Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight of Giants

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Does anyone have a date for when this is available in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Rotherham View Post
    I add my voice to Von Rotherham's cry when are we going to see them in the UK.

Burt
    Last edited by Burt; 07-06-2010 at 09:38. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Air Battle Mgr View Post
    Was you Zeppelin card pre-cut too short? My set was and I am wondering if this is a just a fluke occurrence ?

You can see the wing is cut a tad short on one side. I am hoping someone can confirm this is not standard before i ship it back to FFG.

thanks Timmy
    Looks like the die for cutting the cards was misregistered. Mine came out the way they were supposed to. FFG/Nexus will probably be happy to furnish you with correct cards if you ask nicely (and especially if you return the damaged ones to them).

Default Miscut

ROLLOUT

Thanks for the verification. I will be contacting FFG.

Timmy

Default Balancing simulation and game

Quote Originally Posted by Rick57 View Post
    Hmmm.

My "The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide, Aircraft of World War I, 1914-1918" says:

Service Ceiling

Gotha G.IV............................6,500m (21,325ft)
    Staaken R.IV.........................3,700m (12,139ft)
    Zeppelin Staaken R.VI.............3,800m (12,467ft)
    Gotha G.V.............................6,500m (21,325ft)

Handley Page O/100................2,590m (8,500ft)
    Handley Page O/400................2,590m (8,500ft)

Caudron R.11.........................5,950m (19,521ft)

Caproni Ca.3..........................4,500m (14,764ft)
    Caproni Ca. 4.........................3,000m (9,842ft)

De Havilland DH. 10.................5,029m (16,500ft)

Sikorsky Ilya Muromets.............3,200m (10,500ft)
    I believe Andrea has pointed on the site here before that he had to balance making this a playable game and a true simulaiton. I think judging by the popularity of this game he has got the mix right. Also, the altitude bands I believe are more of a ration than an exact number of feet or meters.

Timmy

Smile I love WoW!

Timmy,

There are clubs that use a more specific altitude set of rules than that offered in WoW. It demands new hardware that happens to be in its infancy "production wise". (I've attached an image to illustrate what they look like. More finalised version go up to 20,000 ft.)

I guess something with dice or dials can also be used.

As for Andrea's mix, you're absolutely right.

The one thing I love about WoW is that you can do it your own way and be just as right.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1524resize.jpg  

Note on the image above.

The scenario was about ground attack. Trenches and tanks were targets. The stands could represent 20,000 feet or 2,000 feet. We used 2,000 so as to be consistent with ground attacks.

NeilCFord

My guess is next week or the week after. As English speaking markets are serviced by FFG, product for the UK has to come from the US I believe. It very much depends on when Esdevium's next container is due to ship. FotG wasn't on this weeks new releases, so don't expect to see it this week.

I'll see if I can get any more news on when it's likely to arrive.

- Neil.

Default FFG great customer service

By the way, with my miscut FOG Zeppelin cards Fantasy Flight Games customer service immediately put me in touch with the parts department to send me replacements.

GREAT MINNESOTA COMPANY!

Timmy

Interesting post Rick. Those flight stands remind me of the ones we used in M&Ms. I wonder how unwieldy they could get at this scale though.

Cheers,
    KW

Heads up, English people! Leisure Games in London say they are expecting Flight of the Giants in 21st July. I'm assuming they are talking about 2010
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Heads up, English people! Leisure Games in London say they are expecting Flight of the Giants in 21st July. I'm assuming they are talking about 2010
    Hooray! Just in time for my birthday, but I'm off to Africa for two months on the 16th of July... Just my luck... At least I know they should be available when I return, unless they've sold out...

NeilCFord

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Seems you beat me to one of my sources Steve If the guys from LG say the 21st, then I cam be fairly certain that they've had that confirmed by Esdevium.

Will put an order in with my LGS.

- Neil.

NeilCFord

Hooray! Just in time for my birthday, but I'm off to Africa for two months on the 16th of July... Just my luck... At least I know they should be available when I return, unless they've sold out...
    Alex

Put an order in with Leisure Games and either ask them to hold it until you return or, if there is someone who can accept the package for you, get it sent as soon as it's out. Then it will be waiting for you upon your return

- Neil.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for that Neil, I think I will!

