Ares Games

Thread: FA/Deluxe damage query

Default FA/Deluxe damage query

Greetings,
    Managed to get hooked on this game before I'd even played, and after failing miserably to locate a Deluxe set I picked up Famous Aces, and then before it had even arrived managed to get a Deluxe set second hand from a guy on BoardGameGeek...

Comparing the rules for each though, there's a query:

Observer damage / pilot wounded - FA indicates that this damage card only affects the gunner/observer in a two seater and single seaters ignore it, while Deluxe states that the pilot is wounded and cant shoot after doing steep manoeuvres and unjamming takes longer...

I've now picked up Burning Drachens as well, and that agrees with FA, so is this 'pilot wounded' a Deluxe only variant, and should be ignored? Or use that rule for Single seaters (and two seaters after the observer is killed with the first draw of such a card?)

How do others play this?

Welcome to this great game. Only only real draw back to it is the inconsistent rule books. They even go so far in the new Flight of Giants to mention to use "whichever rule book you have" (not an actual quote).

Both of these rules are optional rules and since the majority of players do not have a Deluxe set, that special damage tends to get played only on the rear gunner of the two seaters.

Hi Dave, the beauty of the rules is that you can use whichever (if any) variant you want.
    There are tons of optional rules that people on here use, I've just picked out the ones I like and use them.

Gaz has a good take on the whole thing. Just use whatever suits your groups style of play. We are always amending and improving on the house rules. Its the most play testing by the most knowledgeable people in the game so it should be good.
    On behalf of the rest of the R.F.C. pilots here in dear old Blighty, may I welcome you to the drome Dave.
    Rob. Aka. Flying Officer Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Smile

My wingman F.O.Kyte has already given you the RFC welcome from blighty, enjoy the site, plenty of info here so get yourself a drink sit down and browse the files. Enjoy.

I only use the optional rules which help me win

Welcome to the aerodrome.

For me its how technical I want to be, when I am playing the game with new players, when playing with experience player we use the optional rules that are suited to the game in hand

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I only use the optional rules which help me win

Welcome to the aerodrome.
    If I may say so Willi, that is a typically pragmatic and clinical approach to the game. I would associate this attitude with a German aristocrat. Well done for being in character.
    My approach is more akin to my hero "Albert Ball " dive in all guns blazing, and what the H*ll.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We use the original rule that the special damage image only applies to an observer (or bomber crew member in the new Flight of the Giants rules.) I have seen where posters to the site have stated that they consider a pilot done if the player draws this image twice, which I find a good idea. However we have always felt that there are plenty of other ways to end a pilot's life in the game and didn't need another game over card. Besides I would be the one to make the two draws every game!

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Revised Deluxe Edition
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 03:51
  2. WW2 Deluxe Set Available in UK
    By DarkMattah in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 14:38
  3. WW1 Deluxe Set in UK
    By DarkMattah in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7