In the Duel Pack I recently purchased as my "travel WoG kit" that a table is given in the rule booklet for new players to create balanced encounters when acquiring additional planes packs.

This made me wonder how you guys balance the scenarios you create

Which factors influence your choice of planes?

Personally I go for historical accuracy (i.e. planes that were likely to be at a certain point in time vis-a-vis in the skies of whichever theatre of operations I set the background to be) with no much regard for balance of in-game firepower or maneuvrability.

I understand this might make life for one of the two sides pretty hard, but my history buff's conscience is at rest, in that way

For what converns the bumber of machines deployed I always try to give an equal number of planes and ground targets to each side, using my "rule of the 2", which is:

*no more than two planes per participant when playing against human opponents (guess this depends on my friends being fairly new to the game);
*no more than two planes per side in solo games (4 planes is all I can really control without slowing down the game too much if playing solitaire!);
*no more than two ground targets/AA units per side for each standard gaming mat or equivalent surface (I had to limit myself after discovering AA guns on my transition from the original WoW rules set to the WoG equivalent - I would spend a lot of time manouvering Archie instead of looping and diving in my planes!)

So far the above has worked fairly well in my modest gaming sessions.

How do you guys go about it? Do you tweak the manouvering/damage decks much to create more balanced games?

Looking forward to your wisdom!