Ares Games

Thread: Shots of my new BOB planes!

Default Shots of my new BOB planes!

A few shots of some new 144 builds. For my upcoming BOB games. They are
    four Hurricanes , two Me-110`s and the first He-111. That makes 6 Hurricanes
    3 Me-110`s and the first of 5 He-111`s

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2622.jpg   100_2619.jpg   100_2620.jpg   100_2621.jpg   100_2611.jpg  

100_2613.jpg   100_2617.jpg   100_2618.jpg  

Smile Shots of my new BOB planes!

Thanks Kieth. I hope but not holding my breath that the bomber expansion is out before August. I have some nice He-111 cards from the files section just in case!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

VERY very nice

Default Question on paints used....

Hi,
    I am building the 1/144 WWII kits also.What paints did you use? What method did you use to get the splinter markings on the German warbirds?

Thanks

Thumbs up Shots of my new BOB planes!

Thanks Max! Jeffrey!

I start with Tamiya surface primer every where. I used Testors Model Masters Acrylic on the German planes. I have an old Monogram painting guide for the Germans which gives a good pattern guide. Start by painting the underside with RLM 65, spray well up the sides. Allow that to dry over night, an then spray RLM 71 on the upper surface. I hold the plane flat to avoid over spraying the belly. After allowing this to dry a couple days i mask off the plane using Tamyia masking tape. Next you spray the RLM 70, let that dry over night and remove the masking. It might be time to curse mildly while you discover if you have bleed through or not. I touch these up with a brush and give the plane a coat of Testors gloss out of a can let that dry and hit it again. Then you put your decals on give the plane two coats of Testors dull coat. For an all metal plane i finish with a gloss coat.
    I added a couple shots of the post pattern spray.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2587.jpg   100_2588.jpg  

Cracking work Rich.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob!

Thank you. I have still three 3/4 He-111`s to build and an JU-88. That will give me five HE-111`s , two JU-88`s , two Stukas and two Do-217`s.
    With three ME-110`s and several ME-109`s. Plenty for a good German attack force. The defenders have six Spitfires and Hurricanes each!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob!

Thank you. I have still three 3/4 He-111`s to build and an JU-88. That will give me five HE-111`s , two JU-88`s , two Stukas and two Do-217`s.
    With three ME-110`s and several ME-109`s. Plenty for a good German attack force. The defenders have six Spitfires and Hurricanes each!

Rich
    Super work! Just Awsome!

Makes me want to go work on a plane today! What models were those? I have 3 BoB He-111s by Cafe Rio. 1 was a pre-paint, and two were kits offered by Cafe Rio that you had to build & paint yourself.

Are those MiniCraft He-111s?

What about the Me-110s, MiniCraft?

BoB baby, it's on! Between the two of us, we've got the whole German Air Force covered!

One of the Cafe Rio kits I had to build & paint.

The other by Cafe Rio I had to build & paint

The Cafe Rio kit that they semi-assembled, and pre-painted.(I though the ones I did came out better!)

Build & paint yourself MiniCraft kits.

Pre-painted & semi-assembled Cafe Rio kits off E-Bay.

Build & paint yourself kits by Edwardo.

Pre-Painted, but build them yourself kits by Takara.

Build & paint yourself kits by what I beleive was an unauthorized copy of the MiniCraft kit by a Chinese company calling itself "MiniHobby".

Build & paint yourself MiniCraft kits.

Build & paint yourself Sweet kits.

Believe it or not, I hand painted the splinter camo on all of the German ones I had to paint myself. I sprayed on the main upper color, then hand painted the splinter camo on to that. I didn't use the RLM 70 & 71 (I think those were the two colors that the kits kept recommending) for the upper, as they didn't match up well with the colors from the pre-painted Cafe Rio kits. I'd have to go look to be exact, but I wound up with like, RLM 75 and an olive drab for the upper colors, which them matched very nearly dead on with the Cafe Rio colors. On the Me-110s & Ju-88s, I did those a while back and can't recall off the top of my head what colors I used.

But, like Rich, I like the Testor acrylic paints. I was told by the owner of the long time hobby store chain here in C-Bus, that some time ago, Testors bought the formula they use from PolyScale, which were the paints I used then. testors are now about half the price here local, and PolyScale is still available here as well. Bill says that they're pretty much the same formula, both are extremely easy to work with spraying, and they have superior brush painting characteristics IMHO too.

Years ago, when I was a teenager, I used to swear by Tamiya (I probably spelled that wrong) paints, and over the years, I've gone back from time to time to test them out. As of about 2 years ago, the last time I tried them, they still were still good to use with air brushing, but they were way inferior to brush paint with. What I didn't like about that was, sometimes you'd need to file down a seam, or do a little touch up painting on your model here and there. A brush is best for the little stuff, and with Tamiya paints, you could always tell where the brush painting had been done. Not so with PolyScale & the new Testors formula.

In fact, with the PolyScale & Testors paints, you can do like I have done, and combine air brushing and hand painting with a brush on the same model and not be able to tell. I keep plenty of PolyScale thinner around (I have about a 16 oz bottle that has lasted me for years, and they will when you only use drops at a time) for the brush painting.