NeilCFord

I've known the guys at Leisure Games for 25 years, so I'm happy to recommend them as a reliable mail order supplier.

- Neil.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Neil, it's always good to get recomendations. I've had a look at their site but can't find the FOTG sets. I'll give it a couple of days to list them then send them an email.

Alex

NeilCFord

They usually don't list stuff on the site until it's either in or definitely confirmed to arrive. I'd give them a call or an email explaining what you're after, they will be able to take care of it for you.

- Neil.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Ok, thanks again Neil, I'll take your 25 years of experience on board. I'll drop them a line later on. Cheers again. It should be a nice pressy waiting for when I get home!

Alex

Default Giants are in

Just got a call today from my local hobby shop and FotG came in today. Won't be able to pick it up until probably this weekend. I hope my copy doesn't have the same issues as mentioned earlier e.g. clipped wings, off-center printing, etc. Anyone actually play this yet? Any other problems observed? I've waited about a year for this baby and can't wait to try it out. Between my new balloons, WW2 series 2 minis (they came in last week), etc. this stuff is starting to add up!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll give Esdevium a call tomorrow and see if they can confirm 21st July for the UK - they still weren't sure when I spoke to 'em last week, but hopefully it's a firm date now. If so I shall see about reserving a few sets - I normally only bother with the miniatures, but frankly this one's exciting....

Dom.

Got my copy last night. Yay!

But there's like a 20 page rulebook. I don't have time to read that sort of thing at home...

Anyone know if the (English) rules are posted anywhere? Fantasy Flight usually posts all of that stuff, but FoG isn't up yet...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Just spoken to Esdevium, and they've still no firm date for the UK - "hopefully some time this month" was as precise as they had. So fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Just spoken to Esdevium, and they've still no firm date for the UK - "hopefully some time this month" was as precise as they had. So fingers crossed....
    Thanks for the info Dom. Guess we'll just have to be patient. Still we have waited this long so a bit longer will not hurt, although it isn't made any easier with other people drooling over their purchases.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep - I keep finding myself drawn to the Skytrex website, though....

FYI: I just put up a picture showing comparative maneuver deck speeds on "The Geek":

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but thought those of you still waiting to get your hands on this might want to see it.

BTW, the bombers look faster than they are; you have to track the trailing edge to see the actual speeds.

Got my copy on Friday. Been reading the rule book, and I like it! My set had no issues with the printing or cutting of the cards.

Now.... for the Miniatures to be released!
    Last edited by usmc1855; 07-13-2010 at 06:00.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Got my copy on Friday. Been reading the rule book, and I like it! My set had no issues with the printing or cutting of the cards.

No for the Miniatures to be released!
    Can't wait for this one, likely another 2-3 weeks until it gets to Australian shores.

If the Hit and Run and Crossfire boosters arrived on the same shipment it would be Christmas in July!!

Cheers,

Carl.

Many thanks to the folks who posted photos of the game and cards so far.
    As I was looking over these a question popped up, and maybe it's handled in the rulebook: what's the criterion for giving a plane the "giant" treatment (the bigger card, management sheet, etc.)?
    I'm thinking of multi-engined planes that are below the 20m wingspan that seems to be the cut-off for the Giants set -the AEG G.IV, the French Caudron fighter and bombers- and some single-engine seaplanes that are above the 20m limit. What would determine if they get the normal sized card or the smaller of the two Giant cards?
    best regards
    Aris K.

The special rules, management sheets and such are especially useful when you have 3 or more crewmen, that often (not always) mean more that 2 firing arcs. They can also be useful when the same rewman can have several duties and positions (switch from a machinegun to the other, switch from a weapon to an engine to be repaired and such).
    The choice between a bigger card and a regular one should be just based on wingspan. For now, up to 15 meters is a regular card and 20+ meters - as you correctly noticed - is a double one. There has been no need to mark a more precise bonduary - we will when it will be useful for new releases, I think that the switch wiull be made to have as many 2-seaters as possible on the single cards and as many as 3+ crewmen planes on the larger one. But just choosing a limit wingspan and going on that basis.

