Ares Games

Thread: Experience with Drachen plastic kits from "Pig Models"?

Default Experience with Drachen plastic kits from "Pig Models"?

Does anybody got his hands on the Parsefal-Sigsfeld model kits from „Pig Models“ (from Taiwan?), yet?
    Is there an affordable way to get these kits in Europe? Is the quality okay?

(-> https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pig-...sfeld--1429312)

Cheers
    Michael

There are some differences. The Pig model is plastic and requires glueing the two halves. It also comes with rigging and a base and stand for it. The Red Eagle version is one whole piece and it a resin/foam material. It doesn’t come with any type of rigging or base. Both require painting. I think the upcoming Ares models are painted and come with rigging and a base. Probably the better option IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    ..I think the upcoming Ares models are painted and come with rigging and a base. Probably the better option IMHO.
    Except their's is a Caquot not a Parseval-Sigsfeld. An opportunity missed
    The Pig model looks quite decent - I'll get one if I can source one at a reasonable price and use it with the Nexus base to ring the changes.
    https://www.themodellingnews.com/202...ld-german.html

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Dave - thanks for correcting me regarding the Ares Caquot balloon.

I agree that a Parseval-Sigsfeld would have been a great addition to the Ares line of gas bags.

The suggestion fell on deaf ears but then it is easier to mould something already done previously. Not everyone who has the Nexus version will buy the Ares Caquots, everyone would likely have bought in to Parseval-Sigsfelds just because it's different.

The Pig Model looks nice - what are the stabilizers and ropes made from, photo etch? That wouldn't be too sturdy if so. It's 250% more than the resin AIM drachen. Not sure how total price with the shipping costs to Europe compares but at $18 these are nice.
    AIM drachen

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    The Pig Model looks nice - what are the stabilizers and ropes made from, photo etch?
    No, Chris, they're plastic - if looking at the pics in the link they're on the sprue & the same colour as the balloon.
    I like the look of the AIM one, just never got round to it; if it's all resin it'll be quite a weight and might shatter/crack if dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    No, Chris, they're plastic - if looking at the pics in the link they're on the sprue & the same colour as the balloon.
    I like the look of the AIM one, just never got round to it; if it's all resin it'll be quite a weight and might shatter/crack if dropped.
    Ahh, thanks, Dave, I see it now.
    Never had any issues with the AIM ones but I suppose it could break.
    Love the rigging and details on these, if it's not too fragile. Will have to keep an eye out for them! Bonus points for kitty cat pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-08-19_11-13-33.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	330049

kitty seems particularly excited at seeing a balloon!

Thank you for the hint Chris, the AIM models look good. Shipping costs are a downer though.

No problem ... thank you - I ordered two of the Pigs

the red eagle model looks good. I ordered miniatures from UK recently, was a +16 EUR fee for customs and postal service. That would add up to 45EUR, about 38.5 GBP or 49USD for one Drachen model...

Quote Originally Posted by Graugans View Post
    the red eagle model looks good. I ordered miniatures from UK recently, was a +16 EUR fee for customs and postal service. That would add up to 45EUR, about 38.5 GBP or 49USD for one Drachen model...
    This past May I ordered the Red Eagle Parseval-Sigsfeld drachen and three other items. The total price was $34 (USD), shipping $16. I thought the price was good, the cost of shipping is what it is. Good quality pieces. Yes, the drachen rigging lines are not included, but I don't view this as a big deal.
    Last edited by Larry R.; 08-24-2023 at 16:52.

Chris, what is your opinion on the Pig models, can you compare them to the red eagle or AIM models?

They are fantastically detailed. I haven't assembled one yet but the details, ropes, and basket are great, better than AIM but costlier. I can't really compare to Red Eagle since the one I had was a one-off prototype.

I won't be using the Pig stand. I don't care for the look and will try to adapt it to use a magnetic telescoping stand. Hopefully i can get the angle to work so the basket and ropes look correct.

Similar Missions

1. Other For Sale - Parseval-Siegsfeld "Drachen" Observation Balloons
    By Biomage in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-2023, 00:53
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-27-2014, 18:17
  3. Origins 2013 - "Burn, Drachen, Burn"
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 01:44
  4. Origins 2013 - "Burn, Drachen, Burn"