Ares Games

Thread: Bernie Gunther book series by Philip Kerr anyone?

Default Bernie Gunther book series by Philip Kerr anyone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BernieGunther1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	337591

Last year I accidentally happened upon a book by fiction author Philip Kerr called March Violets. Set in Berlin in 1936, Bernie Gunther is a German Detective, HATES Nazis, and is the sort of Detective we all love: An imperfect Anti-Hero who deep down is a good guy. He's surrounded by the worst kind of people in the lead-up to World War Two and Detective Gunther is constantly put in the worst kind of moral positions where if he makes a mistake he'll hang, or worse.

Anyway, I've read a few of the books and now have started listening to the EXCELLENT audiobook editions & I wanted to see if any of you have enjoyed the Bernie Gunther series of books by author Philip Kerr? I still have several books to go, but wow these books are good. I hope that HBO makes these books into a series. They could be amazing movies or a series if done well.

Best,

-Chuck
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Not my usual genre, but I could give him a try.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I rather enjoyed the series, but I preferred the Babylon Berlin series by Volker Kutscher. Similar theme, anti-nazi detective in Berlin.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Sort of a German version of Philip Marlowe?

I just grabbed #! in the Babylon Berlin series on your recommendation! I'll start reading it this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I rather enjoyed the series, but I preferred the Babylon Berlin series by Volker Kutscher. Similar theme, anti-nazi detective in Berlin.
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Similar Missions

1. R.I.P. PRINCE PHILIP
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2021, 09:11
  2. RIP Prince Philip
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2021, 20:54
  3. I Didn't Think Senator Bernie Sanders was THAT Old....
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-23-2021, 10:12
  4. My Logbook - Gunther Rall
    By Flashman in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 23:48
  5. New Book in the Osprey Duel Series !
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 08:35