Ares Games

Thread: British Spad XIII's - 23 Squadron

Default British Spad XIII's - 23 Squadron

This project took some time to pluck up the courage but I'm glad I did it and am now very pleased with the results.

Check out Dom's avitar

These are mostly Baracca Spads with the wingtips clipped and rounded, before being totally re-painted

The Roundels are of course Dom's, as are the letters (from the Snipe 4AFC sheet). The triangle eluded me for ages until I found a diamond shape on a Games Workshop Cadian infantry decal sheet, which I cut in half. It's not quite the right shape, but it will do for now.

Again a slight case of bad matt varnish is evident :-(

All I can say is "wow" Tony.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done Tony! That looks like a mammoth piece of work.

Nice work Tony - was rounding the wings difficult - did you use some kind of former?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

That is some very nice work!!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice work Tony - was rounding the wings difficult - did you use some kind of former?
    No just did it by eye. I used a pair of side cutters and clipped the front corners at 45deg about 2mm in, then the back corners at about 60deg, 1mm along the trailing edge and 3mm up the side. Then rounded all corners off with a file and sanding. Some are better than others.

Thank you for all the nice comments guys

Thumbs up WWI: British Spad XIII's - 23 Squadron

Tony!

That is an impressive display, well done!

Rich

They look great Tony.
    Cheers Aled

Really nice job, well done!

I must say, such precise painting of the camouflage patterns. It looks like it was done by a machine in a factory. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    No just did it by eye. I used a pair of side cutters and clipped the front corners at 45deg about 2mm in, then the back corners at about 60deg, 1mm along the trailing edge and 3mm up the side. Then rounded all corners off with a file and sanding. Some are better than others.
    Thanks for that - tempted to have a go myself - but maybe just the one !!

What a cracking piece of work, really impressive well done

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

very nice - puts my Revell 1/72nd to shame. They are a beautiful looking aircraft, my faourite after the camel/pup.

do u have more photos???

Needles

Quote Originally Posted by needles View Post
    do u have more photos???

Needles
    Not at the moment
    Last edited by tonyc206; 12-09-2010 at 01:48.

Tony where did you get the info about the lettering being on top of fuselage?
    Now got to find a Cadian Decal sheet
    Last edited by Boney10; 12-09-2010 at 02:27. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Tony where did you get the info about the lettering being on top of fuselage?
    Now got to find a Cadian Decal sheet
    From the Osprey book and the image below (yes it is a model).

BTW there are 3 white triangles on Dom's Jasta 19 decal sheet. If you need Some Cadian decal sheets let me know. I have buckets of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spad XIII.jpg  
    Last edited by tonyc206; 12-09-2010 at 02:47.

Cheers for the info Tony, I got loads of space marine Decals, but no white Triangles
    I need some letterings so will go to Dom first then take you up if I make a hash.
    Cheers Matey

Absolutely Astounding... I wish I had 1/3 of your painting skillset!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Great stuff... really very impressive...

Well I found a Spad & had a go ! Rounded the wings slightly and repainted it - won't say its accurate so made it my personal kite hence the cowling colour & decal on the tailplane. Thanks for the tips & pics Tony.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=334

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well I found a Spad & had a go ! Rounded the wings slightly and repainted it - won't say its accurate so made it my personal kite hence the cowling colour & decal on the tailplane. Thanks for the tips & pics Tony.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=334
    You're welcome Dave. That's a cracking job mate and it looks great.

Only minor critisim is that the roundels didn't have the white outer on the Spad XIII's, but as it's your personal kite that doesn't matter at all.

Well done matey

Spiffing job old bean. Must get round to a personalised Kite myself, one of these days. Now the Cowman seems to have extremely good taste in these matters. I may style it on his.
    Kyte.

Only minor critisim is that the roundels didn't have the white outer on the Spad XIII's, but as it's your personal kite that doesn't matter at all. Well done matey
    Knew you'd spot the deliberate error - didn't have the correct ones to hand but like you said, my kite my paint job; RHIP and all that, squadron leaders prerogative so I had the erks paint it on so the lads can pick me out easily in a scrap... and any other excuses I can think of when I get picked up on it !

Does that mean the drinks on you sir ?

Does that mean the drinks on you sir ?
    Only if you knock his elbow.
    Rob.

Would that be to knock the bell ?? Im sure we all know what happens when you do that

Would that be to knock the bell ?? Im sure we all know what happens when you do that
    Done that a few times !

Wing Co knocked the bell. Everyone to the bar.

Wing Co knocked the bell. Everyone to the bar.
    This is the best Christmas yet. Now I'm drinking in two threads at the same time. I'll have mine with a sulphuric and lime chaser.
    Kyte.

Tony, my feeble effort

One of these days I will have to break down and do at least two Historical flights... one for each side...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

They look pretty good to me Chris. Well done mate.

Very nice Tony. Did you change the shape of the rudder? (or is that too anally retentive?)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Very nice Tony. Did you change the shape of the rudder? (or is that too anally retentive?)
    Must admit that I just dove into re-painting without realising that the tail was different. I'm not going to dwell on this as we all know what will happen......

Now look here young Chris. I've mentioned this in the other thread already. Now I've got the glass in my hand, and I'm spilling most of it as I frantically surf the net looking for Spads to repaint. You will really have to stop posting all this eye candy.
    Fantastic job that man.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. SPAD Cannon
    By LGKR in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-28-2017, 03:40
  2. Spad XIII Wasp
    By BryanR in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 04:13
  3. ATTN British Squadron Leaders.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0