Ares Games
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Got some Litko bases from Gaming Enhancements. Can make them work. Base is a bit slimmer. 3mm holes a bit big for Wings pegs - nothing that a dab of glue doesn't fix. Trim the peg a bit first or file off later. They have got a clear etched arrow at the top. line at the bottom Over mark with a felt tip marker (colour of your choice) Also need to over mark the etched firing arc for clarity. Not perfect but will fit my simple needs until custom scout bases become available. My Allmenroder can now fly

My Hanriots have arrived!

They're very nice, but they suffer even more from the "droopy wing" syndrome.

I'll try to fix them this weekend.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Got some Litko bases from Gaming Enhancements. Can make them work. Base is a bit slimmer. 3mm holes a bit big for Wings pegs - nothing that a dab of glue doesn't fix. Trim the peg a bit first or file off later. They have got a clear etched arrow at the top. line at the bottom Over mark with a felt tip marker (colour of your choice) Also need to over mark the etched firing arc for clarity. Not perfect but will fit my simple needs until custom scout bases become available. My Allmenroder can now fly
    I use Litko bases instead of the ARES that come with the planes. I haven't had any trouble seeing the firing arcs without any additional marking. Yeah, they have an arrow on the front but we all know how to move our planes so I have no issue with their bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    My Hanriots have arrived!

They're very nice, but they suffer even more from the "droopy wing" syndrome.

I'll try to fix them this weekend.
    Do you use the hot water method and bend them back?

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Do you use the hot water method and bend them back?
    I used that method on all my RAF 3D coloured print planes, and used some of them @ "Beachhead".

However, just yesterday I opened the carry box, to return them all to their correct places in my Collection, and they had all reverted to their droopy configuration!!!

I'm going to have to do it again, probably with hotter water....

I used that method on all my RAF 3D coloured print planes, and used some of them @ "Beachhead".

However, just yesterday I opened the carry box, to return them all to their correct places in my Collection, and they had all reverted to their droopy configuration!!!

I'm going to have to do it again, probably with hotter water....
    I had the same issue with a couple of mine. I had them nice and straight. A week or so later they were warped again. I straightened them a second time and so far so good! Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I use Litko bases instead of the ARES that come with the planes. I haven't had any trouble seeing the firing arcs without any additional marking. Yeah, they have an arrow on the front but we all know how to move our planes so I have no issue with their bases.
    I have been using litko bases as well. I actually like them. I use a fine sharpy marker to highlight the firing arcs and movement arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I had the same issue with a couple of mine. I had them nice and straight. A week or so later they were warped again. I straightened them a second time and so far so good! Only time will tell.
    Maybe the models' strut length needs to be adjusted? There might be some tension in the material with how it is printed. I don't know why that would be, but maybe there's a way to redesign the wings/struts to even it out. It is very annoying.

..However, just yesterday I opened the carry box, to return them all to their correct places in my Collection, and they had all reverted to their droopy configuration!!!
    Probably a reaction to all the hot lead they had to carry home with them !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hello Daryl

Weird question No.236. How easy would it be to produce the George Vaughn Camel without the "N" so I could put my own identification decals on it? More Dr.1s means more Camels

Hello Daryl
    Weird question No.236. How easy would it be to produce the George Vaughn Camel without the "N" so I could put my own identification decals on it? More Dr.1s means more Camels
    It would be possible, but generally I figure that anyone who is willing to do decals would probably just buy the not-full-color version for a lot less money. Should I rethink that?

I've done Italian planes in full color, but I haven't done any Austro-Hungarian planes to fight them. And why not do a plane that has never been available in full color, the (Hansa-)Brandenburg D.I "Star-Strutter"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BraD1-28.10.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	312739

Name:	BraD1-28.11.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	312741

Name:	BraD1-28.15.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	312743

Name:	BraD1-28.33.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	312742

All are from Flik 41/J. More paint jobs will follow, but I'll only announce those on Facebook (and add them to the original post).

These are better fighting Italian Nieuports and maybe Hanriots in 1917 than SPAD 13s in 1918. I'll have to get to the Albatros D.III(Oef) some day to add to the Austro-Hungarian 1918 options.

