Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DONCASTER 2024 THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I could run a WW1 "Cards Only" 20th Anniversary of "Wings" game.
    Yes! Do this! It sometimes gets a bit lonely being the only one posting cards AARs

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Yes! Do this! It sometimes gets a bit lonely being the only one posting cards AARs
    I'm going to GM a "Famous Aces" back-to-basics cards-only game @ Prague in April, to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of that box set hitting the shelves.

If I can do it @ Doncaster as well that would be great.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Consider it done, fantastic idea celebrating both anniversaries. If we ask nicely maybe Andrea will autograph some of the cards/boxes

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Ok I intend to be there at Donny with +1.
    Really harsh seeing the comments about the best game, which is sails of course. I am looking to put on a historical battle, if Taranto dont take all the tables.
    There will always be room for you Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Haven’t a clue, hoping that someone who has participated will be able to explain/run it.
    Here you go Chris The English section is further down the page.

https://www.ludusintabula.org/europe...2024-lucca.../

https://www.fiw.it/wings-of-glory-european-master/
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 03-07-2024 at 04:58.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Does that mean you are volunteering to run it Paul?

No sorry Chris , going for the hat trick of games Prague , Rome and Donnie. You can do it easy, its only a matter of setting the time limit and collating the points, A man of your banking background can do that standing on their head

I’ll have to have a look, as whom so ever runs that rules themselves out of every other game on the Saturday, and what with the Aces on a Sunday means I’m pretty much out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Can’t see translations

Hello pilots, I and Andrea are supporting the Master challenge in Lucca, will play the formula in Prague and will lead the same in Rome ... I really would immagine me in Doncaster this year and it will be the first time for me with you there. Let me know if you are interested in experiencing this 4 round dogfight + bombing, very basic rules, kind of challenge and I'll be very happy to bring the format in Doncaster.
    ��

I am getting translations of the scorecards and hotel reservations sections but the Rules are still in Italian Chris/ Paul!
    Rob.

Ello All. Just received my leave pass so will be joining you all

Just received my leave pass so will be joining you all
    Excellent news

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Very good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoan View Post
    Hello pilots, I and Andrea are supporting the Master challenge in Lucca, will play the formula in Prague and will lead the same in Rome ... I really would immagine me in Doncaster this year and it will be the first time for me with you there. Let me know if you are interested in experiencing this 4 round dogfight + bombing, very basic rules, kind of challenge and I'll be very happy to bring the format in Doncaster.
    ��
    It will be good to see you in Doncaster Andrea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am getting translations of the scorecards and hotel reservations sections but the Rules are still in Italian Chris/ Paul!
    Rob.
    Uploading the Englaise version now

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Very good news Iain. See you there.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Uploading the Englaise version now
    Thanks Paul.
    Rob.

Waiting for file approval

Whats apped them to you Chris.

Received Paul.
    Nice one Iain

If any other pilots want a seat in the Swordfish for the Taranto game, there are now only three remaining so if you want to fly please PM me soonest.
    Rob.

All seats for the Taranto game are now taken.

Rob.

Will start pulling together the timetable once Prague is done.
    May have to look at possibility of running some games twice

I want to run at least one game. I can easily be pursuaded to run 2. PM me with what you have and we can work something out.

The Taranto game is already fully booked up with 12 pilots Chris.
    I will notify you about the table size we need in a few days time.
    Rob.

I ran a WW1 game at our Flight Club meeting recently, Chris. So long as the timing doesn't clash with the Taranto game, I'd be happy to run it again at Donnie. Its called "There and Back again" and is very loosely based on a real scenario that took place on the western front during Bloody April 1917. Sopwith Pups and Strutters v Albatros DIIIs. I have enough for eight a side if folk are interested, but doubt it would work with fewer than nine players.
    Let me know what you think.
    Mike

Thanks Mike, much appreciated

Wow Prague 2024 looks like it was a fantastic event... the words that spring to mind are follow that !!!
    To that event I will now begin pulling together the proposed program for the Doncaster event, trying to take into the account demands for certain games, the likely number of attendees, willing GMs etc etc.
    Watch this space...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I ran a WW1 game at our Flight Club meeting recently, Chris. So long as the timing doesn't clash with the Taranto game, I'd be happy to run it again at Donnie. Its called "There and Back again" and is very loosely based on a real scenario that took place on the western front during Bloody April 1917. Sopwith Pups and Strutters v Albatros DIIIs. I have enough for eight a side if folk are interested, but doubt it would work with fewer than nine players.
    Mike
    Put me down for a seat in this one Mike I'll fly for the Central Powers

Well that's all sorted. Premier Inn and breakfasts all sorted

I'm in for Taranto, and am planning to GM a rerun of my "cards only" Famous Aces game just played @ Prague.

