Ares Games

Thread: How to make a hand painted gaming mat

Default How to make a hand painted gaming mat

I decided to make a WoW mat myself some months ago. It went well, except that I did not take any photos during the work. In order to make a How to I needed to make a new map, so I decided to use the measures for one of the Knights of the air campaign maps (used for Mission 4a for example). It is made on two green carpets, each 1 x 1.3 meters, put together, making it about 4' wide, the attackers side about 16" deep, no mans land about 24" deep and the defenders side about 32" deep. The green carpet is originally intended for balconys.

So this is how I went about:

Attachment 22684

I found a doable aerial photo, made a printout and marked where the no mans land should be.

Attachment 22676

Use a black marker to draw fields, roads and water way, as on the printout. It does not have to be perfect to the millimeter, use your artistic side.

Attachment 22694

Attachment 22691

Attachment 22685

Use a small amount of acrylic paint on a sponge to color fields and other features on the map. Be gentle and careful and rather use too little than too much paint, you can always put on more later on. You will get a better and more clean result if you are careful to get paint all the way out to the marker lines on the fields.

Attachment 22692

Attachment 22677

I used spray paint to make a base for no mans land. First black and then brown. Try to get a smooth transission between no mans land and the surrounding area.

Attachment 22683

Attachment 22686

Use the sponge again with brown paint on the no mans land to get a more rough feel to it. Try not to make it too uniform, use different browns to make it more uneven.

Attachment 22674

The pens I used for trenches. Black as base, white to create highlights.

Attachment 22682

Add trenches using the black marker and then use the sponge and lighter brown paint to highlight the immediate area surrounding the trenches.

Attachment 22689

Fill in the trenches once again with the marker to make them stand out again.

Attachment 22709

Highlight trenches using the white pen. Keep track on where from the sun shines, both to get all the trenches the same way, and for the craters you will add soon.

Attachment 22710

Use card stock to make templates for craters. Cut out one circle for each crater size you want. I only made two templates this time, one 42 mm and one 27 mm in diameter. Keep the cut out parts, you will need them when painting.

Attachment 22708

Attachment 22706

Attachment 22704

First put the paper stock on the map where you want a crater and spray at one of the edges using black spray paint. Be careful and do not use too much paint. Then use the cut out part over the crater circle and carefully put some spray paint on the opposite end with black paint.

Attachment 22702

Attachment 22711

Attachment 22707

Attachment 22705

Do the same using white paint as with the black, but at the opposite sides.

Actually I found out that It would have been easier to begin with the white paint and than do the black. But do as you please.

Attachment 22701

The last thing I did was adding a thin layer of brown spray paint on the white highlights of craters and trenches to make them blend in more.

Attachment 22700

Attachment 22699

The finished result! It turned out nice, even if I kept it simpler than my previous mat.

If you make one yourself, don't forget to post the result on the forum!

/Jörgen
    Last edited by Wombat; 09-18-2011 at 13:02.

Thumbs up

Jörgen!

I loved you original post on your playing mat, the how too is great! Thank you again for sharing your great techniques on mat painting!

Rich

That's amazing! Those craters really pop out!

Thanks for the insight into your teqnique of producing the mat Jorgen. With the dearth of official mats, and the astronomic price of alternatives, this will fill a much needed gap in the hobby.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very Cool. Looks awesome. I want to make my own Large map. Where did you get the green mat/rug to start with

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

Great work, I might have a go at making one of these

Very good; might have to add this to the lengthening list of WOW/WoG stuff to do.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Beautiful map and a smashing tutorial...I think you just made the purchase of balcony carpets take astronomical heights

Thumbs up

Fantastic work Wombat & a great tutorial!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Magnificent work! I want to make one too. Jorgen, can you tell us the maker's name for the carpet?

Tede

Thank you mate, fantastic tutorial.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Thank you mate, fantastic tutorial.

Dave
    Well done looks great

Thank you for your kind comments, guys!

Magnificent work! I want to make one too. Jorgen, can you tell us the maker's name for the carpet?

Tede
    Sorry, I don't know the make of this specific carpet, but it is sold as balcony mat or balcony grass in sweden. It cost 79 SEK (about $12.40 or £7.68) per square meter at Mattlandet. The carpet rolls to choose from were 2 meters or 1.33 meters wide. Probably sold as outdoor carpet in other countries.

Attachment 23249

This is how it looks like close up.

This "How to" is now also available in the "How to" section.

/Jörgen

I really wish you posted this before I bought both game mats! Great looking mat you made yourself. The skills you used are something I would never think of, but you really made it look like a simple process. Excellent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    you really made it look like a simple process.
    It really is quite simple, that´s the thing! The most difficult thing was making room for the 2 x 1.3 meter map in my livingroom while painting it.

/Jörgen