Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you Repaint?

I must admit that I am not a good painter of aircraft (in any scale) so as the WoW models are nicely painted I leave them alone (appart from wheels machine guns and crew) I have made up a few Skytrex models (although I mainly try and get some one else to do them for me), those that I do paint up I go for one colour paint schemes. Though my forte is for figures and vehicles in 10mm scale as my eye sight is not as it once was.
    However my father was the best aircraft painter I ever came across he has the skill of not only of doing a great paint job and getting the right feel for the aircraft. He is now in in his 80's and still producing great models!

Default Can someone help me to identify this seaplane

Hello,

Can someone help me to identify this seaplane.

The photograph was taken in Azores, Ponta Delgada airfield. They said that it was a seaplane from the naval aviation station in de WWI.

The marks are French and I think that should be American.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20091120(001).jpg   20091120(002).jpg   20091120(003).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Lopes View Post
    Hello,

Can someone help me to identify this seaplane.

The photograph was taken in Azores, Ponta Delgada airfield. They said that it was a seaplane from the naval aviation station in de WWI.

The marks are French and I think that should be American.

Thanks
    Actually, I think those are American roundels (see the plane in my avatar). My ID skills on this aircraft are not too good, but I would bet it's a Macchi M.5 seaplane.

The first US Naval Aviator to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor was Charles Hammann, and he was flying a Macci M.5 in Italy on August 18, 1918, when he earned it. his squadron mate was shot down and landed off the coast of Italy in the water. Ensign Hammann landed his plane even though he too had battle damage, picked up his comrade and flew them both to safety.

The USS Hamman was named after him. It was sunk by a torpedo while tending to the wounded Yorktown during the Battle of Midway in June of 1942.

Brad I agree with you that the markings are American, but I don't thinks it is a Macchi M.5 as I belive they had a single engine and were a pusher type, where as this aircraft appears to be a 3 engined aircraft of which I cannot identify

Here are a couple of my repaints. I am working on a Ufag and Albatross D.V

Last edited by costampede; 11-23-2009 at 09:16.

Nice silky texture to your paint job. Is the triplane scheme historical?

All my repaints are based off images I find on google. As far as I know they are historical.

The Albatross D.V I'm doing is being painted as Goering's D.V, and my Ufag is going to be dark green and light brown.

This is what they will look like when I'm done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Brad I agree with you that the markings are American, but I don't thinks it is a Macchi M.5 as I belive they had a single engine and were a pusher type, where as this aircraft appears to be a 3 engined aircraft of which I cannot identify
    You are right, of course. That aircraft is obviously not a Macchi M.5 (need to get my eyesight checked!).

After searching for a few hours, I found this website:

http://www.aviation-history.com/navy/nc4.html

It appears that the aircraft pictured is the Curtiss NC-3. Read the history of it in the link; it would explain why it is in a museum in Ponta Delgada.

Thanks very much bsmith13

The story is incredible.

Thanks very much bsmith13

The story is incredible.
    My pleasure

Aaron, that Fokker DVII is very good, I wish my eyes were up to that. Lovely paint job.

Hello,
    Do some one know were I can get decal sheets for central and allies airplanes ?

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks
    Dom's Decals is a good site. I just ordered some German decals off him so I can do some repaints.

Cheers
    GW

I would second that from Greywolf, Dom's Decals are exceptionally good. I would urge you however to have a good think about what you want and order all at the same time. I got mine piece by piece and had a longer wait.

Definitely Doms Decals. The quality of the print is very sharp and they are very thin so they do require care when placeing them.

Hello,

Thanks
    4th vote for Dom's Decals, for roundels, as well as marking sheets for specific squadrons. But Reviresco does a nice set of lozenge decals for the wings. Completely different style of paper, but lets you do models with lozenge fabric:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ;5850
    4th vote for Dom's Decals, for roundels, as well as marking sheets for specific squadrons. But Reviresco does a nice set of lozenge decals for the wings. Completely different style of paper, but lets you do models with lozenge fabric:
    Hello Pseudotheist,

Thanks for indicate the Reviresco. There I ordered a AEG-G4, a Friedrichshafen GIII, a Hansa Brandenbor W28 and some decals.

Now I need WoW information type for this airplanes.

Bye

Hello Pseudotheist,

Thanks for indicate the Reviresco. There I ordered a AEG-G4, a Friedrichshafen GIII, a Hansa Brandenbor W28 and some decals.

Now I need WoW information type for this airplanes.

Bye
    Well, the Friedrichshafen GIII will be released in the Flight of the Giants set, which was due out last fall, so I'm hopeful for release next year. It sounds like an H deck would be appropriate for the Hansa Brandenburg, and at a wild guess, you could probably use a G deck without the Immelman turn for the AEG.

Hello,

The Friedrichshafen GIII of the Reviresco has wings and tail in paper.
    I think that this model is not suitable for play WoW. I'm not going to assemble it.

The other two are excellent.

Bye

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Hello,

The Friedrichshafen GIII of the Reviresco has wings and tail in paper.
    I think that this model is not suitable for play WoW. I'm not going to assemble it.

The other two are excellent.

Bye

Has anyone assembled the cardstock winged Friedrichshafen from Reviresco? I'd be interested to know how they would hold up.

Hello,

I've done my first repaint.
    It's the airplane (Fokker Dr I - 214/17) of Ltn d R Wilhelm Papenmeyer, Jasta "Boelcke", in February 1918.

In is third victory, Papenmayer's combat report described a personal marking of a black-white-red fuselage band, and a black tail.

My regards

Nice work. You are far braver than I am about this kind of thing.

I used to play Warmachine so I have a TON of paints and primer and brushes, etc.

These are just so small and well done that I don't have the heart to mess with it. I may buy my own 1/200 stuff for WW2 though and in that case will be forced to do some painting.

I have not tried repainting yet but I have one or two duplicate planes and I was thinking of putting an extra patch of colour or a few stripes on them to make them a little different.

I like doing repaints. My project has been to paint the other planes shown on cards that have miniatures available. I've really enjoyed doing it. I have a couple of more in the works and I just finished working on a photoshoped (or in this case "Gimped") card for a friend of mine that started playing. He wants to paint up a Sopwith for George A. Vaughn. Here are a few of the planes I worked on. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=141
    Last edited by Steve; 02-22-2010 at 17:03. Reason: quicker access to images

Rumpler

I have to say part of the initial attraction to WOW was that there was no painting required. Not that I dont mind painting but I have way too much to do for all my other periods and scales. Having played a game the other week where 6 Rolands were on the table it became evident that I needed to spice mine up to make it more identifiable. So off a painting I shall go. Does anyone know a good site for aircraft paint schemes?

http://wp.scn.ru/

This is excellent and by simply googling for camo, pilots and profiles you can find more.

Rumpler

Thanks George!

I'm wondering what paints everyone uses, and if any are better than others. I'm partial to acrylics, and used to use Tamiya when I was painting models. Now, with minis, I use a variety including Liquitex paste in the tube (also use that for painting Medieval banners, but that's a different hobby).
    Jager
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I actually use use a combination of Craft store paints like Apple Barrel and Hobby paints like Vallejo. Which one I use is determined by the color I need. The craft paints have worked fine where the color is right and typically cost less. That being said, Vallejo makes very nice paint and the colors are typically closer to what I need right out of the bottle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Repaint suggestions please
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 19:13
  2. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30