Ares Games

Thread: Any pipers out there?

Default Any pipers out there?

One of my other past times is enjoyiong a good pipe. I have enjoyed Cigars for years, but during my my recent military deployment I started using a pipe which I really enjoy.

So how does this relate to toy air planes? Well one of my favorite blends is Squardron Leader:

...and a some of my favorite pipes:

So any other closset pipers out there?

Lol! I thought you meant bagpipes!

Neat case and beautiful pipes.

TheLastLandStander

Pipes are great! You can get a great quality smoke for relatively cheap.

pipers seem to be more older gentleman's pursuit.

Us youngsters seem content with either taylors or rolls.

I know I prefer rolled. less chemicals. my wife's step dad enjoys his pipe. nice thing is I get all of his empty tobacco tins to use as gaming storage.

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    pipers seem to be more older gentleman's pursuit.
    Who do you call an older gentleman?!

I also enjoy to smoke a pipe from time to time.

The Nording and the pipe in the lower right llok really nice. That is the kind of pipes prefer...

My favorite tobacco is Danske Club Black Luxury. Maybe not the best tobacco in the world but the one my father used to smoke and therefore I associate some good memories with its odour:

What kind of tobacco is SQUADRON LEADER tobacco?

Never mind. I googled it myself. It contains latakia. Just not my kind of tobacco...

Yes Squadron Leader is a true english blend and an aquired taste that grows on you.

As for it being an older gentlemen's hobby not as much so any more....I am still not 40...maybe old to some. There are many much younger than I who have taken up the hobby....I think it has caught on in some college age crowds as an alternative to other smoking.

As an occassional cigar smoker pipes are definately much less expensive once you aquire the pipes. $9-12 of good pipe tobacco will easily give you as many smokes as a $100-150 box of cigars.

The most I have paid for a single pipe is $60 (the nording pictured) otherwise you can get some great deals on estate pipe online.

The large pipe in the lower right was my first pipe. It was a gift from a friend when I deplyed and was handmade by him and his wife who make pipes as a hobby....it will never leave my collection.

My step dad used to smoke a pipe. I think is blend was Captain Black... but that was years and years ago.

You should have your friends make you a biplane pipe... you could place the tobacco in the cockpit and the mouth piece could come out the tail!

TheLastLandStander

I'm 26 and have been an occasional pipe smoker for about 5 years now and I did pick it up while in college. I usually smoke a special blend from my local tobacconist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastLandStander View Post
    I usually smoke a "special blend" from my "local tobacconist".
    I think the "I did pick it up while in college" gave it away..

That box looks really cool though, but what plane is that..
    Some early version of the spad? but it seems to be missing some struts..

My friend did buy two pipes though that he used during our sessions of Arkham Horror, it really did improve the 1920's feel.

I'm a pipe man myself. I have approx 16 pipes and at mid 40's I dont consider myself to be old. My favourite tobaccos are

American Blend Sweet Peach
    Mac Baren Navy Flake
    Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
    Mac Baren Virginia Flake

Yep... I am a bit of a Mac Baren Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sniperscout View Post
    I'm a pipe man myself. I have approx 16 pipes and at mid 40's I dont consider myself to be old. My favourite tobaccos are

American Blend Sweet Peach
    Mac Baren Navy Flake
    Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
    Mac Baren Virginia Flake

Yep... I am a bit of a Mac Baren Fan

I love Mac Baren aromatics:
    Vanilla flake
    Plumcake
    Cherry ambrosia

Stay away from Chocolate and Honey....whew the room starts spinning on me every time...I can never do more than a half bowl, but others around me enjoy it.

Samual Gwaith is the one that produces Squadron Leader, some other favorites from them include:
    Full Virgina Flake
    1792...yes the blend has not changed since 1792, a true classic....smoooooth

Otherwise the house blends can be great, but are usually just renamed from bulk suppliers like Lane and Altadis.

Col, not sure how a biplane would smoke. My friend has produced some beautiful pipes selling them on consignment for $100-150...I feel honeored to own one and it is a great smoker.

Hueg

I've never smoked a day in my life, but I always fancied the idea of a pipe, something really rather romantic about it - to my mind at least. I never realised though, that it was such an in-depth hobby.

Thanks for the glimpse into the world of pipe smoking, a fascinating read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hueg View Post
    I've never smoked a day in my life, but I always fancied the idea of a pipe, something really rather romantic about it - to my mind at least. I never realised though, that it was such an in-depth hobby.

Thanks for the glimpse into the world of pipe smoking, a fascinating read.
    I would never encourage a non-smoker to start....I have never smoked cigarettes, but do enjoy cigars occassionally and now a good pipe.

Just like everything else these days there are forums devoted to cigars and pipes. This one includes both cigars and pipes:

http://www.puff.com/forums/