Ares Games

Sopwith Triplane

These models are from Shapeways and designed by Reduced Aircraft Factory.

Based on the information I have for Flight "A" RNAS 10 ("A History of No.10 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service in WW1 " by Mike Westrop) the cowling, fins and wheel covers for this flight were red. Lots of detail given about "B" Flight (The Black Flight", of course, but sadly, not quite as much on A Flight. All of the aircraft used are recorded, as are the names of all the pilots. But until I trawl through the text I still haven't found any information which connects "A" Flight to specific Triplanes or their pilots (with one exception). Info now found and as follows : On 27th May 1917 A Flight (Red Cowling, Fin and Wheel covers) - FSL P G Mc Neil, Flight Commander; FSL H W Taylor; FSL L H Parker; FSL K G Boyd; FSL A B Holcroft.
FSL J A Page may have joined them at some stage too,

"B" Flight were believed to have used personal identifying letters, as well as girls names, based on the initial letter of their surname. It doesn't appear to be known whether or not the pilots of the other two flights followed the same practice. So I have simply used letters A to F instead (again I have assumed there may have been 6 aircraft per flight at full strength, although this was probably never achieved). Wheel covers are another "invention" I'm afraid. The author above simply says they were red, but following the possible practice elsewhere I have made each one slightly different, for the fun of it. Neither have I added serial numbers, because apart from one aircraft, "B" in the flight, I don't know them. Incidentally, I only have a single white letter "B" decal left, so that machine has not been done, until I can get hold of more decals. "Roundels" and "Letters" used are either from Miscmini or Dom's decals (from way back and sadly the last of the latter). Paints are all Vallejo or Misterkit (the PC12 and CGL paints).
  1. Flight A RNAS 10 5
  2. Flight A RNAS 10 4
  3. Flight A RNAS 10 3
  4. Flight A RNAS 10 2
  5. Flight A RNAS 10 1
Showing photos 1 to 5 of 5