Ares Games

Thread: Newly painted

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Default Newly painted

Here's a Fokker E3 I did last fall (not newly painted, but first pic I've taken of it);

Here is my version of a Halberstadt CL2 from Schlasta 26b around March 1918:

And here's my version of the Hannover CL flown by Faschingbaur and Stadlbauer, who were killed in this aircraft on March 6, 1918.

Very nice work. What kits were they made from?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Very nice work. What kits were they made from?
    All Reviresco.

The German Camo pattern is transfers (Reviresco sheet camo pattern) except the partially-obscured pattern on the Hannover near the tail, which is hand-painted (because it needed to be partially painted over anyway, so why fuss with decals).

The German crosses are all Doms Decals. The "6" on the Halberstadts I forget -- could be Doms Decals (from his Snipe sheet) or could be train transfers.

The wind-warping wires for the Eindekker are simple thread. I need to lacquer them a bit more to smooth them.

All three planes have their paint schemes taken from Bob Pearson's research on CD.

Very nice. I particularly like the Halberstadt.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wonderful David. I'm really glad I finally bit the bullet and sent off for some of these. Can't wait to get started.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up Newly painted

David!

Very nice work!

Rich

Im going to build Fokker EIII kit. How did you attach the top wing suppots to the wings?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    Im going to build Fokker EIII kit. How did you attach the top wing suppots to the wings?
    There are little holes; they may get filled and need drilling, and you need to check to be sure they're in the right place (they aren't always). Once they're all good and drilled out with a pin vise, I just used thin black thread and a teeny needle; started by gluing the thread to the top of brace (well, the bottom -- I started at the underside brace, because it is easier to hide small errors on that side) with super glue (cyanoacrylate), then once it is dry, just sew -- out a wing hole, pass over the top brace (pull taut, dab of cyanoacrylate, hold a sec, then continue on to the opposite wing, sew through another hole, now you're on the underside, flip the plane over and pass the thread over the underside brace (pull taut, dab glue, hold a sec) and continue. If you do it right the threads are all taut and you end up where you started, on the underside brace. Glue (and possibly tie for security and glue again) and wait until it is dry before carefully trimming the cut end flush so it doesn't show.

David, they're beauties! I love the dappled effect on the Halberstadt, but the rigging on the Eindecker is just awesome. And it's survived being played with, quite a feat!
    best regards
    Aris K.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Very very nice

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Akosion View Post
    David, they're beauties! I love the dappled effect on the Halberstadt, but the rigging on the Eindecker is just awesome. And it's survived being played with, quite a feat!
    Thanks.

The dapple on the Halb started as a nightmare, but actually turned out to be much easier than I expected -- I had a frayed brush that did the trick. I started with a dull off-yellow base coat, then took the frayed brush and dipped it in green, wiped it off until it was dry enough that the fibers splayed again (didn't stick to each other -- wetter than a drybrush, but not by too much) and dabbed the surface to get a primitive airbrush technique. Same thing after in purple. It took some trial and error, and some practice, but it really ended up looking very close to the Bob Pearson profiles.

The funny thing about the rigging on the Eindekker is it actually makes the wings more sturdy and resistant to playing damage than they are normally -- as large and unsupported as they are, the Eindekker is a little fragile without them.

David, excellent work. The E3 is awesome.

Well my Sopwith Tripe and Brisfit arrived this afternoon. They look interesting to say the least. Looks like a visit to the local hobby shop for some brass wire and sheet. I'm not going to rush these. I think they will respond to a bit of T.L.C.
    Will post pics eventually, but don't hold your breath, as we are off for the weekend, on leave to Blighty.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. What pre-painted options are out there?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 14:42
  2. Blue painted Fokker Dr1
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 07:43