Andrea, thank you for the very complete answer.
    I expect I'll understand the system even better when I get my hands on Flight of Giants and play a few games.
    Aris K.

I just picked up my copy of FotG from my LGS. I must say, pretty cool! The artwork is gorgeous and the rules seem straightforward and clear. The box is nice and sturdy, like all the other expansions -- is this a European thing; US game boxes don't seem as sturdily built.

Nice deck holder in the box for the planes and maneuver cards, which won't fit in anything I have, but it is a nice touch. For some reason I thought the aircraft cards would be thicker, like the balloon cards from BD, but they are thin in keeping with the rest of the cards; they do seem to be finished with a matte finish instead of with a glossy finish. No problems with printing or the cutting of the cards. Now I REALLY can't wait to see the miniatures!!

So, I use card sleeves (and like them, though splurge for the premium style) for all my cards. Anyone have any ideas what size will fit these?

Cheers,
    KW

I picked up mine today, and I like everything about it, except for how thin the cards for the aircraft are. I hoped/expected they would be thick like the balloons, but oh well. They will do, as they will only be used until the minis arrive, someday...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

At least you were able to buy one. My shop sent me an e-mail today that they still don't have it....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Still not in the UK either - I'm avidly watching for Esdevium emails....

Still not in the UK either - I'm avidly watching for Esdevium emails....
    Presumably you won't be flogging these if/when they finally reach these sceptred isles?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I will be - generally I just carry the toys, but frankly I think this one'll be of interest even to us miniaturists, so it's worth making an exception for.... ;-)

I will be - generally I just carry the toys, but frankly I think this one'll be of interest even to us miniaturists, so it's worth making an exception for.... ;-)
    Excellent! (in my best Montgomery Burns voice). Can you put one aside for me please?

(And in answer to your question on the slip of paper in my last order you sent me - maybe, maybe not.......)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Will do, and it seemed a safe guess.... ;-)

Thumbs up

I just bought the kit and I like it very much. Can't wait to have a few bomber sorties under my belt.

Volant Gun.

Default New WoW in stock in Brisbane

Just picked up Flight of the Giants and all four new booster packs from my FLGS a Fastbreak Sports in Brisbane. It's terrific to get hold of new WoW, looking forward to WW1 Series 4!

Cheers,

Carl.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

The pdf rules are online!

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

If anyone needs dimentions they are listed on thread http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1786

Thanks Erin, I got them.

Cheers,
    James

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Woohoo - Flight Of The Giants has finally reached the UK distributors - order just placed, so I'm hoping I'll have it in stock tomorrow (he says, crossing fingers....)

Dom :-)

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Glad to hear Dom.

It will be nice to see some more battle reports using the new set....hint hint!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

In stock now - hurrah! I have of course purloined a copy for my own use, and am pretty pleased with it. At first glance the double-sided aircraft cards were a minor disappointment, but they've picked wisely, so frankly there's no remotely plausible scenario that would want both sides of a card (eg. the Zeppelin Staaken's on the back of the Caproni Ca.4 - hard to imagine them ever being used on the same table....) There are also 2-3 cards for each type, which is good. The scenarios in the rulebook look well thought out, and the presence of a B damage deck in there is very welcome indeed. I also like the "mini" orders boards for placing your maneuver cards and damage cards - much more practical than the box-sized ones in previous sets. Definite thumbs-up here....

Woohoo - Flight Of The Giants has finally reached the UK distributors - order just placed, so I'm hoping I'll have it in stock tomorrow (he says, crossing fingers....)

Dom :-)
    At last!

S'pose you'll want some money off me then

My spy informs me that Leisure games in London has FoTG and the new card packs in.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 08-13-2010 at 07:08.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Well I guess it'd be rude of me to say no....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Unhappy

Did I memtion that my shop told me to wait till September?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 4 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 308
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 05:00
  2. WGF: Hit & Run booster
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 09:50
  3. WGF: Crossfire booster