Ares Games

Thread: STRIPES ON COWLING fashion or fact? (also on Nieuport 17)

Default STRIPES ON COWLING fashion or fact? (also on Nieuport 17)

Dear All, there is a flying reconstructed Nieuport 17 aircraft with red horizontal stripes on its cowling (with a lafayette Indian chief squadron marking). I cannot find any other reference sources which show such stripes on any Nieuports. Such cowling stripes seem to be popular with modern WW1 recontruction aircraft and computer graphic aeroplane models (skins). So, - accepting that marine units liked their stripes, what about other WW1 units? Stripes: Fashion or fact? The debate is open...(but in particular, can I brighten up my silver-clad Nieuport in this manner without going into the realms of fantasy?) Yours Mr.Herr. Der Blauer Baron. (hick).

Stripey enough, Kevin?

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I think stripes have a very slimming effect on the cowling, overall.

I like it! We need more Nieuports!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Ahem...
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm waiting for the stripey Camel Decals from The Herr Oberst!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    How about: We need more official WGI Nieuport minis!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Agreed; I need more targets
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wink

Many thanks Guntruck!! I appreciate you taking the trouble to load these pics! I ordered a second WoW Lufbery/Thenault mini on the back of this...I had hesitated to buy becasue I wanted an alternative French paint job in order to be able to distinguish between the two. Those stripes look very "hand held" so I have some historical excuses when painting them by hand myself...or did someone draw them in in the original photos? An original hand painted photo in felt-tip pen???. I was not going to bother with the Nieuports, but once you own one....it seems to pine for some wing cover..they grow on you!! I had then picked up the Nungesser becasue it had been sitting there looking dull ever since I first time went into the shop 6 months ago and looked as if it would be left alone with just bombers to keep it company. What a beauty on the quiet! So now I will have two silver birds and the mysterious Nungesser which will try to come to their rescues. 36 points to be shot out of the sky. , Blauer Baron
    Stripey enough, Kevin?

Now you mention it Kevin, they do look hand painted. As you say, once you have a primary source like that nobody can ridicule your painting, especially if you paint the faults to exactly match the originals.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Agreed; I need more targets
    Karl
    I'm with Karl... target rich environment is always good! Look... there goes another Nieuport spiraling in... LOL j/k of course....
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams