Ares Games

Thread: What Scale should I use for scenery?

Default What Scale should I use for scenery?

been looking at some sites and was wondering what scale would be best to use for WoW?

1:300th or 1:285th

I want to try out Gravitypools solo armoured train mission and being a purist I want a train...

any ideas where to find any good affordable scenery that won't cost me a packet in p&p [I live on the other side of the world you know the home of the All Blacks, Lord of the Rings...etc etc ok if you don't get its New Zealand]

Cheers
    GW

Do you want the train to be really small like looking at it from a high elevation? Or larger so the planes are closer to the ground for a bombing run? 1/300 scale trains aren't tiny, probably about an inch +/- per car. I havent seen any miniature trains that big and the closest model train scale that I know of is Z scale, which is 1; limited on variety 2; Very Expensive! I dont know how good your modeling-fu is but you can try a hand at making one. I'll give it a try tonight and see how hard it would be and let you know tomarrow, I've been scratchbuilding models and terrain for about 18yrs plus Im a model railroader! Let you know tomarrow.

Dave

I was wrong! Go to NavWar's miniature page and check out their "Polish 1939 Armored Train" which consists of an Armored engine and 5 cars for 4 GBP. Not sure what their shipping is. Heres a pic of the train painted

Dave
    Last edited by Dathbain; 10-08-2009 at 14:53. Reason: Left somthing out!

If you want to go the card route, I've got some train cards posted in the Knights of the Air files section that I made.

I am more into the miniatures rather than cards. thx any way Col.Hajj

any way I won't be able to do this mission until the stuka miniature comes out.

just need to sort out some scenery and see whats out there... I can get scenery thats around the 1:285th range at a good price but not sure if its the right scale.

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Being the instigator of this i must say that the Navwar train was the one that gave me the idea for the scenario. The scale is 1/285 if i remember well and that is big enough for you to target but smaller than it should be compared to the planes, as to give the altitude impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    Being the instigator of this i must say that the Navwar train was the one that gave me the idea for the scenario. The scale is 1/285 if i remember well and that is big enough for you to target but smaller than it should be compared to the planes, as to give the altitude impression.
    nice I can get JR miniatures range for a good price so will check out what they have and get me some stuff.

and will also contact Navwar to see how much its going to hurt my wallet for the Russian, German trains.

Cheers
    GW

Default Irregular Minatures

If it is any help I use the Ireegular Miniatures 6mm figures, they are relativley cheep, they fit in with both the WW1 & WW2 miniatures, they have a large range both WW1 &WW2, and they are are easy to paint. I also use the 6mm scienic items.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    If it is any help I use the Ireegular Miniatures 6mm figures, they are relativley cheep, they fit in with both the WW1 & WW2 miniatures, they have a large range both WW1 &WW2, and they are are easy to paint. I also use the 6mm scienic items.

I have bought irregular stuff before they are ok I think Jr Miniatures will be cheaper for me in the long run [NZD Vs GBP not good better against the USD]
    and for some reason postage is way better for me from the states then the U.K

I might have to bite the bullet when it comes to the armoured trains unless some one else knows of a company selling Navwar trains that are in the states?

plus does anyone know how to get in contact with Navwar besides ringing them? can not find and email address any where.

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

Irregular Miniatures also do a 2mm range which includes railway guns (listed under the scenics and Accessories section in Miscellany).

I have toyed with the idea of getting some of this stuff to use as objective markers. Long ago I picked up the rail gun and some of the buildings. The rail gun was a nice casting. Still not decided though whether to go to 2mm for the ground stuff and give a nice persepctive to the game, or stick to 1/144th throughout.
    Last edited by Schwerpunkt; 10-12-2009 at 07:33.

If its any help, Irregular Miniatures are also available from Eureka Miniatures in Australia, postage will be cheaper and availability is never an issue as Nic just casts up the minis as required. Here's the link.
    http://www.eurekamin.com.au/
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 10-14-2009 at 20:40. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    If its any help, Irregular Miniatures are also available from Eureka Miniatures in Australia, postage will be cheaper and availability is never an issue as Nic just casts up the minis as required. Heres the link.
    http://www.eurekamin.com.au/
    DOH! Nic from Eureka miniatures yeah bought a bit of stuff off him [Back in the day I did DBA, DBM]

will have another look at what they have.

Cheers
    GW

I can also confirm the service ofered by Eureka Minatures, the WW1 6mm and 2mm ranges are very good and are the scienic items which also are extensive.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jon
    Sorties Flown

How about Paper Terrain's stuff:
    http://paperterrain.mybisi.com/produ...es_9365/?page1

Not an armored train, but fairly inexpensive if you want to bomb trains on the cheap.

I can also confirm the service ofered by Eureka Minatures, the WW1 6mm and 2mm ranges are very good and are the scienic items which also are extensive.
    I am looking at ordering some WWII figs mainly German and Russian tanks. I am going to use them in convoys for bombing runs. [eg make them move like a train across the table.

Objective: destroy the tank convoy before it gets to the front line etc etc.

Or rather then the Stuka doing a bomb dro he has to drop a repair canister to disabled Tiger tank. The Russians have fighters scrambled as they want to get to the tiger and stop the repairs.... etc etc

got alot of T-34's on order a total of 71 varies tanks....mmm alot of painting to be done.

I also found a bit of scenery in the shed that I can use for wings of War. Some hangers, roads, rivers, just need to get some trees and the table top will be sweet.

Cheers
    GW

its amazing what you can find when you go looking for something else.

Found some scenery in the shed. a trench system I was building for another game and it will fit in nicely as scenery for my WWI/WWII WoW games.

Just need to make up some trees and buildings. [now where are those bottle brushes.]

Cheers
    GW

I bite the bullet and decided to get the two WoW play mates. I am wondering how many planes could I play on each of those mats at one time?

We played a game recently with 4 planes with both mats side by side.

but for space reasons and little hands grabbing stuff was trying to figure out if one mat would be big enough for 4-6planes?

Cheers
    GW

I have played 3 planes and 1 Ballon on one mat if that is any help to you all fitted ok but it was swift and deadly. So I recon you could play 4 planes on one mat

I have played 3 planes and 1 Ballon on one mat if that is any help to you all fitted ok but it was swift and deadly. So I recon you could play 4 planes on one mat
    thx Alistair will give it a try tomorrow when a mate comes over for a game.

cheers
    GW

Similar Missions

1. For those who enjoy their DoW in 1/144 scale
    By Roger Wilco in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:33