & right turn and a straight, I then shuffled the cards each turn and played them blind - hence the turn into the Pfalz at the end of the game !

Thumbs up

I really enjoyed that Two Parter Dave. Stirling stuff in part 2.

Glad to see your RE 8 pilot learnt to fly it aggresivley like our AFC chaps did in 1918. That caught the old Hun by suprise!

Well, I have a couple of them & they are under-used but I thought it was the right kite for the job in part one. My thinking was if I rush at the scout he will have to turn to get at me & I could use the time to give him a run for his money which, happily, is how it worked out. I was happy to use the F2B & DH4 in part two though !

Interesting Dave.
    I went for the F2b option as a quick escape merchant, and the rapid climb too.
    My idea was to get out as fast and high to avoid the Archie, and to put as much width of table between myself and that third plane as I could, hence my use of the side slip to the left so much.
    Rob.

looks like part 2 is the one to watch.
    Paul

A real crackerjack set of AAR's! Lot's of action there! Great job.

Nice report... those F2b's and DH.4's are tough nuts, to be sure! Well flown!

Thankyou chaps - looking forward to seeing your stories unfold !

Great report Dave Malt Whisky proved to be a skillful flyer again as well as the others. Lucky Sterni made to the airfield.

Very enjoyable AARs.

I wasn't expecting the two Germans to collide in part 2.

Did you play the last three of Mal's maneuvers blind due to being wounded? At first, I didn't understand your post, but then I reread the rules and noticed how to handle a wounded pilot. If so, an interesting alteration.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    ....I wasn't expecting the two Germans to collide in part 2.
    Neither were they - it was gonna happen but as it tied in nicely with the fire I blamed it on that !

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Did you play the last three of Mal's maneuvers blind due to being wounded? At first, I didn't understand your post, but then I reread the rules and noticed how to handle a wounded pilot. If so, an interesting alteration.
    Nope, just something I do to make it interesting sometimes - adds a bit of spice to proceedings and avoids long deliberations. Mal was wounded on the last turn but crossed the lines - he would have then circled for 3 & one straight before heading for the barn but that was 'off' the table in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Neither were they - it was gonna happen but as it tied in nicely with the fire I blamed it on that !

Nope, just something I do to make it interesting sometimes - adds a bit of spice to proceedings and avoids long deliberations. Mal was wounded on the last turn but crossed the lines - he would have then circled for 3 & one straight before heading for the barn but that was 'off' the table in this instance.
    Great tie in with the storyline.

Thanks for the clarification.

Similar Missions

1. BRF Over the Trenches, The Final Months, Mission 2: Never volunteer...!
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 10:42
  2. BRF Over the Trenches , The Final Months . Mission 1 Where are we?
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 06:37
  3. AAR Over The Trenches: The Final Months. Mission #1 "Where Are We?"
    By MoonSylver in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 22:49
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 11:17
  5. Over The Trenches , The Final Months
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 167