Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DONCASTER 2023

Does anybody’s journey to Doncaster go anywhere near Manchester?
    We have a transportation challenge for one of our number thanks to those inconsiderate striking bastards (sorry I meant train drivers)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

could you put myself and Marian down for WW2 all Saturday

Sorted Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Does anybody’s journey to Doncaster go anywhere near Manchester?
    We have a transportation challenge for one of our number thanks to those inconsiderate striking bastards (sorry I meant train drivers)
    Thanks Chris, I just wanted put here the question right now.
    I am thinking about possibilities whole weekend, maybe I'll tey to re-schedule the itinerary and get to Doncaster earlier.

Dan, if all else fails, I will come and fetch you from Manchester on Friday morning... not going to leave anyone stranded !

I appreciate your offer and and I am very grateful for it. This ("not going to leave anyone stranded") is exactly the philosophy I try to live every day. Salute to you, sir
    New plan is: go by train on Thursday night from Manchester to Doncaster and spend whole Friday there. One full day for Manchester and IMW North should be OK
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 08-27-2023 at 14:06.

Happy to pick you up from the station Dan, let me know when your train arrives. Might as well save you the cost of a taxi.

Hi, no need, it's just about 15 minjtes walk and I know the way well (Doncaster Lodge). But thank you, my friend, you care as nobody else

PS: All changes confirmed, now just pack my bag

See you soon Dan.

Anyone else need fetching from station etc. Please just let me know.

Chris. Thanks for the kind offer but I'm coming in on Thursday afternoon, so I won't trouble you. Happy to get a taxi.

A quick question if I may? What is the plan for the bring and buy? Is it just for Wings things or can we bring other wargame stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    We have 18 ships and a frigate squadron in our game to control so it looks like about three ships per captain at present.

Rob.
    QUESTION's a. What rule set do you use b. What scale models.

It'll be Sails of Glory, Peter
    https://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I ask because I have 1-1200 Langton Miniatures Napoleonic (20+). I used the rule set 'Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls'. I have not come across Sails of Glory before..... so will be interested to see this rule set in use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	330402

Pop onto the Sails site and have a look at some of the games we have played in the past.
    This year at Donnie we are doing Copenhagen as our main game and a Pirates one in the afternoon.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi David, IIRC the idea was anything wargames related ... I hope I'm not wrong on that ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    A quick question if I may? What is the plan for the bring and buy? Is it just for Wings things or can we bring other wargame stuff?
    Bring anything you like

Bring anything you like
    Lovely I wonder if anyone would like some Peter Pig ACW ironclads?

Good excuse to clear out the deep dark corners of the games cupboard

Nah, they are not that great. There's some bloke knocking out STL files for 3D printing ACW ships that are a whole lot better. Can't remember his name though....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Nah, they are not that great. There's some bloke knocking out STL files for 3D printing ACW ships that are a whole lot better. Can't remember his name though....
    lol touting for business or what?

lol touting for business or what?
    Better ask Dave M.

Not me, I just have some PP ships looking for a home

Would that be a fiver for the lot OK I'll get my coat David

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Would that be a fiver for the lot OK I'll get my coat David
    Depends, will there be a road chase down the M18 to a pub involved?

Depends, will there be a road chase down the M18 to a pub involved?
    Not again.. different road but isn't that how you got them back last time ?!

It was indeed

Not again.. different road but isn't that how you got them back last time ?!
    Very nearly robbed blind, he was. But he quickly mounted up in Exeter, gave chase, and made an excellent recovery almost in Somerset I believe. Not an experience I should think you would want to repeat David, huh?

As I am just leaving for Newark (thought I'd treat Mrs G to a look at the air museum and the ECW Centre) on the way up to Donnie, a timely word about the Brazilian is in order. Its booked for 7.45 p.m. so I suggest meeting in the bar by 7.30 and wandering across the car park, or if you want to make your own way there, it's still across the car park . You shouldn't be able to miss it, but if you do the address is Estabulo, Herten Triangle, Herten Way, Doncaster DN4 7FW.

Looking forward to having a Brazilian

Looking forward to having a Brazilian
    You say that now..

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You say that now..
    Brenda,s beaver agrees👍

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hopefully everyone's journeys have been ok. Due to ridiculous traffic, I am arriving over 2 hours later than planned so I will see you all in the morning. Looking forward to it!

Have a splendid long weekend, chaps, looking forward to seeing the pics of the action

Wishing I could have joined you all there.
    Good flying, and comradery

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A big thank you to Chris and everyone who put on a game this weekend. Fantastic to see everyone again and Karen's already claimed it, oh dear.

Those that where there know what I mean.

See you all again next year.
    See you on the Dark Side......

My to Chris and all participants. It was not easy for me to wait 4 years through pandemic to visit Doncaster and England again. It is something like dad's holiday now, but I hope I'll taky my family one day too (I must say I let Veronika just look at my tiny planes, not play with them...yet). I live in "Belle Époque", thank you for it.

Dan, it was our privilege to welcome you back (along with the Dutch wing of Guus, Lex and Arian and Paul from France)
    What a fantastic weekend, glorious weather as well.
    So grateful to everyone that made the effort to attend.

Roll on next year which will be our 10th anniversary, so we need to make it something really special.
    Last edited by Hedeby; 09-03-2023 at 15:06.

It was a lovely weekend (apart from the mushy peas - first time I've ever been able to slice them! ) Well done to Chris for organising, and to everyone for being there and making it such a fun event. The Copenhagen game was a blast (especially if you were in the Trekroner Fort), the punters in my air racing game approached the event with great enthusiasm (even Paul who managed to end up flying the wrong way round the circuit at one point), Lex showed us that Dutch pirate ships probably should have wheels (driven into a rock? Just drive over it!) and the Ace if Aces was even more chaotic and migraine inducing than ever, but still great fun! Also, it was great to see Simon there showing that he has lost none of his mischievous spirit (apologies for downing him twice (?) in the ace of Aces)

Roll on 2024!!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Remeber to spell my name right on the Wooden Spoon Chris
    Looks like Chris won't have that problem this year.

Thanks for the games and getting to see everyone again, it was great fun!

For those of you who liked my WW2 Hawaiian shirt at Doncaster, I have just found that the company I got it from do a WW1 shirt as well.

Linkydinky

They also do a nice tank shirt, but sadly nothing to interest the boaty faction. I can't emphasise enough how heartbroken I am about that

What an absolute BLAST the whole weekend. Thanks to all who put on the games and to everyone else just for being there . In the A o A game I think I had an extra card called "Ramming Speed" Ta everso

OK, which of you schwinehunds gave me a dose of the lurgy? Come on, own up! Sore throat, running nose, coughing like a good 'un

Sorry to hear that Gunners.
    A good whiff of sea air may do you good! Failing that try a drop of the old

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just checked, at least it isn't Covid, and I don't think Patient Zero is to blame as he appeared to be in rude health

Not me this time, all fighting fit here. I hope you are feeling better soon Gunners!

Snap Steve, soar throat from hell, can't swallow much. No coughing, yet or runny nose.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Nothing f9r me either all good.

Sore throat here, and fatigue... I've done a test too which came back negative.

Damn those 5th columnists, spreading lurgy wherever they go. All okay this end though

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-17-2023, 14:40
  2. DONCASTER 2023
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 07-14-2023, 08:05
  3. DONCASTER 2023 PRIZE RAFFLE #1
    By Hedeby in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-23-2023, 05:01