Ares Games

Thread: how to be a good loser?

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

Exclamation how to be a good loser?

Hi Again.

I am seriusly tired of losing now 6 failed missions in a row.
    What ever I do I get slaughterd. and it´s really frustrating!
    But I do not wan´nt to be a bad looser who gives upp and goes raging home.
    I know that the chances of me winning is 1/4th butt it is still a little chance.
    So, HOW should I do? I am not a tactical genius bot my brother are, he is outsmarting me in every move and I can`t do anything about it, but how shall I react and be a good player?
    I know from experince with others that the sweetest victory is that of a player who can accept his deafet, I want to be a good player, so anyone having any tips?
    And yes, I know it is a game, but it is something you wanna win, it is a good game, beacouse iff it wasn´t you would not care about losing it.

HELP ME!!!!

Many Thanks, Nils

OK, try doing the exact opposite of what you usually do. I'm not joking here; my buddy is one of the better players. When things are getting heated, he will change direction, especially if he is in a tailing spiral. This game can seem deceptively simple. To get better at it you need to think at least 2 to 3 steps ahead.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

but it is that with thinking ahead that I really suck at. It is really hard, and I want to play the game for fun. but I really lack the skill of having a tactician head.
    I can play games like warhammer 40.000 with out much difficulties, but this, jisse, I am getting outturned and outgunned in evrey move, and my brother have got a damn good pokerface so you can´t tell by the look of him if his aircraft is badly damaged or if he just draws a 0 after 0 each time. it´s fun but extremly frustrating..

(Btw congrats on your 100th flied sortie!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean_With_Camel View Post
    but it is that with thinking ahead that I really suck at. It is really hard, and I want to play the game for fun. but I really lack the skill of having a tactician head.
    I can play games like warhammer 40.000 with out much difficulties, but this, jisse, I am getting outturned and outgunned in evrey move, and my brother have got a damn good pokerface so you can´t tell by the look of him if his aircraft is badly damaged or if he just draws a 0 after 0 each time. it´s fun but extremly frustrating..

(Btw congrats on your 100th flied sortie!)
    Thanks, didn't even notice. Anyhow, thinking ahead takes a little creative visualization. You have imagine the movement card in front of the plane and then where the plane will end up. As far as your opponant, that comes down to planning for the most likely movement. Believe me it's all guess work, even among the best players.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

you are welcome=)
    I am thinking about concentrating about killing one at the time and not spray at all planes at the same time, but it will put all my planes at risk..

you are welcome=)
    I am thinking about concentrating about killing one at the time and not spray at all planes at the same time, but it will put all my planes at risk..

A quote from Star Wars comes to mind. "Stay on target". You really do need to have a target in mind and plan for that plane. Of course if a target of opportunity pops into view, by all means fire away. However be careful not to get tunnle vision when chasing your prey, you might miss the enemy crossing through the "furball" gunning for you. So try to look at the big picture as well as vocusing on a single target.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

an old aviator quote "if you hunt the prey for too long, you risk to be the prey yourself"
    well I will probably take my machines up tonight for another mission, let´s hope I can bring a burning bird down this time!

Nils

an old aviator quote "if you hunt the prey for too long, you risk to be the prey yourself"
    well I will probably take my machines up tonight for another mission, let´s hope I can bring a burning bird down this time!

Nils
    Happy Hunting.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

well I guess I will be limping home with my tail between my legs, BUT I will shoot at least one of his planes down, otherwise I will try to do a kamikaze on him^^

skinnhuvet

Smile

Well as I happen to be the other player I do not like the thought of a kamikaze run in my planes, but concentrating on one plane sounds like a god idea.
    And happy hunting, dear brother.

good luck!

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

I got killed again, but this time I lerad to use my speed with my spad 13 rather then try to out turn him, but I came up with the idea far to late and got shot down, again, but this time we played for fun and not for the campagin så I was a good loser this time. however, he only had one single hit point left, again>.<

Default Frank's Food For Thought

Here are some things to think about:
    1. Know the capabilities and limitations of your aircraft.
    2. Know the capabilities and limitations of your enemies aircraft.
    3. Deny him his capabilities and exploit his limitations.
    4. Exploit your capabilities and avoid you limitations.

The aces never attacked until the situation was in their favor. Once the fight began they held their advantage. They fought their fight; not the enemies.

The big three:
    Speed - Gives you the ability to go in and come out fast. It the assasin's tool. You go in, kill and get out before they can react. You can get away to get back in the fight when the situation improves. If you force the enemy into steep turns to line up a long shot you have the advantage of speed to get out of range.

