Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BALLOON and NIEUPORT 16, release in September 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I ordered through Miniature Market back in May. Mine are scheduled to be delivered on Nov 15th.
    Balloons are still listed as preorder, with no actual stock. Nothing but crickets for my order.

I received an email a couple of hours ago from "Intraship@DHL

It's all in Italian.....

Could it be my balloons etc.?

I'll have to wait to get home, in order to open my emails on my laptop, then hit it with "Google Translate".....
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

My balloon from Miniature Market arrived yesterday. Looks really nice too. I had pre-ordered it back in July.

My 2 balloons were delivered today. They are very nice!

Name:  balloons1.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  103.0 KB

Anybody remember what the original estimate was, just for Getting Better metrics?

You are right, but this is a happy moment anyway. Simply celebrate the most wanted stuff came and that is a good news, I guess.
    I remember I sent a balloon to Richard (itchy) around 2012 - they were sold out in UK and there was a shop with 5+ pieces of them here in Prague (for 35$ each if I remember well). So far, so good

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I received an email a couple of hours ago from "Intraship@DHL

It's all in Italian.....

Could it be my balloons etc.?

I'll have to wait to get home, in order to open my emails on my laptop, then hit it with "Google Translate".....
    It's an order being dispatched from Florence, Italy - balloons???

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nothing for me yet. Pre-ordered back in May.
    Did you get yours yet, Pete? I see on the "Official Wings of Glory" Facebook page that quite a few people are still waiting for their balloons from Miniature Market.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Did you get yours yet, Pete? I see on the "Official Wings of Glory" Facebook page that quite a few people are still waiting for their balloons from Miniature Market.
    Mine are still on a Shipping Hold, admittedly placed by my own hand to save them and me both shipping costs. I usually ask them to release a batch every 6 months or so.

I got mine 2 weeks ago but I didn't order any of the N16s. I see MM now has the N16s so maybe Pete will get them soon?

I see MM now has the N16s so maybe Pete will get them soon?
    Let's hope so!

I got mine 2 weeks ago but I didn't order any of the N16s. I see MM now has the N16s so maybe Pete will get them soon?
    And me as well - had ordered 2 balloons and 2 N16. Still in a holding pattern for the order to land safely.

I see MM now has the N16s so maybe Pete will get them soon?
    In Stock but still shows "Preorder"

I think that's how they build their orders when the stock is not yet available.

I got the Balloons and Lafayette Squadron in Germany a couple of days ago, but nobody seems to stock Navarre. I can't find it in stock anywhere in Europe. Strange that some product is available but Navarre isn't. Has anybody in Germany received a Navarre?

BTW: I think the product quality is much improved. Really liking this release!

Users Country Flag

Name
    lankin
    Sorties Flown

Hi I received the Big bundle-preorder from Ares before around two weeks near Wiesbaden,
    the 2 Drachen and the 3 Nieuports..

Also Ares have anything available on their website, without preorder you have to look for
    the additional shipping costs. https://ks.aresgames.eu/

Quote Originally Posted by lankin View Post
    Hi I received the Big bundle-preorder from Ares before around two weeks near Wiesbaden,
    the 2 Drachen and the 3 Nieuports..

Also Ares have anything available on their website, without preorder you have to look for
    the additional shipping costs. https://ks.aresgames.eu/
    It's looking like Miniature Market was the worst possible option for purchasing these.

Presentation of the series
    BALLON CAQUOT: Sand, Brown
    NIEUPORT 16: Navarre, Escadrille Lafayette, De Guibert

On the back of each figurine box is a short presentation in English of the balloon, aircraft and pilot or squadron.
    Each box includes several Crew Skill cards (balloon, Nieuport) and Technical Characteristic cards (Nieuport 16).
    These cards are supplied as printable PDF files in french version for ordering from Asyncron.

SAND AND BROWN BALLON

The historical presentation of Caquot balloons on the Ares Games website.

Wings of Glory / Wings of War reissue model comparison

The 2 WOG models have a uniform color, while the WOWs have shades of color.
    On top of the balloons, the WOGs feature painted ropes. The shrouds on the WOG gondolas are brown (orange on the WOWs).
    The WOG SAND version has a tint closer to the canvas color than the yellow WOW.

Accessoires

Each box contains a double-sided Balloon card (same thickness as an airplane card, unlike the thick cardboard Balloon card of WOW models), Central Empires side and Entente side.

Rules booklet (french rules by Asyncron editing), counters and decals.
    9 D Damage cards (for attacks with Le Prieur rockets fitted to Nieuports), 4 Ground Units cards

Skill cards

MARKSMAN OBSERVER
    An observer aboard this balloon can take infantry fire once per turn, against an aircraft whose base center is within 1 ruler's distance of the balloon's center, inflicting one A damage card. Only special damage is taken into account, damage points are ignored.
    If the Balloon Observers rule is used, choose the observer with the Precision Shooter skill. He can shoot as long as he is not disabled or has not parachuted.

