Ares Games

Thread: DAMAGE TOKENS - WEAPONS EFFICIENCY

Default DAMAGE TOKENS - WEAPONS EFFICIENCY

Hello Guys,

I saw a lot of posts on this forum about Damage Tokens, weapons efficiency, ...

Thinking about weapon efficiency and probability to inflict damages to airplanes, one point came to my mind.

During a game, especially with numerous airplanes, a lot of damage tokens are used. Those tokens, once drawn, are left on A/C cards, even on A/C that were shot down.

By doing this, you change the probability an airplane can receive a certain amount of damages or even receive the famous "explosion" token if already used, reducing the risk for the remaining planes.

To maintain the same level of chance after each shot, I take note of damages and I put back tokens in their respective cups.

What do you think ? I don't want to break the game balance.

Many players use this method. I am fortunate to have eight sets of A-D damage chits, so I use multiple sets at the same time. This keeps the explosion threat a constant throughout larger engagements.

Thanks for your comment Carl.

I think about using 1D100 as well. But in the meantime, I will continue to record the damages and put the chits back into their cups.

Yes Olivier some of the guys out in Arizona put a little card to mark damage and special damage on the card and put the card or chip back. I think its in the File section. They laminate them and use eraser markers to keep track of damage.

Thomas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Haven't thought about this idea but it makes perfect sense. Putting the chits back into circulation does equal out the chances of explosions and other dramatic damage. I've played in a few games where, only using one damage deck, once someone draws the "card of big boom" as we call it, other people breath a sigh of relief. While it is a game, reality doesn't only use one damage deck.

Nice thought to recycling the cards.

So if you have several wow and the new wog sets do you recommend putting all damage cou ters together or keeping seperate? I reaalize it changes the odds on certain damages just curious how experienced players handle this.

Thanks for your comments.

I'll proceed like this now. I'll record the damages on the airplanes, putting chits back to their cups. It makes sense.

I started to work on few tables as well to locate the damages, based on the A/C position and altitude but it seems to be a little bit complicated. It reminds me when I played Role Playing games. One was especially complicated, most probably closer to reality than D&D but it took at least 5 minutes after rolling the To Hit dice to locate the wound and to know the severity of it.
    The idea was to divide the airplane in few main sections (Wings, fuselage, ...) and into sub-sections (Cockpit, engine, flight controls, ...) and to apply damages more precisely, based on the firer position, attitude, altitude, ...

A headache ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14_8 View Post
    So if you have several wow and the new wog sets do you recommend putting all damage cou ters together or keeping seperate? I reaalize it changes the odds on certain damages just curious how experienced players handle this.
    If you don't want to change the probabilities, keep just one set of each. Record damages and put chits back into cups. Otherwise, you're going to change the balance.
    That's my point of view. But as Carl said, he uses few sets of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14_8 View Post
    So if you have several wow and the new wog sets do you recommend putting all damage counters together or keeping seperate? I reaalize it changes the odds on certain damages just curious how experienced players handle this.
    Hi Rich,

I use more than one set of each type of damage chit, particularly for larger engagements. It removes the issue of having to record 'secret' damage, which would then require a referee to monitor the results. I know we are all 'proper gentlemen (and women)' but even the best of us occasionally makes an error.

At last count I have three sets of each damage type in large colour coded plastic containers (see image below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cancon 1 Mission 2_1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	76132

The firing player picks one up, gives it a good shake, removes the lid and offers it up to the receiving player for chit selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	76133

The presence of multiple explosion chits keeps players flying at their best throughout the battle. I have used the system at games days and conventions and find it works well.

Similar Missions

1. Dawn of War: Damage Cards or Tokens
    By Royals in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 14:59
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 11:49
  3. Using Damage tokens
    By afilter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 11:26
  4. exposing Damage tokens?