Ares Games

Thread: Out of the mist

Default Out of the mist

Been a while since I last played a game what with my sea faring adventures recently, but Doug and I got together for a 2 seater vs 2 seater stoush last Tuesday night. The plan was that two BR14's were out on a recon and bombing bash up of the advancing Germans. They were American flown, an A2 recon model and a B2 bomber. They both had a forward B gun and an A gun protecting their rear. We decided to go simple with any crew hit would first disable the observer and a second would down the plane. We also decided that a boom would be half damage rounded down. This is how it all unfolded:-

We rolled the dice to see who flew what, and Doug ended up being American. A bit tricky to tell which plane was which, but the A2 recon machine has a strip on the end of its port wing. I flew two Hannover CL IIIa machines armed with B/B guns but much more maneuverable than the Breguet's. No trouble getting my planes confused as one is blue and the other green.

So, leaving the airfield before dawn and with the sun yet to burn off all the ground mist our two American pilots and their observers are anxiously scanning for a break in the mist that will enable them to identify what troops are below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	337384

They are so focused on looking downwards that they almost crash into two Hannover machines that are out to protect their army colleagues. At the last minute, the Germans break to the right and the lead blue plane suffers a disabled observer as he flies past the bomber. His green companion gets a measure of revenge though by setting the B2 on fire.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	337385

Any satisfaction on the part of the Germans is soon dispelled though as the other Breguet bores in for an exchange of fire. The green machine gives out a jam but only as a dying gesture. The deadly A firing American rear gunner kills his own rear gunner and brings him down.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	337386

The surviving blue Hannover does his best to give out damage from his front gun on the Americans, and the accumulating fire damage brings down the bomber.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	337387

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	337388

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	337390

It is not looking too bad for our blue German even with a disabled rear gunner. The A2 plane has a jammed front gun, and our German comes in for a frontal shot on him.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	337391

The canny American pilot manages to get into a perfect position for an unanswered shot from his rear guns however, and it proves too much for our blue Hannover.

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	337392

A good victory for the Americans. Although they did not do much to stop the German ground offensive they did manage to get rid of their air cover.

The American A2 barely got scratched but everyone else was a lead magnet

Thanks for posting.

Hannovers are fun to fly but boy, yours are bullet magnets!

Nice one, Gary, the Hannover's were definitely outgunned but did well to get one of Breguet's down.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Love 2 seater action, thanks for posting

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Nice action there, Gary. Thanks for sharing.

One silly question please. Did the camera reverse all of your pictures? I know mine does sometimes, for some unknown reason. Only the A" recon machine appears with the stripe at the end of its starboard wing, not the port. That had me confused for a bit.

Great little action Gary.
    What do you mean Mike? I looked and I only see it on the Port side. Mind you I have been on the Gin again!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice action there, Gary. Thanks for sharing.

One silly question please. Did the camera reverse all of your pictures? I know mine does sometimes, for some unknown reason. Only the A" recon machine appears with the stripe at the end of its starboard wing, not the port. That had me confused for a bit.
    From Fox Business News:-

An ultra-rare stamp depicting an upside-down aircraft has sold for $2 million at a New York auction, setting the record for the most expensive single U.S. stamp sold.

The stamp, known as the "Inverted Jenny," was purchased on Wednesday and is known both for its rarity and for the fact that it was printed in error as the plane on it came out upside down.

The red, white and blue colored stamp was purchased by Charles Hack, 76, a stamp collector, who told The Washington Post that it was "the holy grail of postage" and a piece of "American history."

Now if you have a Breguet with the stripe on the wrong wing I wonder how much that would be worth to a collector ......

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    From Fox Business News:-

An ultra-rare stamp depicting an upside-down aircraft has sold for $2 million at a New York auction, setting the record for the most expensive single U.S. stamp sold.
    Did the buyer feel a bit silly the next day when he looked at the stamp on the table and saw that the plane was the right way up? It was only the writing that was upside down!!

Similar Missions

1. Damn it mist again.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 13:23