BALLOON BUSTER
    When the Ace shoots a balloon, the player controlling the balloon must indicate whether at least one 0-point Damage card is inflicted on the balloon, without specifying the number of 0-point cards.
    In this case, the Ace may ask the player to draw an additional damage card from the same deck as one of the 0-point damage cards. The Ace then takes four Recovery counters: until they are all discarded, the player controlling a ball hit by the Ace no longer indicates the 0-point Damage cards.

EXPERIENCED GROUND CREW
    This balloon is brought back to the ground with one less turn than foreseen by the scenario (normally 11 instead of 12).
    If the Balloon Down rule is used, when the player decides to bring the balloon to the ground for the first time in the game, the first Up counter is immediately discarded, followed by a second counter at the end of the same turn.

EVADER
    When this pilot takes a Damage card due to an exploding balloon, he can decide, after looking at it, to discard it and take another from the same deck. The discarded card is then shuffled back into its original deck. This skill can be used twice per game, but only once per turn.
    This skill can also be used when a Damage card is taken as a result of a collision with a plane, balloon or balloon barrage.

INCENDIARY BULLETS
    An Ace with the Chivalrous Attitude skill cannot use incendiary bullets.
    When a plane equipped with incendiary bullets fires at an enemy plane and inflicts :
    > a Smoke damage, this must be treated as a Flame damage.
    > a 5-point damage with no special damage, the target plane also suffers a Flame damage.
    > an Engine damage, the target plane also suffers a Smoke damage.

NIEUPORT 16

The Nieuport 16 presentation on the Ares Games website.

3 well-made, beautifully crafted miniatures.
    Immediately noticeable are the engine cowling and wing gun, both in a well-suited metallic gray.
    Several improvements have been made to the reissued models, and the historical criteria are pretty much respected, according to the period photos (description below).

NAVARRE
    The light-colored canvas on the upper wing is clearly visible.
    It's hard to distinguish on the vintage photo whether the horizontal tail is plain or camouflaged.
    On the other hand, the triangular metal tip at the junction of the fuselage and engine cowling has not been painted on the model.

source: Navarre and its Nieuports.

Wings of Glory / Wings of War reissue model comparison

- ESCADRILLE LAFAYETTE :
    Machine-gun mount: more realistic metallic color / brown.
    Engine cowling - painted metal triangular tip at fuselage junction: missing / present.
    Vertical and horizontal tailplane edges: more aesthetically pleasing dark color / light color.
    Fuselage decoration (die): smaller size / larger size.
    Landing gear center post: gray (like vertical posts) / light yellow.
    Tire: black / metal gray.
    Wheel flange: dark gray (decoration missing) / dark gray with decoration (die)

sources: Osprey SPA124 Lafayette Escadrille (Aviation Elite Units page 26) / Board Game Geek / Pinterest

- DE GUIBERT
    Machine-gun mount: more realistic metallic color / brown.
    Engine cowling: realistic metallic color / brown.
    Fuselage brown color: satin / dull
    Fuselage decoration: size 7 too small / right size.
    White color of wing and tail caps: light white more aesthetic / white tending to gray (similar to fuselage decoration).
    Central landing gear strut: more attractive gray (like the vertical struts) / light yellow.

On the second color photo, the commentary indicates that the Nieuport 17's engine cowling is gray.
    We can assume from the first photo that the hood of Henri De Guibert's Nieuport 16 is also grey.

source: Les escadrilles françaises (Albin Denis)

Technical cards (common to all 3 Nieuport 16 models)

ALTERNATIVE ARMAMENT @
    The aircraft is equipped with a second machine gun, mounted on the fuselage in addition to the one mounted on the upper wing.
    In this case, the aircraft has firepower A instead of B.

HIGHER MACHINE GUN NI.16 @/@@
    The machine gun attached to the upper wing can be used to fire upwards. If the attacking aircraft is not performing a difficult maneuver, it can fire at an aircraft when their bases overlap, provided that part of the target base is within the attacking aircraft's firing arc. The shot is considered short-range.

HIGHER MACHINE GUN NI.16 @@@
    The machine gun mounted on the upper wing can be used to fire upwards. With altitude rules, if the attacking aircraft is not performing a difficult maneuver, it can shoot at an aircraft located in its arc of fire when their bases overlap, provided the target is exactly 1 altitude level above (shot considered long range). It can also shoot at an aircraft in its firing arc when their bases overlap at the same altitude, provided the target has one or more climb counters and the attacking aircraft has none (considered short-range shooting).

