Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to buy first as a new player

The Duel Packs (or how they will be called) will soon be the single product steel_ratt is asking for. Thanks!

Andrea, does that mean they will come with complete rules, counters and a damage deck? Or will they be alone the same lines as what you get in the bomber packs?

They will have rules (probably basic, standard and a few optional ones), some scenarios (not only for dogfights but some recon/ground attack/maybe bombing ones too so you'll be better able to taste the system even with just two planes), damage cards, rulers, counters. Enough for several different game sessions.

Sounds good Andrea. About 90% of new player I have introduced to the game want to get 1 x Allied plane and 1 x German plane. The Dual packs are going to be excellent for this, as well as the extra stuff you are putting in the packs

Then with 1 pack each for two players, you can play with 4 machines and get an even better gaming experience.

This new marketing strategy seem to be getting better and better the more we hear. I'm sure that it will attract the butterfly gamers, and once they are netted....................we have them.
    Rob.

One Wings to rule them all, One Wings to find them,
    One Wings to bring them all and in the blue sky bind them!

I'm glad to hear that that niche will be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    One Wings to rule them all, One Wings to find them,
    One Wings to bring them all and in the blue sky bind them!
    Watch out guys !

It appears that Angiolillo is a reincarniation of the Dark Lord and the Wings of Glory miniatures are enchanted.

The purchase of one WOG miniature will cause an insatable desire to buy more of them.

It is too late for me but save your grocery money if you can.

As Gandalf said on the bridge in the Mines of Moria, "Fly, you fools!"

My Precious !

Don't worry chaps.
    We have a very effective Archie battery on hand for this sort of situation.

Name:  Effective Archie fire..jpg
Views: 252
Size:  10.8 KB

Rob.

This is great news IMO. I have no doubt there are a lot of folks that just want to pick up a couple planes & start playing & this is a great answer.

Well seeing as I just started this thread does give me something to compare things to.

Darasu

I'm still very much a beginner, but I do have a few WoW items and am wondering what to get next:

- WoW Famous Aces
    - WoW Immelman Booster Deck
    - WoW SPAD XIII - Rickenbacker
    - WoW LFG Roland C.II - Von Richthofen
    - WoW Breguet BR. 14 B2 - Browning/Duke
    - WoW UFAG C.1

So, should I just continue down the WoW path and get the suggested WoW products mentioned in this thread, or should I switch to WoG to get damage decks, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi Dallas,
    You will find getting the original Nexus WoW products harder to find as time goes on, so if you spot any I would bag them when you can, but for the aircraft buy WoG. They will gradually re issue the old out of production aircraft again anyway. It is just the card decks packs on their own that will be hard to find. If you buy the planes they will have decks with them anyway.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

G'day Dallas & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in N.S.W. down in Australia!

Dont forget to "Report for Duty" so everyone can welcome you to this great Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Darasu View Post
    I'm still very much a beginner, but I do have a few WoW items and am wondering what to get next:

- WoW Famous Aces
    - WoW Immelman Booster Deck
    - WoW SPAD XIII - Rickenbacker
    - WoW LFG Roland C.II - Von Richthofen
    - WoW Breguet BR. 14 B2 - Browning/Duke
    - WoW UFAG C.1

So, should I just continue down the WoW path and get the suggested WoW products mentioned in this thread, or should I switch to WoG to get damage decks, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Dalls, not sure if it will help you much, but it did me in figuring out what I missed out on and that is this nice little thread by Daniel.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ased-minis-WWI

The Duel Packs, if you can find them, are a great entry into the game in its current iteration. They include two comparable miniatures, a basic version of the rules, range sticks, and some tokens.

• Fokker Triplane (MvR) v. Sopwith Camel (Brown)
    • Albatros D.Va (Baumer) v. SPAD XIII (Luke)

The Rules and Accessories Pack (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...ries-pack.html) contains the full set of rules, tokens, etc., but no miniatures. If you're planning on making a serious run at this game, I would suggest this as an option for you at some point.

In terms of miniatures, some Series 1 reprints (SPAD XIII, D.Va, Camel, Dr.I) can still be had, and they're all relatively well-balanced with one another. Series 5 covers early war kites that are no match for Series 1, but they're comparable to each other. Series 6 is a mid-war lot and contains some solid kites, especially the Hanriot HD.1 and the Aviatik D.I, so they're a possibility as well. The most recent series is a mix of mid-late war scouts (SPAD VII and Albatros D.II) and two-seaters (Bristol F2.B and Halberstadt CL.II). The Bristol and Halberstadt are very nice models, and boss planes.

What to get? As Rob mentioned, the WoW stuff is getting harder to find at reasonable prices. My suggestion would be to take the plunge and embrace WoG. But, I'm far from unbiased. I love this game.

Other than a copy of the rules, get what you like... but it's a good idea to pair aircraft from the same era of the war. That way, regardless of what you prefer, you can always get them on the table against each other!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. New Player Question
    By Davot in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 04:30
  2. Relatively new player question
    By Davot in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 03:23