Obviously, these two mustn't clash.....
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Mike
    I'll have some of that Mike, subject to no Taranto/Air Race clash
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Blimey, planning just got complicated

I can add to that Chris. For Taranto we will need an 8ft by 5ft playing surface with two side tables for the players mats and one for the GMs charts etc.
    We are already fully signed up with 12 pilots.
    Rob.

Maybe we set up Taranto in the Sails room?
    Also how do you feel about running Taranto twice? Once on Friday afternoon and again on Saturday as everyone seems to want to play it…

Problem with that is, I would need to be there before sparrow fart on Friday to get it all in place. That is why I like all my games on Friday morning Chris. Plenty of up and down time to assemble it all. The Sails room sounds great. I would think that with a bit of lateral juxtaposing of tables we could get both games in there at the same time.
    Rob.

How about having two slots on the Saturday morning? so running it twice to facilitate more players?
    Understand if that's not practical

That would be O.K. Chris, but you would have to run it past Neil as it is his game. I am only the Gofor. We could do wave one with my 12pilots, and wave two with another eight in the second half. That would be doable.
    Rob.

Neil says yes, so we shall run this twice to give everyone a chance to play.
    So am sorted for WW1 games, WW2 games, the European Masters tournament, just need to get some idea what the boaty boys are planning…

I have spoken to Neil on the landline. What we will do is run the scenario in two halves. The first wave attack will be made by the 12 Pilots who are already signed up.
    The second wave will give eight more players a chance to take part so please PM me if interested. First come first served.
    The wave one pilots are:-

PILOTS LIST.

FIRST WAVE.

Mikee
    Teaticket.
    Flying Helmut.
    Guntruck.
    Tikkifriend.
    Angiolillo
    Hedeby.
    Dave Manley.
    Woof.
    John Biggles.
    Guus.
    Lex.

SECOND WAVE.

Magnoan.

Thanks for the heads up Rob. Look forward to the success of the Stringbags

There has been a lot of chat around having the European Masters competition at this year's event.
    Due to the fact that it is run over 4 rounds it is going to impact on players availability for other games. Now we could use some of the Friday slots but I know a lot of folk wouldn't arrive in time...
    Can these rounds be completed within an hour? or do they need to fill a two hour slot? does anybody know?

Suggestions anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have spoken to Neil on the landline. What we will do is run the scenario in two halves. The first wave attack will be made by the 12 Pilots who are already signed up.
    The second wave will give eight more players a chance to take part so please PM me if interested. First come first served.
    The wave one pilots are:-

PILOTS LIST.

FIRST WAVE.

Mikee
    Teaticket.
    Flying Helmut.
    Guntruck.
    Tikkifriend.
    Angiolillo
    Hedeby.
    Dave Manley.
    Woof.
    John Biggles.
    Guus.
    Lex.
    Better make sure there is not a lot left for the second wave then
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

There has been a lot of chat around having the European Masters competition at this year's event.
    Due to the fact that it is run over 4 rounds it is going to impact on players availability for other games. Now we could use some of the Friday slots but I know a lot of folk wouldn't arrive in time...
    Can these rounds be completed within an hour? or do they need to fill a two hour slot? does anybody know?

Suggestions anyone?
    Being a non-euro import am I allowed to fly in this?

Suggestions anyone?

This is going to be a radical suggestion, but should the European Masters be a separate event? If it commits entrants to playing four games then that is going to wipe out most of the day for them and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the attendees were prime candidates for playing in it (not me, I'm rubbish). Or might there be an option to stay later than the usual museum closing time ? (I'm guessing not for security and insurance reasons, but maybe.....)

Suggestions anyone?
    Each round is 45 mins. very little set up at all.
    4 rounds in total . each player will play
    1 Central powers dogfight
    2 Entente dogfight.
    3 CP bombing
    4 Entente bombing.
    so a total of 180 mins of tournement play.
    No referees, only collation at the end of each game.
    game card scoreing pads can be got from Andrea Magno via request or see Dan if he has any PDFs from Prague.

So what games , apart from Taranto Daves superb air race , and Tims original cards game are planned for the weekend?

I will publish tomorrow, can condense the Masters into 3 slots which means we can avoid the Taranto game, so hopefully everyone will be happy…

And so it continues.

Taranto

SECOND WAVE.

1. Magnoan.

I will update as the pilots sign in.

Rob.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Salute 2024
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:34
  2. Cold Wars 2024 cancelled!
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2023, 08:12
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 01:35