Ares Games

Thread: Siemens-Schuckert R-VIII Giant Bomber

Default Siemens-Schuckert R-VIII Giant Bomber

I am currently working on a bomber card for the little known Siemens-Schuckert R-VIII Giant Bomber. It never flew in combat, coming too late in the war, but thought it would be fun to play. The range is the prblem we ran into as the short range on the measuring stick just clears the wing tip. This gives attacking fighters a huge advantage, even when we made the rule that the stick had to touch the silloutte. I think to make this monster work we need to make the rule simple - if a enemy plane is in range of the bomber, obviously the bombers guns would be in range. The measuring stick are not a realistic range represention anyhow. I have included pictures of the real aircraft and ones of my card and movement cards. A note on the movement deck; the movent has to be measured from the front of the card, as it is too big to use the standard sized cards. Any suggestion are welcome.

Trying to fit very large planes in to the game is hard right now. As you said, the firing range gets messed up. Thankfully, it will not be long before Flight of Giants is out so we can see how it is actually done.

That is one huge plane! :O

Yes it is. Going to attempt to build a model to match the minutures. It will have 13 inch wingspan.

I thought it was a GREAT TARGET and really didn't see the need to change a thing (snicker, snicker) seriously though I really like stuff like this. Once we get all the bugs ironed out it IS going to get used in a game or two!

All it needs is a self destruct destroying everything in a 4 stick radius.

jodiepascal

It was indeed fun to have on the table, although it did get the short end of the stick as a target though...

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

That plane is awesome. I have never heard about this plane. Now I have some homework to do.

That's one AWESOMELY BIG plane!

Hjortfot

Sweet jesus what a plane, rename the rules to flight of the Titans.

Over and out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default bombers

That makes my Gotha look like a piper cub!

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

if a enemy plane is in range of the bomber, obviously the bombers guns would be in range

Range works both ways, if one is in range, the other is in range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post

Range works both ways, if one is in range, the other is in range as well.
    Not always true. Do to the angles on the arch of fire for each plane, it is quite possible that one has a shot while the other does not.

That's pretty AWESOME!

Do we have pictures of it in a game?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Do we have pictures of it in a game?
    Rob.

Magnificent, awe inspiring, superlatives fail me. That is a very unusual event in itself. Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post

Good god that's absolutely massive lol.....

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..."

So cool!

Default That is one big bird!

What a picture! Its like a condor with sparrows all around it. I wonder how tough it was. It must have been a very fragile aircraft.

VG

Whoa.. that looks awesome

Talking

Wow, flying next to that beast must have been inspiring for the Germans, and terrifying for the Allies.