Maneuverability - Gives you the ability to turn the tables if you get jumped, or during the fight if the enemy starts to get into the advantage. If he is catching up to you for a long range shot increase your turn rate and you can turn out of his arc of fire. If he tries to turn you have the tighter turn radius and can lead your shot into him.

Climb Rate - Altitude is stored energy which turns into speed. If you have the advantage of a faster climb rate you can increase your energy and use it when you use an overdive.

Have Fun,
    Volant Gun.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

thanks Volant gun, well I only have the speed to my favor, so that is what I ahve to aim at.

Nils, it sounds like you guys are both flying more then one plane at a time, is that correct? If so, see if you can play games were each of you only fly one plane. That will help you a lot in coming to grips with each of the planes and get you to thinking a couple of moves ahead.

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

uasally 2-3 planes two fighters and 1 two-seater.
    bur yes I plpayed one game now with just my spad XIII and came with the conclusion of getting out and getting in was my only chace,unfortunatly for me, I had already lost half my points so I crached later, but I learned and kept my head cool.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

Try german fighters... As I know your brother is doing that?

Name
    Nils
    Sorties Flown

yep, but he is refusing to plasy with any other land then just germany, so I have to keep going with my allied aircraft.

When flying the SPAD, remember that the stall maneuver can be very tricky for your enemy to plan for. The SPAD is so fast most players forget that you can play the stall card and really slow that plane down. The Immelmman is also another great card in that deck.

Another tactic with the SPAD is to fly straight in with your guns blazing, fly out the other side and then Immelmman to turn around to do it all over again. For this tactic you are relying on the high amount of damage the SPAD can take to see you though.

You think you have problems? As I am now flying Albert Ball's Nieuport I have had to take the gun off the fuselarge and rely on the top wing gun. Then I have to get underneath the Hun and fire a burst whilst flying straight, all for a B deck hit. How the hell did he get so many kills. I've been trying for a week now and only got one forced down so far. At this rate the war will be over before I even get Ace status, never mind 40 odd victories. I did get a balloon, so I guess I will go sausage busting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Nils,

Col Hajj's tactics with the SPAD is a good example of taking advantage of speed. Just remember when you do an Immelmman you gain another climb counter. Now you take advantage of speed and climb rate!

Have Fun,
    Volant Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You think you have problems? As I am now flying Albert Ball's Nieuport I have had to take the gun off the fuselarge and rely on the top wing gun. Then I have to get underneath the Hun and fire a burst whilst flying straight, all for a B deck hit. How the hell did he get so many kills. I've been trying for a week now and only got one forced down so far. At this rate the war will be over before I even get Ace status, never mind 40 odd victories. I did get a balloon, so I guess I will go sausage busting.
    Rob.
    You have to keep in mind that Wings of War doesn't simulate the 'surprise' factor that played such a big part of aerial combat in WW1. Many aircrew shot down were not even aware they were under attack until bullets tore through fabric, timber and flesh.

Hi Carl.
    Thanks for the imput. My remarks were rather tongue in cheek, intended for Nils, but fair comment. I chose to fly Ball's machine despite knowing its limitations because he was, like me, a Nottingham lad. I am looking forward, however, to the advent of the series 4 S.E.5 so that I can do a re paint of his. That should put the cat among the pigeons.
    Regards, Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Kungfuhustler

Sorry to hear that you're having such trouble shooting down your brother, man. Siblings are the worst when they win! You said you play 40k without any trouble so I'm wondering which army you play. By knowing your 40k play style I might be able to suggest a good plane or two that fit your style a bit better than what you are using.

Thumbs up how to be a good loser?

Nils! Your brother loves the thrill of victory. You need to convince him to switch sides, or if nothing else a blind pick for your planes. If that does not work play unbalanced games where he is out numbered or outmatched.
    The true test is to fly a plane just like his.

Rich

Try to use the abilitys of your enemy against him, like the speed or the maneuvers.Good Luck.

Try flying a Sopwith Camel instead of the SPAD. The sharp right turns are, in my opinion, more useful than the slightly higher speed of the SPAD.
    Also... what is your brother flying? Albatros D.Va or Fokker Dr.I, I hope. If he's flying a Fokker D.VII then you are at a significant disadvantage to start with!

I feel that I must point out that the pilot that started this thread has not been seen or heard from since April 2010. We can only hope for the best, but I fear he is in enemy hands. An escape is always possible, but he was last seen in sector 40K, and the "Workshop" is not known for taking prisoners.

Similar Missions

1. Whats a good way to get a balanced game?
    By bravofour in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 00:38
  2. A Plug for a good site to get minis.
    By bierhaus in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 17:16