Ares Games

Thread: Library DVD

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Default Library DVD

Another trip to the library...this time for DVD's. You're not going to believe this, but I watched All Quiet at the Western Front for the very 1st time, and was quite surprised by its quality (even if it was an anti-war movie).

The other was from CBS DVD which inluded footage from CBS news archives, I think. Haven't watched it, yet. Any other ideas for quality WW1 flicks?

World War One themed movies are few and far between!

My favourites:

All Quiet on the Western Front - 1930; you are right the quality is good given the age, still the book is better, I think.

Paths of Glory - 1957; Stanley Kubrick, and Michael Douglas, a great movie, with a wrenching plot.

Passchendaele The Movie - 2007, by Canadian Paul Gross, a brilliantly done (two spots that are awkward, but otherwise excellent!).

The Blue Max - 1966. George Peppard (I LOVE IT when a plan comes together - no, wait...), and the smoking Ursula Andress - ME-OW!

Der Rote Baron/The Red Baron - 2008 - Joseph Fiennes as Capt. Roy Brown - rather odd casting, I am waiting on a friend for the [place online where I can find it ] as it's not available in DVD in North America. Darn Europeans and their fine movies!

Flyboys - 2006. All the German planes are RED. Enough said. It's a bit of a stinker, but with several beverages, it's passable.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

My favorite WWI movie is Sgt. York with Gary Cooper. Another WWI movie is Hell's Angels made by Howard Huges, I have not seen this one but trying to get a copy.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

"Hell's Angels" can be found for download if you search. It is at least as good as "Sgt. York". I went looking for it for the zeppelin scene, because of the zeppelin model I am in the process of building. If the zep in the movie is a model is very very good. One thing to remember about it is that the plane were militar surplus flown by Great War vets and that they went at it so hard five of them were killed.

Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Forgot to mention the cool scene where the plane drops its bombs, killing Paul's war buddy / mentor. I hated that part where the guy dies, but the footage of the plane was excellent!

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Oops, forgot to mention that the CBS news video (DVD) was really interesting with all the photos and vids of actual people, places, war maneuvers, and fighting footage.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Aniother great movie that has World War I aviation as part of it's theme is The Great Waldo Pepper. You can't beat the flying scenes in that one, especially at the end where Pepper takes on the great German ace.

There are also a good number of documentaries out there on World War I that chapters on aviation. I just picked up The Complete Story of World War I at Sam's Club for $18 and it has three DVD's with something like 10 hours of stuff on them.

Default The First Dogfighters, The History Channel on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj7bPQXEUfo

Hope you guys and gals like these 10 minute videos. There is 5 of them. Just paste the web page and go to that site and get a eye full.

Musn't forget the ever popular "Dawn Patrol"
    and "Von Richtofen and Brown"

I've got both of those. "Dawn Patrol" and "Von Richtofen and Brown". I like the oldies but goodies. I just ordered "The Red Baron" the one made in Germany 2008. Hope its good too.

Tom

If you can find a copy of Wings, it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I've got both of those. "Dawn Patrol" and "Von Richtofen and Brown". I like the oldies but goodies. I just ordered "The Red Baron" the one made in Germany 2008. Hope its good too.

Tom
    the movie is o.k

a bit of a soppy love story. the dogfigthts are pretty good.I really liked the shot of the flying circus [red barons squadron] leanrt a few things that I didn't know about.

Like quite a few Jewish pilots flew for the Germans in WWI. really didn't know that.

over all wasn't to bad. could have had a bit more ariel combat.but then again what they did have was awesome. another thing I've found good was watching some of the History Channel programmes on youtube. some really good WWI stuff on there. Learnet about Rickenbacker taking on 7 german planes taking two out and then when the remaing Fokkers [might have been Fokker D va's] finally got themselves sorted out he left the last two seater [I think it was an LFG] alone and headed home. it was stories like that which made me now start with the WWI planes for WoW [I'll get the WWII stuff later]

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    If you can find a copy of Wings, it's worth watching.
    Are you talking about the T.V. show? Or is it a movie... More information please.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Are you talking about the T.V. show? Or is it a movie... More information please.

Tom
    I understand that there is a British series called "Wings" that is pretty good, but I have never seen it.

The "Wings" I was talking about was a black & white silent film from 1927. I've seen it only once, about 18 years ago, but I really enjoyed it. Hard to find, and my memories might be making it better than it is, but I think it would be worth finding.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I understand that there is a British series called "Wings" that is pretty good, but I have never seen it.

The "Wings" I was talking about was a black & white silent film from 1927. I've seen it only once, about 18 years ago, but I really enjoyed it. Hard to find, and my memories might be making it better than it is, but I think it would be worth finding.
    That's like the t.v. show The Rat Patrol. It was great when I was a kid. Its still fun to watch but vehicles aren't to accurate. So if you find that movie on the internet please send a link. Thanks

Tom

Similar Missions

1. Der Rote Baron (2008) movie, DVD ?
    By C Stewart in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:48
  2. Books for historical background and enjoyment.
    By Davot in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 19:52