Ares Games

Thread: Custom playmat project

Ginger Javelin

Default Custom playmat project

I've been using my trusty Citadel Battle Mat up until now for playing WoW on. It's a good, robust and flexible cloth with a green textured surface, ideal for many games. It's isn't, however, a particularly inspiring or attractive surface.

I've looked at the official playmats, and they look good but are a bit expensive. I've seen quite a few gorgeous custom made mats on these boards, but I've not seen any comparable ones for sale, so I'm going to have a bash at making my own mat!

(UNLESS someone here makes and sells mats, and I have missed them! If so, get in touch!)

My idea is fairly simple I think:

The BASE- I've ordered six 2x2 EVA foam interlocking floor mats http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTERLOCKING-F...item2307533b0b.
    These are tough foam squares which fit together. This will give flexibility in playfield size and will break down for storage.

The PLAY AREA- I'm going to use the excellent aerial views captured from Google Earth by user Domjan Svilkovic over on BGG. Here is the link to his work, which he has made available for use: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ex-terrain-map

The overall image is split into individual Jpegs. My plan is to print these on A4 Iron on transfer printer paper, and transfer the image onto a thich white cotton sheet. I will then mount each of these images onto the foam bases, and coat with a finisher to give a sealed surface. I'll cut along the jisgsaw like edges of the foam so the board should end up as a set of 6 foam tiles with a decent landscape on the top.

If my calculations are correct, by printing the 16 tiles and then printing an extra column (ie 4x5 A4), I should have a 3 foot by 5 foot playing surface, with a border around the edges of the mats for placing game boards etc.

Has anyone tried this already, and if so do they have any hints and tips? I'm wondering about the best adhesive to bond fabric to EVA foam, and the best finisher/fixer to put on top to provide an even but not too slippy surface to play on.

I've ordered the mats already, and will take some photos as I progress. Fingers crossed, I should end up with a decent playmat for around £40. (£12 for tiles, £20 for transfer paper, about £6 for a sheet).

PS if anyone sees any glaring flaws and thinks this is a dreadful idea, or has tried it and didn't get good results, shout now before I waste my time!

Thumbs up Custom playmat project

Angus!

The idea sounds good! Keep us posted on your progress!

Rich

how about suggesting this for the Col's. new contest as an entry?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A capital idea Rob. Do that!

I think Angus should get the credit, and introduce it. I'm off for a lie down. It's the weight of all these medals, not the alcohol.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-04-2010 at 05:52. Reason: hit wrong keys.

Angus!

Rob and i agree. Enter this into the new contest ideas.

Rich

Its a brilliant idea Angus, I think I'll grab some tile in case they're all gone when I make my mind up about trying it, or something like it.
    John.

Amazing approach. I hope it works well, but the manufacturing process seems too sophisticated/complex for me.

I also am making a new "mat" for my table (5' X 5').

I have purchased some light brown cloth ($2 Canadian) that stretches just a little and fits well onto my 1/2" ply-wood table top. The table-top has an inexpensive hinges so that it can be folded in half for storage.

I am now testing different methods to make the plain light brown cloth more interesting. I will test different spray-paints with and without stencils and also using masking tape, coloured felt-tipped marking pens, "potato-stamps" (with acrylic paint) just like we made in school art class in the old-days, and free-hand drawing with diverse pens/inks.

I have a good "model" to follow and use as a point of comparison - Thanks to Brian's (USMC 1855) photos of his gaming group's gaming-table in-action.

Also I am collecting images (like the aerodrome and Bombing Target markers in the Files section of this site) that I can print-out in the correct size and glue onto thin cardboard. These can be laid on to the "mat" when an aerodrome/bombing scenario is played. I have done this with my old table mat (dark-blue felt material), but this is not orginal - I think that we all use this idea to add variety to our game mats.

I am very interested in seeing photos of your mat as it progresses. I will do the same for my low-tech efforts.

Sounds like it could come out very well! You have to give us some pics as you make it and of the final product!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Good luck on the project! Sounds like a great idea.

Ginger Javelin

My mats have arrived, and fit together very well giving a smooth surface. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a cheap gaming surface.

I'm now waiting for my transfer paper to arrive, and a day off work to start experimenting! If the transfer onto cloth idea doesn't work, I'll probably go with printing onto photo paper. I'm still reading up on how best to bond the fabric to the EVA foam, and how best to get a good final surface.

You can expect some photos as the project evolves!

Angus, have a go at trying the transfer paper right on the back of one of your tiles. If it works, you could bypass the whole bonding issue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Angus, have a go at trying the transfer paper right on the back of one of your tiles. If it works, you could bypass the whole bonding issue.
    Transfer paper uses heat -- melting (and dangerous fumes) might be an issue. Try this first, on a scrap piece of EVA, in an outdoor environment, with an iron that is already designated for being thrown away.

ScottyD135

Default Any updates on this project?

Just was looking through the forum for some ideas on a play surface and stumbled across this project. It sounds promising so I was hoping to get an update on your progress.

Cheers!

hello
    This is what we use to play. I made them with cloth and paintings ( spray gun).

The idea is to make roads, rivers and so on apart so you can put them where you want after . I 'm planning to do the same for my battle of england mat . ( sorry for my bad english..)

these roads and " tracks?" were made for another game , but this the idea ,just have to make smallers roads .( the sherman is not flying ....:-))
    Last edited by fox; 09-09-2010 at 11:17.

Hi Fox.
    Very smart they look too.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Silly Custom cards!
    By =Binks= in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 09:02
  2. 3D terrain project
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 21:39
  3. Custom counters?
    By ff151 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6