Skill cards

NAVARRE

SNEAK ATTACK
    When firing at close range, if the ruler passes through the rear edge of the target aircraft's base, the target receives an additional damage card (3 instead of 2). When this skill is used, take four Recovery counters.
    @ If the Machine Gun Up rule is applied to the attacking aircraft, the target aircraft receives an additional damage card thanks to this skill.
    @@@ With the Advanced rules, the extra damage card is awarded to the target plane exactly 1 altitude level above. When both planes are at the same altitude, it is awarded to the target plane if it has one or more climb counters and the attacking plane has none.

SNIPER
    When this Ace draws, the player may choose one of the Damage cards that his opponent should draw.
    The sniper (instead of his opponent) draws two Damage cards of the intended category, looks at them and gives the card of his choice to his opponent. The other card is then shuffled back into its original deck.
    When this skill is used, take four Recovery counters.

LAFAYETTE

BALLOON BUSTER
    see Balloon

EXPERT TRAINER
    This pilot allows a wingman pilot within one ruler (the distance between the edges of their aircraft's bases) to use one of his skills. The expert trainer does not take recovery counters for this skill when used by a wingman, and can even use it for himself in the same phase.
    Single use per game. When this skill has been used, turn this card face-down.

LUCKY PILOT
    This pilot can choose to ignore a single Damage card during the game after drawing and looking at it.
    The ignored card is then shuffled back into its original deck.
    Single use per game. When this skill has been used, turn this card face-down.

DE GUIBERT

EVADER
    see Balloon

FIRM HAND
    This pilot can ignore Rudder beam damage.
    This skill can be used twice during the game. Place a reminder counter on this card each time this skill is used.

STRONG CONSTITUTION
    This Ace ignores the effects of a first Crew damage. Only the points on this damage card are taken into account.
    If this crew member is a pilot and suffers a second crew damage, he is hors de combat and his plane is eliminated; if he is an observer or another crew member, he is hors de combat and can no longer use his machine gun or take photos.

Great information Simon. Thanks!

A very errudite and informative post Simon.
    This will be very useful to those wondering about buying those models.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very helpful, thankyou Simon

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Simon that's really well researched, thanks

Thank you for your comments and rep.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    ESCADRILLE LAFAYETTE
    Wheel flange: dark gray (decoration missing) / dark gray with decoration (die)

DE GUIBERT
    Fuselage decoration: size 7 too small / right size.
    Ares has answered that the factory preferred to do some little simplification (dice decoration missing on wheel flange)
    Ares also had to adjust several times the 7 squadron marking, and eventually chose the small size.

Anyway, the miniatures are quite well done, despite these minor details.

What Dan said.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to see that some of you have received your balloons and Nieuports...Santa must have dropped mine along the way to my house this year! The bright side is, they're at least beginning to arrive...

It's looking like Miniature Market was the worst possible option for purchasing these.
    Which is dismaying, usually they're top of the game. My hold is released but still in limbo...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Which is dismaying, usually they're top of the game. My hold is released but still in limbo...
    Yeah...they've always been MY go-to as well. I've never experienced anything like this; at least not from them.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Yeah...they've always been MY go-to as well. I've never experienced anything like this; at least not from them.
    imo MM has had issues for at least a year. I have many orders with them since 2016 but have had to cancel some due to slow response and poor customer service. Unfortunately, I can't find another US option.

My order still "awaiting release." emailed them 12/6. On 12/18 I got a response saying they would look into the delay with their Purchasing Dept and update me. Still waiting to hear.

Its probably has something to do with Asmodee purchasing MM in Dec of 2021. MM in the past was great. How long does it take for new owners to totally screw it up or make it right?

I haven't bought anything since ordering the balloons last May so personally don't know how bad its gotten. I see many others online complaining about MM service dropping off a cliff.

Definitely will not be pre-ordering from them again - at least not for multiple items.
    Really shows how Keith spoiled us in the past ...

Cancelled my MM pre-order and ordered from: Lingster Games who have them and the N16's in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Cancelled my MM pre-order and ordered from: Lingster Games who have them and the N16's in stock.
    I've just done the same, Chris. No communication from MM while everyone else has the product is really - er, not bright of them. Did they think we wouldn't notice? An email to explain why they didn't have the product while others did would have been good business practice. I will never use them again. Once trust is lost it's hard to regain.

Make that three of us.
    I will never pre-order from them again.

Thanks for the link.

Its probably has something to do with Asmodee purchasing MM in Dec of 2021. MM in the past was great. How long does it take for new owners to totally screw it up or make it right?

I haven't bought anything since ordering the balloons last May so personally don't know how bad its gotten. I see many others online complaining about MM service dropping off a cliff.
    WHAT?! IIRC Asmodee is Fantasy Flight... time to rethink my continued business relationship with them. CoolStuffInc has usually been my backup but pre-Asmodee MM had better service and shipping.