Good to see some unofficial planes to expand the options, Daryl. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    It would be possible, but generally I figure that anyone who is willing to do decals would probably just buy the not-full-color version for a lot less money. Should I rethink that?
    Hello Daryl

Don't worry, I was in a thinking mood after I'd bought two of your Dr.1s, about more Camels. I 've got a lot of Barkers and put identification letters on top wings. I've picked up the two Camels I need, bringing the total to nine, which will be enough, unless you bring out more beautiful Dr.1s. your models should arrive next week - I wait expectantly

Great Camels and now Austrians, eggzellent!

Now there are 101 full-color prints available! I'm not sure what to work on next: Sopwith Pups, Siemens-Schuckert D.III/D.IV, Alb D.III (Oef), Nieuport 17, SPAD 7.... Too many fun choices.

Spad 7, Squadron 23 please. Trouble is for you they may be a dull job (all silver) but maybe one day when you get bored

Getting quite a healthy collection there, Daryl

Pups would be a fine addition imo. I have a number of profile images from Osprey book and Rogers and online decals, happy to email them if needed.

Also there is a new Schmaling Aeronaut book on Jasta 76 published the end of Feb: Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 76: Its History | Its Pilots | Its Aircraft Markings and Colors.

Daryl. Goring D.III, Frommherz and Lorzer Dr.Is safely landed today. Wonderful, I am one very happy bunny. Ta Everso.

Hello All

A please can you help request.

I do not have the technology and even if I did I doubt I have the technical ability. I need 4 plane cards. Allmonder and Goring D.IIIs and Frommerz and Lorzer Dr.Is. If anyone can help me, please send a PM. I've managed to get the decks sorted. Ta Iain

Hello All

I do not have the technology and even if I did I doubt I have the technical ability. I need 4 plane cards. Allmonder and Goring D.IIIs and Frommerz and Lorzer Dr.Is. If anyone can help me, please send a PM. I've managed to get the decks sorted. Ta Iain
    Hi Iain,
    If you mean you need the image for each card, there is a link for each from their respective Shapeways page or from the Wings of Linen wiki for all my full-color planes. (They are generated using the actual models, since I have little artistic talent.) And I've reproduced them below. If you need help with the actual printing, I'll see if someone in-country can respond first, as the postage and duties and such are a pain for international mail.

I have thought of making the plane cards available at drivethrucards.com, but I don't know if that would be stepping too far onto Ares' turf.

Name:	AlbD3-Allmenroder-card.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	312836 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlbD3-Goering-card.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	312837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDrI-Frommherz-card.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	312838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDrI-Loerzer-card.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	312839

Hello All

Camel Crew,
    I can print them out on 110 cardstock and trim them. PM me if you are interested. Should be able to send them first class mail.

Let this be notice that there are now full-color Sopwith Pups available! You can see them on the original post in this thread, and each picture is a link to the same plane on Shapeways. I will probably add a few more paint scheme in coming days.

Rather than post pictures of them this time, I thought I'd outline the process of creating them. I guess "Step Zero" is to identify which plane-type I want to do and to search for paint schemes that would look good on them. In this case I chose the Pup because it's an iconic plane that hasn't been available to the WoG community in full color before, and I had some well-documented paint schemes between Osprey books and Wingnut Wings painting guides.

Step One: I start with the 3D model I've already got for printing in Versatile or Detail Plastic on Shapeways (WSF/FUD), but I have to thicken all the surfaces to be a minimum of 1mm. I work in Blender for my 3D modeling and export to a format that Shapeways can handle. Shapeways provides a tool that shows where there are problem spots or areas that need touching up. This takes a little time but isn't too bad; it's just easy to overlook a wheel or gun barrel:

Name:	thickness.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	313112

Step two: the hard part; I have to map all of the surfaces of the plane onto a texture map, from which the plane will be colored. There's some art and some science to this, but mostly it's just hours of work. Once done, the model is colored by a generic multicolor image that just shows where everything is laid out on the texture map:

Name:	firstTexture.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	313113

Step three is to fill out that texture map (or "skin") with generic colors, with no individual or unit markings. This is like the first coat of paint on a plane model. It includes a little weathering and texture, but I tend to keep it pretty subtle on these models.

