Ares Games

Thread: Need some plane advice

Default Need some plane advice

been away from the site for awhile due to Real life and work.

And also a slow down from the other guys I play against...so was thnking I might bite the bullet and buy some WWI big planes....[yes I know I am a staunch WoW only player but I need some thing to get the WoW juices flowing again and iwant some Gotha Bombers.]

I am thinking of getting some Gotha G IV 1916 from Skytrex and want some allied bombers as well but haven't a clue as to what I should get....

The only one that I saw is the Breguet BR 14 B.2. Bomber [french] seemed ok but the brits had nothing that mentioned bomber....

any help would be arrpeciated...

cheers
    GW

The skytrex Gotha is a nice kit. I have two, both unbuilt. I have seen a couple of them finished. They look good. I have never seen the skytrex Breguet 14. I do have a couple of the Reversco Breguet 14's(unbuilt) they look like a nice kit. I am not postive but you might have to make your own inter wing struts, I use .025 brass rod, easy to work with. On the plus side you can buy a set of full plane decals so no painting only primering in white(I use a spray can of Krlyon flat white which you can get at Walmart). There are some pictures on this site of both the Gotha & Breguet built. Reversco web site is www.tin-soldier.com. Reversco also has a nice SPAD XI(a two seat bomber, photo recon plane). This is a nice kit as well, again mine is unbuilt. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    The skytrex Gotha is a nice kit. I have two, both unbuilt. I have seen a couple of them finished. They look good. I have never seen the skytrex Breguet 14. I do have a couple of the Reversco Breguet 14's(unbuilt) they look like a nice kit. I am not postive but you might have to make your own inter wing struts, I use .025 brass rod, easy to work with. On the plus side you can buy a set of full plane decals so no painting only primering in white(I use a spray can of Krlyon flat white which you can get at Walmart). There are some pictures on this site of both the Gotha & Breguet built. Reversco web site is www.tin-soldier.com. Reversco also has a nice SPAD XI(a two seat bomber, photo recon plane). This is a nice kit as well, again mine is unbuilt. Hope this helps.
    which is better the Skytrex [eg Red Eagle] or the Reversco?

the Reversco uses card stock for tail and wings would this last?

cheers
    GW

If you are looking for quality lead miniature planes I would encourage you to go with Skytrex.

I have been buying and assembling them for well over 15 years and I feel they are leaps and bounds above Reviresco. The Rev planes are not the best in quality. The detail is not very good and the wings tend to be thin and warped or misshapen or card stock. The struts are almost never usable so make sure u can get some Plastruct. I use .040"/1.0mm Styr. Square Rod.

Their Decals are good and I have bought planes from them in the past just to get them although now I think you can get most of the decals by themselves.

I have built over sixty Skytrex planes without much trouble compared to about 15 Rev planes and 3 or 4 Rev planes have become spare parts

Skytrex has some nice D.H. 4 and Bristol F.2b if you are looking for bombers but nothing big like the Gotha or A.E.G.

I have three of each built and they look very angry in formation on the table.
    I'm looking forward to the Flight of Giants minis to get some Entente BIG planes.

Chris

which is a better bomber Gotha or AEG?

Cheers
    GreyWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Hey, the Wolf is back!
    was I missed?

Lol

GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    which is better the Skytrex [eg Red Eagle] or the Reversco?

the Reversco uses card stock for tail and wings would this last?

cheers
    GW
    Good question! I am only going to speak of the kits I have. Skytrex; Bristol Fighter good kit, you will have to elongate the holes in the bottom wing so that the struts on the bottom of the fuselage fit and use brass rod for the exhaust pipes. Rumpler good kit. Nieuport 28 not bad, the cowling has some problems, I was able to hide the problem area with the propeller.Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Triplane, Albatros D-II, all not worth building, a waste of money-in my humble opnion. Gotha G-V good kit.
    Reversco; Albatros D-II, Phaflz D-III, Phaflz D-XII, Junkers D-I, all good kits. The Junkers has a problem with the wing fitting the fuselage. I sanded, I filed, could not make it work. So I put the decal on top of the wing( this is a monoplane) glued the wing to the fuselage, let dry. Then filled in the gap with white glue, this took about four applications. The whole plane is covered in decals to simulate the coragated metal covering. Turned out fine. Se5a, Nieuport 11, both good kits, the Se5a needs some putty and sanding not too hard. Sopwith Triplane I can't recomend this kit way too much effort, I replaced the cowling(major sanding job) and landing gear with WoW Camel parts and made my own struts out of flat brass. Trying to get the wings straight is a major project in itself. Hanriot HD-1, SPAD XI, Breguet 14, Macchi M-5, all good kits. Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter waste of money.
    The Friedrichshafen G-III(Reversco) is the only kit I know of with card stock wings. I have a copy I don't think I will ever be able to build it. If I was going to try I would cut sheets of styrene(thin plastic sheets you can get at model railroad hobby stores) and cover that with the wing card stock. Hope this helps. I do have some other kits so if you have questions about a specific plane ask away. Remember this is only my OPINION, other people may not agree or had different experiences.

all opions are GOOD.... you've had first hand experience of these planes I haven't

The only plane I am really after is the German Gotha, maybe a couple of Bristols but just not sure what allied bombers to use....

but please keep the comments going its great to hear from you all regarding this.

Cheers
    GW

Similar Missions

1. The wifes plane!
    By SoldierSteve in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 01:59
  2. Your favorite Plane
    By franc3555 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 19:12
  3. Your favorite plane