WHAT?! IIRC Asmodee is Fantasy Flight... time to rethink my continued business relationship with them. CoolStuffInc has usually been my backup but pre-Asmodee MM had better service and shipping.
    Sadly Coolstuff seems to be mainly about card games now. Only minis I see are Heroclix, D&D and Starwars. No more Wings available.

This isn't the first time Asmodee/FFG has tried to screw wit Wings, there was the time after Nexus folded when they tried to strongarm Andrea out of the brand.

THAT's why they're on my Blacklist.

4 balloons already on the way from Lingster. Weird.

Crazy theory, I wonder if Ares is slow-walking shipments to MM in light of Fantasy Flight/Asmodee's past underhanded dealings. The MM acquisition creates a vertically integrated pipeline except for the shipping companies and the Chinese factories.

So, MM and ROb are telling two different stories here.

MM: "I apologize for the frustration. Preorder release and arrival dates are subject to change at any time, and those have been fluctuating greatly due to production, supply, and shipping issues, and processing times through customs. For these, it does look like we were allocated on our shipment, and unfortunately we don't have any access to information regarding the allocation or why our shipment was allocated (and we will not be receiving access at a customer service level). However, once we receive the remainder of our shipment, your order will process and ship. If you prefer to proceed with cancelling the order, please let me know and I can have that processed for you."

Rob: "There is no specific reason I know of. They buy and stock normally most of our products. Unfortunately we do not have a direct relationship with them - so we cannot really be sure of what's going on here. I can only confirm these minis are available in our warehouse for anybody who cares to order them, distributor, retailer, or gamer!"

Right now the BS Klaxon in the back of my head is giving me a migraine...

CSI DOES still have Wings! Their Drachens re buried on Preorder though.
    https://www.coolstuffinc.com/sq/1554262&page=1

Listings: (all preorder but no yet in stock)
    https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/369850
    https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/369590
    No planes just Drachens.

4 balloons already on the way from Lingster. Weird.
    My order should arrive Tuesday.
    I got a followup email to my cancellation from MM asking me to rate their Customer Service ...

Almost like Asmodee's trying to make good on FFG's old threat to kill Wings, rip it off and revive Blue Max as a competing minis line... per Rob the warehouse has stock and SHOULD be shipping to anyone with paid orders. I also find it curious that if I'm understanding right MM somehow had stock for the Gencon floor but not for preorders...

And yeah, I directed their Customer Service rep to this thread.

My order should arrive Tuesday.
    I got a followup email to my cancellation from MM asking me to rate their Customer Service ...
    Since MM Service Support handled my request to cancel promptly and correctly I had to rate that service as good. Now when it comes to pre-orders and inventory management, that's another story.

The french editor of Wings of Glory ASYNCRON proposes in its new store Les boîtes de Pandore a special pack Wings of Glory - First World War:
    Pack WOG WW1 Balloons and Nieuport 16 at 98€ (instead of 117€) including 2 Caquot balloons and 3 Nieuport 16 aircraft.
    This represents the Caquot observation balloons at 30€ each, two Nieuport 16 at 19€ each and the third free.

- Both English and French booklets are included.
    - Skill cards for balloons and Nieuport 16s are included in English version (printable PDF for french version).

Free shipping for any command above 60€ to France and Belgium.
    Shipping from 8€ to 15€, to some European countries : Luxembourg, Nederland, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Austria.
    With Mondial Relay delivery service.

And to add to our saga, Miniature Market is no longer replying to my emails.

Welp, two balloons and Navarre for sixty bucks shipped would been a good deal if it had worked out... time to start perusing other listings and getting a Plan B set up just in case.

And to add to our saga, Miniature Market is no longer replying to my emails... time to start perusing other listings and getting a Plan B set up just in case.
    Got my order from LingSter today.
    Would have had it Tuesday but we had an ice storm.
    Kudos to USPS who delivered it - still pretty hairy out there ...

Hurrah!

Finally! Your balloon dreams have finally come true.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-19-2024 at 12:32.

Finally! Your balloon dreams have finally come true.
    Yabbut when will they make it to the table?

Yabbut when will they make it to the table?
    My balloons seem to be in Canadian customs, so I assume I will receive them soon. Given that and that I'm on deck for the March FYM scenario, you will definitely see balloons on the table then if you don't have an occasion to use them sooner.

Wow, I wasn’t paying attention. Did I totally miss the release of these and now they’re unavailable?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Re-release Balloon Busters pleeeeease ;)
    By HTRAINo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 01:52
  2. WGF Nieuport 16 from Balloon Busters
    By Niemandsland in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 00:57
  3. FS: Camo Nieuport 16 (Johnson Prince) from Balloon Busters set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 07:54
  4. FS: Brown Nieuport 16 from Balloon Busters set