On 1/72 scale planes, if I were going to mask to do camo (which I almost always do), I got on to using ParaFilm M a while back. Testors used to sell it, but I haven't seen it by them for years. I bought a 250 ft roll some years back from a construction supply company down in Louisiana that will probably last me the rest of my life. It works great if you can figure out how to use it. It took me about 6 months on my own (no internet back then) to figure it out, but after I did, I wouldn't use anything else. Below is a great link on parafilm M; how to use and the whole nine yards on it. (I guess I have a 400 year supply of it too! )

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/u...rafilmda_1.htm

After allowing this to dry a couple days i mask off the plane using Tamyia masking tape. Next you spray the RLM 70, let that dry over night and remove the masking. It might be time to curse mildly while you discover if you have bleed through or not.
    Rich
    Parafilm M keeps the "mild" cursing away. Or in my case, it kept the "cursing like a drunken sailor" attacks away, to which I am still prone from time to time to do when modeling, especially when I drop one of those little parts on the carpet! I usually get in "Dutch" with the Mrs.'s when that happens.

Last edited by kaufschtick; 06-03-2010 at 18:42.

Rob!
    Thank you! Between us we do have chunk of it. The He-111`s and Me-110`s are all Minicraft. I have the Cafe Rio Desert He-111.
    I bought my first Poly S paints at a hobby shop on Karl by the the Mall that was a decade or so ago. I wanted to painted Airfix plastic 1/72 figures no other paint would stick to it. I still have a couple of them around and the paint is still on them.
    I use the paint that works the best for the project i am working on. I use
    all the Testors paints oil and water based. I like the Tamiya primer i had an adhesion problem on these Me-110`s and that solved that problem. I am also using the Model Masters oils on the new batch of He-111`s.
    I air brush what i can and hand paint the rest. When i striped the tape off
    those Me-110`s i had bare plastic in places, those were hand touched up!! A few coats of gloss coat and a finish of dull coat help blend that in.

I added a link to a good source for plane markings.

Rich

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/315/2/0#50

I bought my first Poly S paints at a hobby shop on Karl by the the Mall that was a decade or so ago. ]
    Wow, what a small world it is sometimes. That Hobby shop on Karl Road by the Mall was calles Nworb's. It was owned by a man my friend new to be Mr. Brown. Nworb was his name spelled backwards, Brown. He has long since passed on. He was mainly into model railroad stuff, and when I was about 11 or 12 years old, I saved some of my paper route money to have an HO scale railroad engine my cousins had given me as broken, repaired there by Mr. Brown.

Mrs. Brown was a very nice lady, and I used to ride my bike up there sometimes to buy models and wargames.

The mall is completely gone now, if you can believe that. Completely torn down. It basically relocated down Morse Road to the Morse & 270 interchange, and they call that mall Easton now. Northland was torn down, and I think there is some kind of lone office building there now.

Nworb's closed long, long ago. Well over a decade, maybe even two by now.

The fellow who owned the three HobbyLands here in town, however, whose name is Bill, is still going strong. I had the chance to be out at the east Broad Hobbyland just yesterday, and there was Bill, doing his thing. We chatted for about 10-15 minutes. I've been saying Hello to Bill now for almost 40 years in his shops. I can remember as young as 5 or 6 years old, my Dad taking me to HobbyLand. I'm 44 now, and that makes it nearly 40 years. Bill is looking good these days, and one of his three HobbyLands closed, but he said to me the rent was too high there, his other two shops are going strong and doing well.

I about fell over when I read your post...took me back a bit there!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 06-05-2010 at 21:27.

Rob!

I do to remember that. They stocked Roco Mini tanks and i was gaming with them at the time.
    I worked at Lazarus department store at that mall. As i recall it was an open
    mall then and the store had an open air door to the mall. It would blow hot air out and melt snow as it came down.
    Back then there was a hobby shop on off High probably at Graceland today by the map.
    I have not been that area since the early 80`s or Columbus for that matter since 88. They ran I-64 through West Virginia and i shot up that when i get up there. They made US 35 4 lane from the border and Dayton. No more I-70 and the Pa turnpike!!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

This is unreal and scary. I remember nrowb's hobby shop and I shop at Hobby Land and visit with Bill all the time. I'm going over there today and see what he has in the WOW series.
    You guys have a blessed day.
    trumpetman52

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    This is unreal and scary. I remember nrowb's hobby shop and I shop at Hobby Land and visit with Bill all the time. I'm going over there today and see what he has in the WOW series.
    You guys have a blessed day.
    trumpetman52
    You're right! This is getting unreal and scary!

I'll tell you what though, Bill is one cool dude!

Out at the East Broad HobbyLand shop, where I believe he mainly is at these days, they have a decent little selection of 1/144 scale stuff, and always have had. I think one of the guys at the Graceland HobbyLand said that Bill lives out by the East Broad shop.

Hey, we're going to have to get together and game some time, seeing as were neighbors!

Rob!

I do to remember that. They stocked Roco Mini tanks and i was gaming with them at the time.
    I worked at Lazarus department store at that mall. As i recall it was an open
    mall then and the store had an open air door to the mall. It would blow hot air out and melt snow as it came down.
    Back then there was a hobby shop on off High probably at Graceland today by the map.
    I have not been that area since the early 80`s or Columbus for that matter since 88. They ran I-64 through West Virginia and i shot up that when i get up there. They made US 35 4 lane from the border and Dayton. No more I-70 and the Pa turnpike!!

Rich
    I'm going out to Dayton the 16th & 17th to do a couple days of gaming and beer drinking. My best friend lives on the south east side of Dayton, just off the Yankee Street Exit.

You sure do have some good looking models there!

Rob!
    There is a shop on or off Strop called Krystal Something. I was in there a couple years ago. Someone in the group mentioned a place in Beavercreek. I have not gamed up there in 20 years!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Need Do-17 for WoW gaming BoB
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 00:24