Name:	generic.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	313114

Step four: For each individual paint scheme, I then overlay features that are particular to that plane, like the "Chin-Chow" labelling here. I also customize little things like the position of the prop for each paint scheme. Sometimes I have to do some elements in a separate program and then import them into Photoshop where I'm doing all the layers of the model's texture map. For instance, the "Chin-Chow" lettering here was first done in Inkscape and then imported to Photoshop and positioned and resized as needed.

Name:	LeeRender.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	313115

I do an overhead shot of the model and use it to create a plane card:

Name:	SopPup-Lee-card-small.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	313116

Finally there's the work of uploading it to Shapeways, adding text, poses, links, and prices, etc.

Name:	ShapewaysPage.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	313117

Sometimes I spot something that needs to be fixed, like adding a dash between the "Chin" and "Chow", and I have to redo some steps, but that's pretty easy.

Fortunately, most of the effort is pretty fun, especially doing the individual paint schemes. The hardest and most painstaking part is laying out the texture map in a usable yet logical pattern (Step two). There are tools to do that automatically, but they typically make a real mess of things, and using automatic layout would make steps 3 & 4 a lot harder.

Pups! "Who's a good boy"
    Good to hear about the design process, Daryl. These will be great to have in the game.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight Daryl. Quite a process if you are just learning to do it.

Thank you for the insights into the hours of work that go into each model!

good lord, sounds like work........awesome.

106 now......

Looking for a bank to rob...

@Flying Helmut check your PMs if you're looking for finances...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Yes, it's all in hand...

I'm just checking the multiples, to make sure they're complete, before I can price them accordingly and offer them up for sale

Excellent choice, Daryl, and like others, I think outlining the process is fascinating.

Another awesome looking Bavarian Albatros! Well, there goes my lunch money for the week!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Another awesome looking Bavarian Albatros! Well, there goes my lunch money for the week!
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Dom, your Private Message quota is full!

Items were posted today!
    Please let me know when they arrive.

Cheers
    Tim

Time for another plane type! This time it's the Siemens-Schuckert D.III:

Name:	SSD3-Leim.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	313675

Name:	SSD3-Udet.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	313676

Name:	SSD3-Ziegesar.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	313677

I plan to add a Siemens-Schuckert D.IV or two and another D.III paint scheme or two in coming days, when I can find time. I was surprised that Ares didn't do Udet's red D.III.
    The upper wing lozenge was tricky -- it's applied at a 45° angle, then strips of it were cut to cover the ribs at the normal angle. The narrower lower wings were covered span-wise, which is also unusual. Usually the grain of the fabric runs front-to-back. It also appears the outer struts were often painted in camouflage colors too.

As I was doing the computerized paint schemes for these Siemens-Schuckert planes, I couldn't resist digging out my old 1:300 Heroics & Ros models. They were painted many, many moons ago, without the benefit of decals or reliable paint guidebooks.

Name:	IMG_2035.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	313683

The matchstick in the back gives you a sense of scale.

Small planes made even tinier

Decided to celebrate my upcoming retirement with the other 3 Jasta 18 models to add to the D.VII I got last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Decided to celebrate my upcoming retirement...
    Congratulations! I took early retirement a year and a half ago, and it's been great not having to squeeze in an hour here and there between work hours. I guess it's rather obvious what I've spent some of that extra time on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Decided to celebrate my upcoming retirement with the other 3 Jasta 18 models to add to the D.VII I got last year.
    Congrats! You know, you still are not going to have time do do anything!

Well, the Ernst Udet Siemens Schuckert sucked me back in. Awesome work!

Thanks! I'm trying to decide what type of plane type to do next, since that's all the Siemens-Schuckerts in the pipeline. But while procrastinating on that question, I think I'll add a few odds and ends on existing types, like Holtzem's Fokker D.VII.

OOOhhhh... Nice choice! Holtzem's was always a good looking plane.

118 now

Those Siemens look very tempting - and I can resist anything except temptation...

Next: perhaps some Roland D.VIa/b would be sweet, or SPAD 7's

Tim, no need to show restraint at this point lol. I only have 31. Got 6 of the 7 SSW -- see that's how to resist temptation

oh go on then. I need a Spad VII

Howzabout some Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 or W.19 ?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings