Ares Games

Thread: Fall In game 4 - Feeling Out the Sky

Default Fall In game 4 - Feeling Out the Sky

Fall In 2023 Game 4 – Feeling Out the Sky

9 pilots were game enough to come and fly some early war birds and feel out their capabilities….or lack of!
    A plethora of early war birds, Caudron G.4, Morane-Saulnire Types l and P, Bristol Scout, Vickers Gunbus, Pfalz E.III,
    Fokker E.III, D.I, D.II, and Gotha Ursinus.

2 German Drachen and 1 French balloons were targets besides all the slow moving aircraft.

A RFC Gunbus sneaks past an Eindecker to have a go at the Drachen. The Morane Saulnier P jammed its front gun with no result against the Drachen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	335361

This balloon crew quickly bail out as it seems the French can’t be bothered to protect it.
    The Germans have an easier time of it and quickly set this French balloon on fire!

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	335362

The second French balloon receives a similar fate. Fokker Eindecker, D.I and D.II compete for the glory of the kill!

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	335363

The German Drachen wonders why the Gunbus is just circling around it until they saw the observer working away at his jammed gun.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	335364

The French finally get over to their first firey balloon a little too late. The Caudron G.4 and Morane Saulnier Type P are on the wrong side to keep the Pfalz E.III.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	335365

A Gotha Ursinus moves in behind the MS-P. The observer is helpless until he clears his gun jam.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	335366

The Pfalz E,III delivers the coup-de-gras on the balloon as the French watch in disgust.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	335367

With his jam finally cleared the Gunbus fires a stream of bullets at the Drachen. Unfortunately they seem to bounce off or do no damage at all!

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	335368

A second MS-P joins in with the RFC Gunbus attacking the Drachen. The damage is starting to accumulate.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	335369

The MS-P does a daring maneuver flying directly over a burning Drachen! (airplane card on balloon base)

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	335370

The second French balloon is desperately being hauled down while it burns. An RFC ristol Scout flies over it, trying to decide if it should go after a Fokker Eindecker or the D.I. Which poses the greater danger to the balloon?

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	335371

Even on fire this Drachen is putting up a fight to stay aloft. Lots of small damage inflicted but it is still intact.

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	335372

The Gunbus tried to help but only jammed its gun. The Eindecker ends up finishing off the second French balloon.

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	335373

The French took it on the chin, losing both of their balloons and to have to watch the Germans salvage theirs before the fire could consume it.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-04-2024 at 10:03.

Another great set of Pics and action with the early birds!

Love the early bird scenarios.

Just received a pair of Gunbus models and a British Morane-Saulnier L from Daryl's R.A.F. so I really need to get my Bristol Scouts done and get them to the table.

Nice exhibition of some very early birds. Well done!

Beautiful assortment of early birds, Peter
    Who brought the marshmallows?

Nice game. Well done Germans.

More good reportage Pete.

Great to see the balloonatics at it again. I just wonder how many balloons once on fire were actually rescued and brought down by their crews safely?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great scenarios with early war planes.
    I’ve been wondering why the Gotha Ursinus G.I was taking part in the mission with no target to bomber but I’ve just read this :
    At this stage of the war (late 1915), Type G aircraft were being used for defensive patrols, reconnaissance and only rarely for bombing.
    So, this scenario is very well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The Pfalz E,III delivers the coup-de-gras on the balloon as the French watch in disgust.
    Little mispelled about “Coup de grâce” (final blow).
    “Coup de gras” would mean “blow of fat”. Well, that’s what happen to the balloon and the french are really disgusted by the burst of their big fat balloon.

Another outstanding outing, Peter, nice sedate early kit knocking lumps out of each other & balloons to light up, bravo !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post

“Coup de gras” would mean “blow of fat”. Well, that’s what happen to the balloon and the french are really disgusted by the burst of their big fat balloon.

Simon, it must be due to that excellent French cuisine!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    More good reportage Pete.

Great to see the balloonatics at it again. I just wonder how many balloons once on fire were actually rescued and brought down by their crews safely?

Rob.
    I can't imagine may were. This time the fire kept pulling 1s and 0s so one very lucky balloon!

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Great scenarios with early war planes.
    I’ve been wondering why the Gotha Ursinus G.I was taking part in the mission with no target to bomber but I’ve just read this :
    At this stage of the war (late 1915), Type G aircraft were being used for defensive patrols, reconnaissance and only rarely for bombing.
    So, this scenario is very well documented.

Ahem...

I can argue it could have been either!

Similar Missions

1. Fall In 2023 Game 3 - Not On My Watch
    By Teaticket in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2024, 11:26
  2. Fall In 2022 - Game 3 - Double the Fun
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-16-2022, 12:08
  3. 2022 Fall In - game 2 - Zeppelin!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2022, 09:28
  4. Fall In - game 5 - The Cylons Among Us
    By Teaticket in forum After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2019, 22:44
  5. ideas for a grand scale feeling convention game?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 11:14