Ares Games

Thread: Trials of a Frenchman

Default Trials of a Frenchman

I have to confess that I do in fact have other WWI games as well as this one. On my PC I sometimes play one called Wings Over Flanders Fields in its latest incarnation. The reason I like that one is that with my stunning lack of skill I can pick a mission and get the AI Autopilot to fly it for me from take off to landing. I can watch from various views and see what my AI pilot gets up to. Anyway, a new career was started yesterday for my 19 year old French pilot Cpl. Emil Blanchet. He was tasked in this his first mission to fly over the lines and let his Observer take some photos of what the Germans were up to. The mission lasted some 68 minutes from start up to landing.

All went well until Emil actually reached said lines and those horrible Huns started throwing every bullet and shell in their inventory at him. It was the most terrifying experience in his short life and I think he has an accident too. After hanging around and watching those shell bursts for an interminable period of time his Observer (an entitled officer) tapped him on the shoulder and indicated it was time to go home. An almost perfect landing and he shakily climbed out of his airplane and saw a short distance away a gaggle of nurses watching the planes. Instantly transformed (and hoping his pants had dried out) into a French peacock, he strutted over towards said females only to be interrupted in his preening by the intelligence officer who told him the mission had been a failure because no plates had been loaded into the camera.

At least he survived to do a second mission later but I cannot help but wonder how many times failure to load camera/guns/bombs or rockets actually happened back in those grim days.
    Last edited by Baxter; 04-11-2024 at 17:47.

Alas it is my sad duty to report that Emil is no more. On just his second mission on his third day with the squadron, his Caudron G4 collided with an accompanying Moraine Saulnier L and both planes crashed to the ground. All 4 crew were killed. His operational flying times lasted 98 minutes in total.

Please accept my sincere condolences Gary. I raised a pint in his honor.

Ouch! Sadly this probably reflects many actual mission results.

What a sad ending. All his hopes dashed in seconds, leaving all those nurses unrequited
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well, he lasted more than twenty minutes I suppose !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Emil Blanchet. Your country salutes you

Similar Missions

1. SSW D.IV doing engine trials in NZ.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2020, 10:45
  2. Photobucket trials?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2017, 04:19
  3. Replies: 6